Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2019 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- UN Experts: Islamic State Down But Not Out RFE/RL 31 Jul 2019 -- The Islamic State (IS) extremist group may be based mostly in Iraq, but the covert network is poised for an eventual resurgence, a group of UN experts told the international body's Security Council this week.
- UN Warns Islamic State Leader Plotting Comeback from Iraq VOA 29 Jul 2019 -- The Islamic State terror group's self-declared caliphate may be dead, but its leaders are hanging on in Syria and Iraq, dreaming of the day when they can again direct attacks on targets around the world.
- ISIS Caliphate Is Gone, But Threat Remains, Dunford Says CENTCOM 27 Jul 2019 -- There can be no doubt that the strategy to drive ISIS from its so-called caliphate in Syria and Iraq has succeeded, but that doesn't mean the struggle against the ideology is over, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in Baghdad.
- Iraqi troops, Hashd Sha'abi forces purge more areas of Daesh terrorists Press TV 23 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi army soldiers and members of the pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), known in Arabic as Hashd al-Sha'abi, have managed to cleanse more than two dozen areas north of the capital, Baghdad, and elsewhere in the country of remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- IS Decentralizing Into 'Provinces' in Bid to Return VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- A series of Islamic State (IS) announcements of new provinces it controls in recent weeks has renewed debate over the group's possible resurgence after its self-proclaimed caliphate fell, with some analysts warning an increasingly decentralized IS could recover and spread its tentacles to other parts of the world.
- Iraqi forces, Hashd al-Sha'abi fighters purge villages north of Baghdad of Daesh Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi army troops, supported by allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, have successfully purged more than a dozen villages north of the capital Baghdad of Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Iraqi forces begin 2nd phase of operation against Daesh sleeper cells Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi military forces have launched the second phase of a major operation to hunt down the remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group north of the capital Baghdad and surrounding areas.
- Iraqi PM orders investigation into drone attack on Hashd Sha'abi camp Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi has ordered a probe into an attack by an unmanned aircraft on a base belonging to fighters from pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, in Salahuddin Province.
- Turkish jets pound Iraqi Kurdistan after Turkish diplomat killed in armed attack Press TV 19 Jul 2019 -- Turkish fighter jets have launched airstrikes on militant positions in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, two days after a Turkish diplomat was killed in an armed attack on a restaurant in the area.
- Unidentified drones attack Hashd al-Sha'abi base in Iraq's Salahudin Province: Reports Press TV 19 Jul 2019 -- Unidentified drones have reportedly attacked a base belonging to Iraq's Popular Mobilization Forces (PMU) in the Arab country's Salahudin Province.
- Drone Attack Hits Shiite Militia Base in Northern Iraq VOA 19 Jul 2019 -- An unidentified drone or drones attacked a Shiite militia base in northern Iraq early Friday, reportedly destroying parts of a weapons depot and causing casualties among Shiite militiamen and advisers from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and Lebanon's Hezbollah.
- Treasury Sanctions Persons Associated with Serious Human Rights Abuse and Corrupt Actors in Iraq US Treasury 18 Jul 2019 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated two militia figures, Rayan al-Kildani and Waad Qado, and two former Iraqi governors, Nawfal Hammadi al-Sultan and Ahmed al-Jubouri, pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13818, which builds upon and implements the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act and targets perpetrators of serious human rights abuse and corruption.
- EU's Top Diplomat Welcomes Iraqi Efforts To Ease U.S.-Iran Tensions RFE/RL 14 Jul 2019 -- European Union foreign-policy chief Federica Mogherini says the bloc fully supports Iraq's efforts to ease tensions and "avoid any miscalculation" between the United States and Iran.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' 64 Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq: Defense Ministry Press TV 14 Jul 2019 -- Turkish military forces have killed nearly 60 members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a string of counter-terrorism operations in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Iraqi Hashd al-Sha'abi forces launch second phase of op along Syria border Press TV 08 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi fighters from pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) have launched the second phase of a military operation to purge the vast desert in the country's western province of Anbar along the border with Syria of Daesh terrorist group members.
- Iraq launches new op against Daesh toward Syria border Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Iraq's military, backed by Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), has launched a new operation to take out Daesh terrorists in the country's western areas stretching to the Syrian border.
- Iran's contribution is needed to rebuild Iraq after Daesh: Envoy Press TV 06 Jul 2019 -- Iraq's ambassador to Iran says the Arab country dearly needs Tehran's economic and technical support as it seeks to rebuild territories ravaged by Daesh terrorists while insisting that US pressure would fail to break the intimate bonds between the two neighbors.
- 18 IS militants killed in Iraq in anti-IS operations, airstrikes People's Daily 04 Jul 2019 -- A total of 18 Islamic State (IS) militants were killed on Wednesday in operations by Iraqi security forces and airstrikes by international U.S.-led coalition aircraft, the Iraqi military said.
- Supporting Iraqi nation, government Iran's principled policy: Iran's defense chief Press TV 04 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says supporting the Iraqi nation and government constitutes a "principled policy" of the Islamic Republic.
- Terrorist Sleeper Cells, Daesh Fighters Remain in Iraq - Russian Mission to UN Sputnik 03 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi leaders told UN Security Council member representatives during a trip to the Middle East last week that it would be a political mistake to claim terrorism had been defeated in Iraq, Russian Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations Vladimir Safronkov told reporters on Tuesday.
- Iraq setting up own SPV to pay off Iran debt: Report Press TV 02 Jul 2019 -- Iraq is lining up a special purpose vehicle (SPV) of its own, mirroring a European trade mechanism, to continue vital gas and electricity imports from Iran, senior Iraqi officials have said.
- Iraqi new defense minister calls for defense cooperation with Iran IRNA 01 Jul 2019 -- Iraq's new Defense Minister Najah al-Shammari on Monday emphasized the need for defense cooperation with Iran.
- Iraq wants Shia militias as 'indivisible' part of army Press TV 01 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi has issued a decree that further integrates the Popular Mobilization Forces, which have proven a decisive force in Baghdad's counter-terrorism operations, into the country's armed forces.
- Five years on from ISIL 'caliphate' proclamation in Iraq, Security Council makes first-ever visit UN News 01 Jul 2019 -- The Security Council has concluded a first-ever visit to Iraq on Saturday, five years on from the proclamation, by the ISIL terrorist group, of a "caliphate" in the country. The visit, which also took in a trip to Kuwait, saw the members meet senior government, UN and humanitarian officials to discuss the development of Iraq, the humanitarian situation, and the ongoing security challenges faced by the Government.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list