Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2019 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve Monthly Civilian Casualty Report OIR 31 May 2019 -- Since the beginning of operations in 2014, the Coalition and partner forces have liberated nearly 110,000 square kilometers (42,471 square miles) from Daesh, eliminating their self-proclaimed territorial caliphate and freeing 7.7 million people from Daesh oppression. The Coalition will continue to work with partner forces to deny Daesh any physical space and influence in the region as well as deny Daesh the resources they need to resurge.
- UK Special Forces Sent to 'Capture or Kill' Daesh Leader Al-Baghdadi – Reports Sputnik 30 May 2019 -- The world's most wanted man – Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi – has on numerous occasions been reported to have been killed or seriously wounded, but is believed to be alive and on the run.
- Turkey says airstrikes 'neutralized' 19 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq Press TV 30 May 2019 -- Turkish warplanes and attack helicopters have "neutralized" 19 PKK militants in a string of airstrikes targeting their hideouts in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, Anadolu news agency reports.
- Zarif congratulates Barzani on election as KRG president IRNA 30 May 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a telephone conversation with Nechirvan Barzani late on Wednesday congratulated his election as president of the semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRG).
- Iraq hands over 188 Turkish children of Daesh Takfiri terrorists Press TV 29 May 2019 -- Iraq has handed over nearly 200 Turkish children, whose parents are being held over membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and other militant outfits, to Turkey to fly home.
- Concern Mounts as Iraq Sentences More French IS Fighters to Death VOA 29 May 2019 -- Rights groups are raising concerns about the lack of due process for hundreds of suspected IS fighters in Iraqi prisons as Baghdad this week condemned six French Islamic State members to death.
- Turkey 'begins operation against Kurdish militants in Iraq' Press TV 28 May 2019 -- Turkey says it has launched a military operation against Kurdish militants in a mountainous area of northern Iraq.
- Iraqi court sentences 4th French citizen to death over Daesh membership Press TV 27 May 2019 -- An Iraqi court has sentenced to death a fourth French citizen for his suspected membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and committing crimes, a day after three others were also condemned to capital punishment over the same charge.
- Pence drops hints of prolonged US wars in Afghanistan, Iraq Press TV 26 May 2019 -- US Vice President Mike Pence has indicated that America's might extend its ongoing military presence in Afghanistan and Iraq, telling young military graduates that they should look forward to see combat in those two countries and other parts of the world.
- Iraqi sentences 3 French citizens to death over Daesh membership Press TV 26 May 2019 -- An Iraqi court has sentenced three French citizens to death over membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and involvement in acts of terror across the conflict-ridden Arab country and neighboring Syria.
- Truck bomb explosion kills five, injures eight in Iraq's Nineveh Press TV 26 May 2019 -- At least five people have lost their lives and eight others sustained injuries when a truck bomb ripped through a popular market in Iraq's northern province of Nineveh.
- Three French 'Daesh Members' Sentenced to Death in Iraq - Reports Sputnik 26 May 2019 -- Earlier, UN Special Representative for Iraq Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert said that a new generation of Daesh fighters might emerge in Iraq if the issue of returning terrorists from Syria is not appropriately managed.
- Baghdad Backs Tehran, Will Reject Unilateral US Action - Iraq's Foreign Minister Sputnik 26 May 2019 -- Earlier, the United States had sent at least seven warships, including the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, to the Gulf region.
- Iranian FM Met With Iraqi PM to Discuss Middle East Situation - Baghdad Sputnik 26 May 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif met with Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi in Baghdad to discuss the situation in the Middle East amid rising tensions between the Teheran and Washington, the Iraqi government said.
- Iraq, Iran stress security cooperation to prevent war in region Press TV 25 May 2019 -- Iraq and Iran have stressed on cooperation between the two neighboring countries to prevent a war that could jeopardize stability in the Middle East region.
- Iranian FM Arrives In Baghdad For Talks Amid Tensions With U.S. RFE/RL 25 May 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has arrived in Baghdad for talks with his Iraqi counterpart and other officials amid heightened tensions between Iran and the United States.
- IS Threatens 'Hot Summer' by Scorching Iraq, Syria Farmlands VOA 24 May 2019 -- The Islamic State in its al-Naba newspaper claimed responsibility for setting fire to hundreds of acres of agricultural land across Iraq and Syria, encouraging its followers to continue the sabotage of "apostate" crops during the harvest season.
- Explosion targeting Hashd al-Sha'abi forces kills 2 in Iraq's Anbar Press TV 23 May 2019 -- At least two people have been killed and two more wounded in a terrorist explosion targeting Iraq's pro-government Popular Mobilization Units in the western province of Anbar.
- US grants sanctions waiver for Iraq to import energy from Iran: Official Press TV 23 May 2019 -- The US envoy to Baghdad says Washington has exempted Baghdad from some of its unilateral anti-Iran sanctions, allowing Iraq to continue importing energy from Iran.
