Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- AFCENT publishes October Airpower Summary AFNS 30 Nov 2018 -- "Our mission is to deliver decisive air and space power on behalf of U.S. Central Command for the security and stability of the region. We do this mission proudly, alongside our international, joint and interagency partners," said Lt. Gen. Joseph Guastella, Combined Forces Air Component commander.
- Top Hashd al-Sha'abi cmdr., four aides killed in Iraq's Diyala bomb attack Press TV 29 Nov 2018 -- A senior commander of the pro-government Popular Mobilization Units has been killed in a bomb attack in Iraq's eastern province of Diyala as government troops and allied fighters are engaged in joint counter-terrorism operations across the crisis-hit Arab country to flush out the last remnants of the extremist outfit.
- Iran bank rejects US claims of illegal money transfer to Iraq Press TV 29 Nov 2018 -- The Bank Melli Iran (BMI) has dismissed a claim by US Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) that it has been funneling "billions of dollars" to its Iraqi branch in order to fund militias.
- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Press Briefing By Col. Ryan via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 27 Nov 2018 -- Colonel Sean J. Ryan, spokesman, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Sean Robertson, Pentagon spokesman
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 26 Nov 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- Leader of Iraqi Shia group urges formal border security role for Shia fighters Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- The head of a powerful Shia group in Iraq says Shia paramilitaries in the Arab country should have a formal role in securing the border with Syria and defend the Iraqi people against terror outfits, particularly the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group.
- Iraqi Security Forces Eliminate Senior Daesh Leader 'Katkut' - US-Led Coalition Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- The US-led coalition reported earlier in October that with help of Iraqi Special Forces they managed to arrest 10 members of a suspected network that provided funds to the Daesh* terror group.
- Iraqi MP warns of 'dangerous' US plan to target Hashd al-Sha'abi bases Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- An Iraqi lawmaker has warned of a "dangerous" US plot to target military bases run by Hashd al-Sha'abi, a paramilitary force that has actively cooperated with the Iraqi army in counter-terrorism operations.
- Iraqi lawmakers call for end to US military presence Press TV 24 Nov 2018 -- Iraqi lawmakers have called for the withdrawal of US troops, saying they see no justification for the presence of foreign troops about a year after the defeat of the Daesh terrorist group in Iraq.
- Iran official rejects Iraqi gas payment in dinar Press TV 21 Nov 2018 -- Iran's Deputy Minister of Petroleum Amir Hossein Zamaninia says Iraq has to pay in euros for the gas imported from Iran, dismissing the use of the Iraqi dinar for the payment.
- Conflict and inequality shape children's lives in Iraq; UNICEF urges 'right policies' for protection UN News 19 Nov 2018 -- Conflict and inequality remain the defining features of children being raised in Iraq today, according to the first comprehensive survey conducted by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) in seven years.
- Iraqi airstrikes kill nearly dozen Daesh Takfiri terrorists Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Nearly a dozen members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed when Iraqi Air Force fighter jets carried out separate airstrikes against militant hideouts in the country's north-central province of Salahuddin.
- Iran, Iraq consider using local cash in mutual trade Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Iran says it is discussing a plan with Iraq to switch to dinar in trade instead of the US dollar.
- Over two dozen Daesh remnants slain in Iraqi army airstrikes, ground operations Press TV 17 Nov 2018 -- More than two dozen members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed as Iraqi air forces and government troops launched separate counter-terrorism operations across the crisis-hit Arab country to flush out the last remnants of the extremist outfit.
- Iraq Resumes Oil Exports From Kirkuk Under U.S. Pressure RFE/RL 17 Nov 2018 -- Under pressure from Washington, Iraq has restarted exports of oil from Kirkuk that were halted a year ago due to a standoff between the central government and Iraq's Kurdish semiautonomous region.
- Iran, Iraq committed to win-win relations: FM Zarif Press TV 17 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has expressed his delight at the current visit by Iraqi President Barham Salih and his accompanying delegation to Tehran, saying Iran and Iraq are committed to win-win cooperation.
- Baghdad, Erbil Agree to Resume Kirkuk Oil Exports - Iraqi Oil Ministry Sputnik 16 Nov 2018 -- The authorities of Iraq and of Iraqi Kurdistan have agreed to resume oil exports from the Kirkuk oil field in the autonomous region after a long suspension, the spokesman for the Iraqi Oil Ministry, Assim Jihad, told Sputnik on Friday.
- Iraq rejects US deadline to halt Iran gas imports Press TV 14 Nov 2018 -- Iraq has rejected a US deadline to stop importing Iranian gas, warning that any halt to the supplies would create a real power crisis which sparked several days of unrest in Basra and elsewhere this summer.
- Iraq Seeking To Trade Food For Iranian Energy Supplies, Officials Say RFE/RL 14 Nov 2018 -- Baghdad has agreed with Tehran to exchange Iraqi food items for Iranian energy supplies and has requested permission from the United States to extend its sanctions waiver to allow the deal to proceed, Iraqi officials have been quoted as saying.
