Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- U.S. Air Forces Central Command September Airpower Summary AFNS 31 Oct 2018 -- U.S. Air Forces Central Command published its September Airpower Summary today, highlighting airpower operations in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 30 Oct 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- Iraqi Air Force receives six more KAI T-50 Golden Eagle warplanes Press TV 28 Oct 2018 -- The Iraqi military has received a new batch of South Korean KAI T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic advanced trainers and light combat aircraft under a deal struck between Baghdad and Seoul several years ago.
- Iraqi PM Vows to Prioritize Iraq's Interests With Regard to US Sanctions on Iran Sputnik 26 Oct 2018 -- Baghdad will act in accordance with its national interests when it comes to the US sanctions against Iran, Sky News Arabia TV channel reported on Thursday, citing Iraq's new prime minister, Adel Abdul Mahdi.
- New Iraqi PM, two-thirds of proposed ministers sworn in Press TV 25 Oct 2018 -- New Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi and almost two-thirds of his ministerial picks were sworn in on Wednesday, but lawmakers failed to reach a consensus on the rest of the cabinet, postponing the votes to November 6.
- Iraq to prioritize own interests as regards US sanctions on Iran: PM Press TV 25 Oct 2018 -- New Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi says Baghdad will prioritize its own interests and independence when it comes to implementing unilateral US sanctions on Iran.
- US Military: IS Still Poses Threat in Iraq, Syria VOA 24 Oct 2018 -- Despite the anti-Islamic State campaign being waged in both Iraq and Syria, the terror group can still attack coalition forces and their local partners in both countries, Col. Sean Ryan, spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition, said.
- Barzani's party wins most seats in Kurdish regional parliament election Press TV 21 Oct 2018 -- Massud Barzani's Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) has secured the most seats in the semi-autonomous region's parliament, the local electoral commission says.
- Daesh command center reduced to rubble in Iraq's Diyala: Report Press TV 20 Oct 2018 -- A high-ranking Iraqi security official says pro-government fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units have managed to completely destroy the command center of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the Arab country's eastern province of Diyala.
- Department of the Army announces upcoming 1st BCT, 101st Airborne Division unit rotation Army News 18 Oct 2018 -- The Department of the Army announced today the winter 2018 rotation to Iraq of the 1st Brigade Combat Team (BCT), 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
- Department of the Army announces upcoming 3rd BCT, 4th Infantry Division unit rotation Army News 18 Oct 2018 -- The Department of the Army announced today the spring 2019 rotation to Kuwait of the 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado.
- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Press Briefing by Col. Ryan via Video conference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 17 Oct 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Sean J. Ryan, spokesman, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Sean Robertson, Pentagon spokesman
- US Says Committed to Syria, Iraq Beyond Anti-IS Efforts VOA 17 Oct 2018 -- U.S. officials said Tuesday they will keep working to stabilize areas they helped liberate from Islamic State in Syria and Iraq.
- Treasury Targets Iraq-based Money Services Business Supporting ISIS US Treasury 17 Oct 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) imposed sanctions today on Afaq Dubai, an Iraq-based money services business (MSB) that has been moving money for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Today's designation follows action taken by the Department of Defense–announced on October 11–against a key ISIS financial facilitation group.
- U.S. Assistance to Ethnic and Religious Minorities in Iraq US Dept. of State 16 Oct 2018 -- As part of the continued commitment by Vice President Pence, Secretary Pompeo, and USAID Administrator Green to support ethnic and religious minorities in Iraq as highlighted earlier this year at the first-ever Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom, the United States is proud to announce over $178 million in U.S. foreign assistance to support these vulnerable communities in Iraq. This brings total U.S. assistance for this population to nearly $300 million since Fiscal Year 2017, implemented by both the State Department and USAID.
- Iraqi court cancels Abadi's order on ex-Hashd al-Sha'abi head Press TV 15 Oct 2018 -- An Iraqi court has overridden an earlier decision by outgoing Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi to dismiss the former head of the pro-government Popular Mobilization Units, and declare himself as the replacement.