- IS Militants Target Kurdish Farmers in Disputed Iraqi Territories VOA 22 May 2019 -- In a bid to extort revenues from local farmers during the harvest season, Islamic State (IS) militants are threatening to set fire to thousands of acres of wheat fields in territories disputed between the Iraqi government and the Kurdistan region, according to local officials.
- Iraq needs support to 'leave violent past behind', says UN envoy as Security Council extends UN mission for one year UN News 21 May 2019 -- Iraq's democratic transition – weighed down by political infighting, weak institutions, corruption, and the constant threat of ISIL – needs more international support, "lots of time and lots of hard work," the top United Nations official in the country said on Tuesday.
- Iraq Seeking To Help Calm Iran-U.S. Tensions RFE/RL 21 May 2019 -- Iraq will send delegations to Washington and Tehran to help "end tension" amid concerns of a possible military conflict between the United States and Iran, the Iraqi prime minister has said.
- Message to the Congress on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Stabilization of Iraq The White House 20 May 2019
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Stabilization of Iraq The White House 20 May 2019
- Katyusha rocket hits area near foreign embassies in Baghdad Press TV 19 May 2019 -- A Katyusha rocket has crashed inside Baghdad's Green Zone where many foreign embassies are located, causing a loud explosion in the center of the Iraqi capital, but no casualties, Iraqi security services said in a statement.
- Rocket Lands Near U.S. Embassy In Baghdad Amid Tensions With Iran RFE/RL 19 May 2019 -- A rocket has landed in Baghdad's Green Zone near the huge U.S. Embassy compound amid heightened tensions in the region and as Washington withdraws personnel from Iraq due to unnamed threats from Iran.
- Huge Explosion Reported Near US Embassy in Baghdad Sputnik 19 May 2019 -- An explosion has reportedly taken place near the Green Zone close to the embassy area on Sunday.
- Iraq will remain part of 'axis of resistance' despite foreign plots: Nujaba leader Press TV 18 May 2019 -- Iraq's Harakat al-Nujaba Secretary General Akram al-Kaabi says Iraq will remain part of the "axis of resistance" despite foreign-backed attempts to detach the Iraqi society from the regional developments.
- Reeling in Syria, Iraq, Islamic State Tries to Surge Online VOA 17 May 2019 -- While Islamic State fighters in Syria and Iraq have largely been forced underground, the terror group's other fighters along with its media operatives appear intent on surging, combining an increase in attacks with ramped-up output on social media.
- 'Iraqi parl. to vote on bill banning US military presence' Press TV 17 May 2019 -- The Iraqi parliament is set to vote on a draft bill that would ban the United States-led military presence in Iraq, a report says.
- Germany to Resume Training Troops in North Iraq Amid US-Iran Tensions - Reports Sputnik 17 May 2019 -- Germany will resume training Iraqi and Kurdish soldiers in northern Iraq, the German Defence Ministry was reported as saying on Friday, three days after Berlin halted training missions over tensions between Iran and the United States.
- Netherlands Mulls Resumption of Military Training Mission in Iraq - Reports Sputnik 16 May 2019 -- The Netherlands is expected to resume its military training mission in northern Iraq on the weekend, media reported.
- UK Raises Threat Level for Troops in Iraq Over Alleged Risk From Iran - Reports Sputnik 16 May 2019 -- London has raised the threat level for UK troops and diplomats in Iraq over alleged increased security risks from Iran, Sky News reported Wednesday, citing sources.
- Iraq 'will not allow US to use its territory to attack Iran' Press TV 16 May 2019 -- Iraq's ambassador to Moscow says Iraq will not allow the United States to use Iraqi soil to launch attacks against Iran, as Washington ratchets up tensions with Tehran.
- U.S. military says on high alert in Iraq, Syria over threats from Iran People's Daily 15 May 2019 -- The U.S. military said on Wednesday that the U.S. forces are on high alert in Iraq and Syria over fears of "imminent threats" from Iran-backed forces in the region.
- Germany, Netherlands halt Iraq military training amid Iran-US tensions Press TV 15 May 2019 -- Germany and the Netherlands say they are halting their US-led military training operations in Iraq amid rising tensions between Washington and Tehran.
- US orders departure of non-emergency employees from Iraq Press TV 15 May 2019 -- The US State Department has ordered the departure of non-emergency government employees from Iraq, following Washington's repeated expressions of concern about so-called threats from Iran's allies in the Arab country.
- U.S. Orders 'Nonemergency' Government Employees To Leave Iraq RFE/RL 15 May 2019 -- The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad says the State Department has ordered all "nonemergency" government employees to leave Iraq amid growing tensions with neighboring Iran.
- Iraq Yet to Make Decision on Purchase of S-400 From Russia - Ambassador Sputnik 15 May 2019 -- The Iraqi government has not made a decision on the purchase of Russian S-400 air defence systems yet, Iraq's Ambassador to Russia Haidar Hadi said on Wednesday.
