Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2019 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraqi Leaders Say Country Deserves Global Support After Long Fight Against Islamic State RFE/RL 30 Jun 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi has called on the world community to bolster its support for reconstruction efforts in his war-devastated country given the sacrifices it has made in the fight against Islamic State (IS) militants.
- Baghdad Says Turkey Launched Airstrikes on Iraq's Northern Province Killing 4 People Sputnik 30 Jun 2019 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry on Saturday said in a statement that it condemns bombings of the northern Iraq's province of Sulaymaniyah by the Turkish Armed Forces that resulted in four people have been killed and four others have been wounded.
- US claims Saudi pipeline attack originated from Iraq, not Yemen: Report Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- A US report says American officials claimed that the drone attacks on Saudi Arabia's oil pipeline in May originated from Iraq, not Yemen.
- US-Led Coalition Admits Killing at Least 1,319 Civilians in Syria, Iraq - Casualty Report Sputnik 27 Jun 2019 -- US-led forces have killed at least 1,319 civilians while battling the Daesh* terror group in Syria and Iraq, the Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve (JTF-OIR) said in its monthly casualty assessment on Thursday.
- 'Devastating' Islamic State Comeback Within Sight, Report Warns VOA 26 Jun 2019 -- The Islamic State terror group has set conditions for a comeback that "could be faster and even more devastating" than when it first burst onto the world stage, according to a new report out Wednesday.
- President Salih: US won't be allowed to use Iraqi soil to attack Iran Press TV 26 Jun 2019 -- President Barham Salih says Iraq will under no circumstances allow the US military to use its bases in the Arab country for an act of aggression against neighboring Iran.
- Joint Statement by the Political Director's of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS US Dept. of State 25 Jun 2019
- Iran ready to hold joint military drill with Iraq IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Commander of Iran Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiumars Heidari on Tuesday expressed readiness to hold joint military drill with Iraq.
- Statelessness for terrorists' families, never an acceptable option, urges UN rights chief UN News 24 Jun 2019 -- Thousands of suspected foreign ISIL terrorist fighters and their families who are being held in detention in Syria and Iraq, must be treated fairly by their captors and taken back by their home countries, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said on Monday.
- UN's Bachelet: Denying Fair Trials Leads to Radicalization VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet says all individuals suspected of crimes, even former Islamic State fighters, are entitled to due process guarantees. She warns failure to guarantee such risks further radicalization and violence.
- Iran, Iraq willing to improve bilateral defense cooperation ISNA 23 Jun 2019 -- Commander of Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Base, Brigadier General Alireza Sabahi Fard held a meeting with Iraqi deputy Commander of Army Major General Tariq Abbas Ibrahim Abdul Hussain on Sunday.
- Iraq seeks air defense cooperation with Iran after IRGC downing of US drone Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Iraq has called for enhanced cooperation with neighboring Iran in the area of air defense, days after Tehran successfully thwarted an American spying mission by downing a sophisticated surveillance drone over Iranian territorial waters.
- Iraq eager to cooperate with Iran in air defense IRNA 23 Jun 2019 -- Senior official at the Iraqi Army called here Sunday for gaining access to the Iranian expertise in the air defense area and also in conducting electronic war.
- US giant ExxonMobil puts on hold $53b Iraq oil deal over 'security concerns' Press TV 22 Jun 2019 -- American energy giant ExxonMobil has put on hold a $53 billion deal with Iraq over "security concerns" stemming from escalating tensions between the United States and Iran, an excuse that observers say the firm has made up to avoid discussing differences of opinion with Baghdad over the contract.
- Nearly dozen killed, 30 injured in bomb blast targeting Baghdad mosque Press TV 21 Jun 2019 -- Nearly a dozen people have lost their lives and several others sustained injuries when a bomb explosion ripped through a mosque in the eastern flank of the Iraqi capital Baghdad.
- Second Projectile in 24 Hours Targets Iraq's Oil Rich Basra Region - Reports Sputnik 20 Jun 2019 -- A second rocket in a day has landed in the Iraqi province of Basra where foreign and Iraqi oil companies and fields are located, Iraqi security services said, adding that there is no information on damage or casualties.