- Iraqi Army Strengthens Control of Country's Border With Syria - Statement Sputnik 12 Oct 2018 -- The Iraqi army has strengthened control of the country's border with Syria to prevent infiltration attempts by terrorists, the Iraqi security forces said on Thursday.
- US-Led Coalition, Iraqi Forces Arrest Members of Key Daesh Facilitation Group Sputnik 11 Oct 2018 -- The US-led coalition in Iraq and Iraqi Special Forces have arrested 10 members of a suspected network that provided funds to the Daesh* terrorist group, Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve said in a press release on Thursday.
- Iraq sentences Daesh cmdr., suspected plane bomb plotter to death Press TV 11 Oct 2018 -- A court in Iraq has sentenced a Lebanese national to death by hanging over his membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and involvement in criminal acts in the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Turkey agrees to increase water supplies to ease Iraqi shortages Press TV 10 Oct 2018 -- The Iraqi parliament speaker says Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has agreed to increase releases of water from Turkey's Ilisu Dam on the Tigris River to neighboring Iraq, which is suffering from water shortages.
- Centcom Commander Discusses Regional Hotspots AFPS 04 Oct 2018 -- Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Iran are just a few of the hotspots the commander of U.S. Central Command spoke about this morning as he discussed the range of operations in the area during a Pentagon news conference.
- Iraq - Armed Bell 407GX Helicopters DSCA 04 Oct 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Iraq of five (5) Armed Bell 407GX helicopters configured with M240 7.62mm Machine Guns for an estimated cost of $82.5 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on October 3, 2018.
- Iraq officially rejects US claim of Iran role in Basra violence Press TV 04 Oct 2018 -- Iraq's Foreign Ministry has dismissed accusations by the United States that Iran is to blame for recent violence – including through alleged militant groups – in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, where Washington recently closed its consulate.
- Newly-elected Iraqi president tasks Adel Abdul-Mahdi to form next gov't People's Daily 03 Oct 2018 -- The newly-elected Iraqi President Barham Salih on Tuesday named the Shiite independent politician Adel Abdul-Mahdi as prime minister-designate and tasked him with forming the next government, Iraq official television reported.
- New Iraqi Prime Minister Charged With Forming New Government RFE/RL 03 Oct 2018 -- Iraq's new president has moved quickly to install veteran Shi'ite politician Adel Abdul-Mahdi as prime minister, charged with forming a new government nearly five months after national elections were held.
- In Iraq, UN welcomes new President, and Prime Minister-designate, calls for 'truly representative' new cabinet UN News 03 Oct 2018 -- The United Nations Special Representative for Iraq, Ján Kubiš, on Wednesday, welcomed the designation of a new Prime Minister, Adel Abdel-Mahdi, and urged political leaders to promote women's meaningful representation in politics.
- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Press Briefing By Col. Ryan via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 02 Oct 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Sean J. Ryan, spokesman, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Sean Robertson, Pentagon spokesman
- Iraqi FM declares support for Iran against sanctions IRNA 02 Oct 2018 -- Iraqi minister for foreign affairs on Tuesday said that his country will not support the anti-Iranian sanctions.
- Barham Salih elected new president of Iraq Press TV 02 Oct 2018 -- Iraqi lawmakers have elected veteran Kurdish politician Barham Saleh president of the country.
- Terrorists killed, injured 254 Iraqis in Sept IRNA 02 Oct 2018 -- A total of 75 Iraqi civilians were killed and another 179 injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in Iraq in September 2018, according to casualty figures recorded by the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI).
- US military constructing new base in western Iraq near Syria border: Kurdish official Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The US military is reportedly building a new base in Iraq's western province of Anbar as part of attempts to perpetuate its occupation of the conflict-ridden Arab country indefinitely, regardless of all opposition from religious figures and people from all walks of life.
- Main rival of Barzani's KDP to reject Kurdistan's election results Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, one of the main parties in northern Iraq, says it will not recognize the results of Sunday's parliamentary elections in the semi-autonomous region, claiming fraud.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list