- So Much for Sanctions: Iraq Rejects US Deadline on Trade With Iran - Reports Sputnik 14 Nov 2018 -- This week, the Trump administration promised to "squeeze" Iran "until the pips squeak" with new measures following the introduction of tough new unilateral sanctions against Tehran earlier this month targeting the country's energy, banking and shipping sectors.
- Iranian Businesses Look To Iraq To Expand Amid U.S. Sanctions RFE/RL 14 Nov 2018 -- With U.S. sanctions cutting into Iran's oil exports and global trade, Iranian businesses have been looking to expand their presence in a traditional market -- Iraq.
- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Press Briefing by U.K. Army Maj. Gen. Christopher Ghika via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 13 Nov 2018 -- U.K. Army Maj. Gen. Christopher Ghika, Deputy Commander for Strategy and Information, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Sean Robertson, Pentagon Spokesman
- Turkey's fighter jets kill 19 PKK militants in northern Iraq Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- Turkish warplanes have killed 19 members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in a string of airstrikes against terrorist hideouts in northern Iraq.
- NATO Leads New Mission to Develop Iraq's Defense Institutions AFPS 13 Nov 2018 -- A new NATO-led mission in Iraq will work to further develop Iraq's security institutions and structures, British Army Maj. Gen. Christopher Ghika told Pentagon reporters here today.
- Daesh militant attack on Hashd Sha'abi cmdr. home in western Iraq leaves 9 dead Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- At least nine people have been killed after Daesh Takfiri terrorists broke into the house of a commander of pro-government fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units in Iraq's western province of Anbar as army troopers, backed by their allies, are trying to flush the last remnants of the foreign-sponsored terror group out of the crisis-hit Arab country.
- Airstrikes kill over dozen Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Turkish military aircraft have "neutralized" more than a dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they carried out a string of airstrikes against terrorist hideouts in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Iraqi Hashd Sha'abi forces foil Daesh infiltration attempt into Syria Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Pro-government Iraqi fighters from Popular Mobilization Units have successfully managed to thwart an attempt by members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group to sneak through the desert areas of the country's western province of Anbar into Dayr al-Zawr province in neighboring Syria.
- Iraqi MPs plan motion to seek expulsion of US troops Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- A senior Iraqi politician says the Iraqi parliament will discuss the withdrawal of US forces from the country amid rising unease at Washington's meddling in Baghdad's internal affairs.
- Good relations with Iran in Iraq's best interests: President Salih Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Iraq's newly elected president says it is in his country's best interests to have "good and stable relations" with Iran, urging the United States to consider Baghdad's political and economic position in talks about imposed sanctions on Iran.
- 15 PKK militants 'neutralized' in northern Iraq: Turkey Press TV 10 Nov 2018 -- Turkey's military has claimed to have "neutralized" 15 militants of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) after striking the group's hideouts and armories in Iraq.
- Iraq to import electricity from Iran after US sanctions waiver IRNA 09 Nov 2018 -- Per the US sanctions waiver, Iraq will be entitled to import electricity from Iran.
- US War on Terror Kills Nearly 500,000 in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan VOA 08 Nov 2018 -- A study released Thursday says the U.S.-led war on terrorism has killed about 507,000 people in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan during its 17 years and is showing a 22 percent increase in deaths in the past two years.
- US exempts Iraq in further retreat on Iran sanctions Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- Iraq will continue importing electricity and natural gas from Iran under an exemption from US sanctions, the special representative for Iran at the US State Department Brain Hook has said.
- Over 200 Mass Graves Discovered in Iraq - UN Report Sputnik 06 Nov 2018 -- Over 200 mass graves containing the remains of thousands of people have been discovered in Iraq on territories previously controlled by Daesh, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said in a report released on Tuesday.
- Over 200 mass graves of Daesh victims found in Iraq, UN report says Press TV 06 Nov 2018 -- The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) says more than 200 mass graves, containing the remains of thousands of people, have been discovered in territories previously controlled by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Iraq.
- ISIL's 'legacy of terror' in Iraq: UN verifies over 200 mass graves UN News 06 Nov 2018 -- Investigators have uncovered more than 200 mass graves containing thousands of bodies in areas of Iraq formerly controlled by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh), according to a United Nations human rights report out on Tuesday.
- UN: 200 Mass Graves of Islamic State Victims Found in Iraq VOA 06 Nov 2018 -- The United Nations said Tuesday more than 200 mass graves have been found in Iraq overwhelmingly containing victims of Islamic State violence.
- Iraq Blasts U.S. For Statements On Iranian-Backed Militias RFE/RL 04 Nov 2018 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry has issued a rare rebuke of its American ally, asserting that a U.S. Twitter posting concerning neighboring Iran "goes beyond diplomatic norms" and represents an "interference" in Iraq's internal affairs.
- Iraq's Salahuddin provincial governor survives assassination attempt Press TV 01 Nov 2018 -- The governor of Iraq's central province of Salahuddin has escaped a roadside bomb explosion unhurt as government forces and allied fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units are engaged in joint operations to cleanse the country of the last remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list