- State Department Orders Non-Emergency US Gov't Employees to Leave Iraq Sputnik 15 May 2019 -- The order comes just a day after the US Central Command stated that the coalition forces in Iraq had been put on "a high level of alert" due to possible imminent threats to them.
- Amid Tension With Iran, US Pulls Non-Essential Staff From Iraq VOA 15 May 2019 -- The United States on Wednesday ordered its non-emergency employees to leave Iraq, as American lawmakers worried openly about a potential march to war with Iran.
- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Press Briefing By Maj. Gen. Ghika via Satellite From Baghdad, Iraq DoD 14 May 2019 -- U.K. Maj. Gen. Chris Ghika, deputy commander, Strategy and Information, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Sean Robertson, Pentagon Spokesman
- ISIS Continues To Pose Significant Threat, OIR Official Says DoD News 14 May 2019 -- ISIS still poses a significant threat to Iraq and Syria and to the wider world, the deputy commander for stability for Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command Operation Inherent Resolve said today.
- US-Led Coalition on 'High Alert' Over Possible Threats to US Forces in Iraq Sputnik 15 May 2019 -- The US-led coalition is on high alert as it monitors credible threats to American forces in Iraq, US Central Command spokesman Bill Urban said in a statement.
- Iraqi Foreign Fighters Lurk in Syrian Shadows VOA 11 May 2019 -- By late February and early March, it had become a common scene on the far outskirts of the northeastern Syrian town of Baghuz: evacuees from the Islamic State terror group's final scrap of territory huddled on the desert floor, empty water bottles littering the ground as they waited to be vetted and taken to a displaced persons camp.
- Pompeo Makes Unexpected Trip To Iraq, Warns Of 'Escalating' Iranian Activity RFE/RL 08 May 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made an unannounced visit to Baghdad, where he met with Iraqi officials to discuss the United States' security concerns amid what he called "escalating" Iranian activity.
- CJTF-OIR Strike Summary April 21 - May 04, 2019 CENTCOM 07 May 2019 -- Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to target and pursue the enduring defeat of Daesh.
- Fears Grow Islamic State's Foreign Fighters Ready to Carry On VOA 07 May 2019 -- Even as the Islamic State's caliphate was clinging to life with its last defenders cornered in a small town in northeastern Syria, the terror group managed to shock those who would eventually see it die.
- Iraqi Air Force to receive four more KAI T-50 Golden Eagle warplanes Press TV 07 May 2019 -- The Iraqi military is going to receive a new batch of South Korean KAI T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic advanced trainers and light combat aircraft under a deal struck between Baghdad and Seoul several years ago.
- Iraq rebuffs US demand to stop Iran energy imports Press TV 07 May 2019 -- Iraq's Electricity Minister Luay al-Khateeb says his country brushed aside US demands that Baghdad stop gas and power imports from neighboring Iran.
- Mike Pompeo Arrives in Baghdad for Unannounced Visit - Report Sputnik 07 May 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has arrived in Baghdad unannounced, AFP reported citing a source in the Iraqi government.
- Pompeo Visits Iraq Amid Reports of Iranian Missile Threat VOA 07 May 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has made an unscheduled visit to Iraq, amid growing tensions with Iran after intelligence reports indicated that Iran moved short-range ballistic missiles by boat in waters off its shores.
- US firm Blackwater training Daesh terrorists in Iraq, eyeing Syria: report Press TV 06 May 2019 -- The notorious US mercenary firm Blackwater has returned to Iraq, a Lebanese newspaper says, with the private company currently training defeated Daesh terrorists at a base near Baghdad.
- Iraq to Demand Cash for Islamic State Detainees VOA 06 May 2019 -- Iraq is expected to make a formal request to Paris for financial support for the incarceration of French Islamic State suspects sent to Baghdad from Kurdish-controlled camps in northern Syria, say diplomats.
- Iran ready to reinforce Iraqi defenses: IRGC aerospace cmdr. Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Iran is prepared to offer various types of assistance to reinforce Iraq's defensive capabilities, including the sharing of experience, says a senior Iranian military commander.
- Syrian army and Iraqi PMU forces successfully finish joint border operation Press TV 04 May 2019 -- The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) and Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) have successfully finished a joint operation clearing the Iraq-Syria border area of remaining Daesh terrorists.
- Iraqi forces thwart Daesh plan to regroup in northern Iraq: Report Press TV 04 May 2019 -- Iraqi government forces have thwarted an attempt by remnants of the terrorist group of Daesh to regroup in the country's northern province of Nineveh, killing a number of the extremists, including a high-profile commander, in the process.
- Iran to raise gas exports to Iraq despite US opposition Press TV 01 May 2019 -- Iran is about to raise gas exports to neighboring Iraq to 35 million cubic meters a day this year, head of the National Iranian Gas Company (NIGC) Hassan Montazer Torbati said on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list