- Iraqi Army Promises 'Iron Fist' as Rockets Target US-linked Bases VOA 19 Jun 2019 -- The Iraqi army on Wednesday said it was investigating a series of mysterious rocket attacks on military bases hosting U.S. personnel and an oil field linked to the U.S. oil giant ExxonMobil.
- Iraq removes blast walls around Baghdad neighborhoods Press TV 17 Jun 2019 -- Iraqi authorities have removed nearly 30 kilometers of concrete blast walls across Baghdad in the past six months in the wake of a significant improvement of security situation.
- Iraqi base home to US troops comes under mortar attack north of Baghdad Press TV 15 Jun 2019 -- The Iraqi military says unknown militants have launched three mortar shells into an air base just north of the capital Baghdad, where American trainers are present.
- Military Base Hosting US Troops Comes Under Mortar Attack in Iraq Sputnik 15 Jun 2019 -- News about the assault comes amid rising tensions in the region, as Washington accused Iran of attacking several tankers in the Gulf of Oman earlier this month.
- Pompeo Speaks With Iraqi PM, Shares U.S. Assessment Of Iranian Blame For Attacks RFE/RL 15 Jun 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke by phone with Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi, emphasizing "our shared desire for a strong, free, and sovereign Iraq," the State Department said.
- US extends waivers for Iraq to import gas, electricity from Iran Press TV 15 Jun 2019 -- Washington has granted Iraq another 90-day waiver to allow it to keep importing gas and electricity from neighboring Iran, which is under tough US sanctions, two Iraqi government sources say.
- Treasury Targets IRGC-Qods Force Financial Conduit in Iraq for Trafficking Weapons Worth Hundreds of Millions of Dollars US Treasury 12 Jun 2019 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) imposed sanctions on an Iraq-based Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) financial conduit, South Wealth Resources Company (SWRC), which has trafficked hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of weapons to IRGC-QF-backed Iraqi militias.
- US imposes sanctions on Iraqi company over Iran ties Press TV 12 Jun 2019 -- The United States has imposed illegal sanctions on an Iraqi company, citing its ties with the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- U.S. Sanctions Iraq-Based Company Affiliated With IRGC RFE/RL 12 Jun 2019 -- The United States has sanctioned an Iraqi company that it said had helped Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) evade sanctions by smuggling hundreds of millions of dollars worth of weapons.
- Nechirvan Barzani was sworn in as new president of Iraq's Kurdistan region Press TV 10 Jun 2019 -- The parliament of Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region has sworn in Nechirvan Barzani, the prime minister of the region, as its president, in an attempt to complete the formation of the cabinet of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG).
- Islamic State's English-Speaking Supporters Rallying on Telegram VOA 06 Jun 2019 -- English-speaking Islamic State supporters are refusing to give up on the terror group's ability to remain a force in Syria and Iraq, according to a new study that examined their behavior on the Telegram instant messaging service.
- Iran Honors Iraqi Shiite Paramilitary Group That US Labels Terrorists VOA 04 Jun 2019 -- In an apparent effort to sway Iran's public opinion in favor of the regime's involvement in Middle East conflicts, the Iranian government's television channels are airing a video that glorifies a key anti-American Iraqi Shiite group.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' 141 PKK terrorists in Turkey, northern Iraq in May: Turkey Press TV 03 Jun 2019 -- Turkish military forces have "neutralized" more than a hundred members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group following a string of counter-terrorism operations in the country's southeastern provinces as well as Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region in the month of May.
- Two more French Daesh terrorists put on death row in Iraq Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- An Iraqi court has sentenced two more French citizens to death for joining the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and involvement in acts of terror across the conflict-ridden Arab country and neighboring Syria, bringing the total number of former French terrorists condemned to death over the past few weeks to nine.
- Iraq Sentences 2 French Citizens to Death for Being Daesh Members - Reports Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- An Iraqi court has sentenced two more French citizens to the death penalty for belonging to the Daesh* terrorist group, the Al-Sumaria broadcaster reported on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list