Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2019 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Parliament Speaker Says Iraq Will Need To Buy Iranian Electricity For Three Years RFE/RL 30 Mar 2019 -- The speaker of Iraq's parliament wants the United States to extend a waiver that allows it to buy electricity from Iran for at least three years, saying it will take that long before the oil-rich country can manage on its own.
- Iraq needs to import electricity from Iran for 3 years: Parliament speaker Press TV 30 Mar 2019 -- Iraqi Parliament Speaker Mohammed al-Halbusi says he hopes the United States will keep waiving sanctions on energy imports from neighboring Iran, noting that the Arab country will need to purchase electricity from the Islamic Republic for three years.
- Iraq Wants 'Payback' From Islamic State Foreign Fighters VOA 30 Mar 2019 -- Iraqi lawmakers are demanding members of the Islamic State terror group pay for their crimes, and not just with prison terms or the death penalty.
- Department of the Army announces upcoming 1st BCT, 25th ID, U.S. Army Alaska unit rotation Army News 29 Mar 2019 -- The Department of the Army announced today the summer 2019 rotation to Iraq of the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, U.S. Army Alaska, stationed at Fort Wainwright, Alaska.
- Fight is not over: Iraqi clearances spearhead fight against Daesh in Iraq CENTCOM 29 Mar 2019 -- Coalition and Iraqi Security Forces conducted a coordinated air and ground operation, and several clearance operations against Daesh's networks in northern and western Iraq from March 25 to 27, 2019.
- Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve Monthly Civilian Casualty Report CENTCOM 29 Mar 2019 -- Since the beginning of operations in 2014, the Coalition and partner forces have liberated nearly 110,000 square kilometers (42,471 square miles) from Daesh, eliminating their self-proclaimed territorial caliphate and freeing 7.7 million people from Daesh oppression.
- Readout of Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick M. Shanahan's Meeting With Iraqi Council of Representatives Speaker Mohammed al-Halbousi DoD 27 Mar 2019
- Coalition Strikes Daesh Network in Iraq CENTCOM 25 Mar 2019 -- Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve continues conducting airstrikes against Daesh targets in Iraq in support of Iraqi Security Force activities as part of ongoing operations to eliminate their insurgence network.
- Suspected Daesh bomb attack hits northern Iraq, terrorists dead: Army Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- Iraq's army says three suspected Daesh Takfiri terrorists have died after blowing themselves up in northern Iraq but there were no casualties among government forces.
- Trump claims liberation of all IS-controlled territory in Syria, Iraq People's Daily 24 Mar 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump claimed Saturday the "liberation" of all territory controlled by the Islamic State (IS) in Syria and Iraq, while vowing to remain vigilant until "it is finally defeated."
- US Extends Iraq Waiver for Purchasing Electricity From Iran for 3 Months Sputnik 20 Mar 2019 -- The United States has extended for 90 days its waiver which exempts Iraq from sanctions for buying electricity from Iran, a State Department spokesperson told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- US renews waiver for Iraq to continue Iran trade Press TV 20 Mar 2019 -- The Trump administration says it is extending a 90-day waiver for the second time to let Iraq continue energy imports from Iran which is under draconian US sanctions.
- U.S. Extends Waiver To Allow Iraq To Buy Iranian Energy Supplies RFE/RL 20 Mar 2019 -- The United States is extending a waiver to allow Iraq to continue to buy electricity from Iran, despite sanctions imposed by Washington targeting Tehran's energy sector.
- US stance against Hashd Sha'abi forces violates Iraqi sovereignty: Lawmaker Press TV 17 Mar 2019 -- An Iraqi legislator has condemned recent remarks by US State Department Deputy Spokesperson Robert Palladino against pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), describing them as "prejudicial" and "in violation of the sovereignty of Iraq."
- CJTF-OIR Strike Summary Feb. 24 - March 9, 2019 CENTCOM 15 Mar 2019 -- Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to target and pursue the enduring defeat of Daesh.
- Iraqi Security Forces working hard to deny Daesh transition CENTCOM 15 Mar 2019 -- Anbar Operations Command conducted a series of air assault operations and major clearances targeting known Daesh locations in Anbar province, Iraq, Feb. 26 – March 2, 2019.
- Iran, Iraq can play more significant role in solving regional, global issues: Rouhani Press TV 13 Mar 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says Iran and Iraq can further cooperate and play a more significant role in solving regional and international issues.
- No IS Kids Left Behind: Tajikistan To Repatriate Dozens Of Islamic State Children From Iraq RFE/RL 12 Mar 2019 -- As Islamic State's attempt to establish a caliphate crumbles, many countries are turning their backs on children born into the extremist group. Tajikistan is not one of those countries.
- PMF has key role in Iraq's stability, culture, solidarity: Iran President ISNA 12 Mar 2019 -- President of the Islamic Republic of Iran stated that today, the Iranian and Iraqi governments are determined to develop all-inclusive relations between the two countries, and stressed that all authorities should work in this regard.
- Iraqi soil won't be used to attack neighbors, Defense Ministry says Press TV 12 Mar 2019 -- A spokesman for the Iraqi Defense Ministry has condemned a recent statement by US President Donald Trump that American forces must remain in Iraq so Washington can keep a close eye on neighboring Iran, stressing that his country would never allow outsiders to use its territory for military action against any neighbor.
- In joint statement, Iran, Iraq hail 'turning point' in 'strategic' cooperation Press TV 12 Mar 2019 -- Tehran and Baghdad have hailed Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's historic three-day visit to Iraq as a "turning point" in efforts to strengthen "strategic" cooperation between the two neighbors based on non-interference in each other's internal affairs.
- Zarif says US can't stop Iran-Iraq relations Press TV 12 Mar 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States cannot "stop" Iran and Iraq's mutual relations, reminding that Baghdad has established the ties of its own accord.
- US Official: Iranian Regime Wants Iraq to Become a Province of Iran VOA 12 Mar 2019 -- U.S. Special Representative for Iran, Brian Hook, blasted Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Iraq and accused his government of trying to control Iraq by fueling sectarian conflict in the country.
- A more secure, stable Iraq makes more secure region: Iran President ISNA 11 Mar 2019 -- Stating that, "In Iraq, we feel at home," Iranian President said, "Relations between the two Iranian and Iraqi nations go back to thousands of years ago, and we are willing to further develop our religious, cultural, historical and regional relations".
- Iran's Rohani In Iraq On First Official Visit RFE/RL 11 Mar 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani is on a three-day visit to Iraq, seeking to bolster Tehran's influence in the neighboring country and expand commercial ties as Baghdad is under pressure from the United States to limit ties with Tehran.
- Iraq will not be part of US sanctions regime against Iran: President Salih Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Iraq's President Barham Salih says his country will not be part of a regime of unilateral sanctions imposed by the United States against Iran and will do its best to reduce the damage done to the Iranian nation as a result of the bans.
- Iran will be opening new chapter with Iraq: Zarif Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says an upcoming visit by President Hassan Rouhani to Iraq – the president's first – will be the beginning of a new chapter in Tehran-Baghdad relations.
- Iraq rejects foreign forces deployment, military bases on its territory: Shia cleric Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Iraqi Shia cleric and the leader of the National Wisdom Movement says his fellow countrymen and women reject both a permanent foreign military base on Iraq's territory and the deployment of foreign combat forces to the Arab country.
- US Commanders Once Again Warn Syria, Iraq at Risk of Daesh Resurgence Sputnik 08 Mar 2019 -- As Daesh loses its final sliver of territory in Syria, US and Iraqi leaders are warning the militant group isn't gone for good, and some think tanks are warning that the group could reemerge powerfully in Iraq. Those dangers, however, seem nearly as overblown as those the Pentagon is employing to keep US troops in Syria.
- Iraqi popular forces urge ouster of US troops after ban Press TV 08 Mar 2019 -- Iraq's popular resistance forces have condemned US sanctions on Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba and called for measures to oust American troops from the country.
- Iraq captures high-ranking Daesh cmdr. over 2014 Camp Speicher massacre Press TV 07 Mar 2019 -- Iraqi government forces have arrested a high-ranking commander of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group wanted for the June 2014 massacre of hundreds of military soldiers at an air force camp in the country's central city of Tikrit.
- Iran, Iraq reaffirm resolve to bolster neighborly ties Press TV 07 Mar 2019 -- Iraq's top parliamentarian holds talks with high-ranking Iranian officials on a wide range of issues, including ways to bolster bilateral relations, uproot terrorism and strengthen regional peace.
- US sanctions Iraq's Nujaba Shia group known for role in anti-terror fight Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- The United States has sanctioned Iraq's Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba, a Shia movement known for its active cooperation with the national army in counter-terrorism operations, which led to the collapse of the Takfiri terror group of Daesh in late 2017.
- Iran hails Iraq's security situation after Daesh defeat Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Iran's Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani has expressed satisfaction with the current security situation in neighboring Iraq, which managed to defeat the Takfiri terror group of Daesh in late 2017 with the help of Tehran.
- Decommissioned F-117 Nighthawks Were Used in Syria, Iraq in 2017 – Report Sputnik 03 Mar 2019 -- The once famous F-117 stealth attack jets were decommissioned several years after one was shot down over Yugoslavia in March 1999 by a Soviet-made S-125 missile defence system and after the F-22 took over some of the F-117's roles, when precision strikes were deemed essential for a mission.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list