Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraqi PM sacks Hashd al-Sha'abi head; group calls it 'illegal' Press TV 31 Aug 2018 -- Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has dismissed his national security adviser Falih Alfayyadh from all his positions over what the premier's office called involvement in political and partisan work.
- Iraqi Prime Minister Sacks National Security Aide - Reports Sputnik 31 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi fired his national security adviser and head of the Shiite militia for lack of impartiality, Falih Alfayyadh, local media said Friday.
- Over 1,000 civilians killed by US-led forces in Iraq and Syria IRNA 31 Aug 2018 -- At least 1,061 civilians have been killed by US-led coalition airstrikes in Iraq and Syria since August 2014 during the fight against Daesh, the coalition reported on Thursday.
- Iran rejects claim it is arming Iraqis to fight US troops IRNA 31 Aug 2018 -- The spokesman for Iran mission to UN Alireza Miryousefi on Thursday described Wall Street Journal's claim that Iran is training and arming Iraqis to fight the Americans as ridiculous, saying that Iran has helped the country purely for the purposes of self-defense against terrorist groups like Daesh.
- Iraq sending team to US to seek Iran bans waivers Press TV 29 Aug 2018 -- Iraq says it plans to send a delegation to the US to discuss an agreement on financial transactions with Iran following Washington's recent move to restore sanctions against Tehran.
- Iraq Seeking Exemptions From Some U.S. Sanctions On Iran RFE/RL 29 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi has said he will send a delegation to Washington to negotiate over Baghdad's requests for exemptions from some of the sanctions the United States is imposing on Iran.
- US Casts Doubt on Islamic State's Staying Power VOA 28 Aug 2018 -- A top U.S. military official is pushing back against the Pentagon's own estimates which suggest the Islamic State terror group has retained significant capabilities in Iraq and Syria, and is "well-positioned" to rebuild its lost caliphate.
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS Targets in Iraq, Syria AFPS 27 Aug 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to pursue the lasting defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in designated parts of Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Senior Daesh militant commander killed in Iraq's Diyala infighting Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- A high-ranking commander of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed when members of two rival foreign-sponsored militant groups operating in Iraq's eastern province of Diyala turned on each other and engaged in a fierce exchange of gunfire.
- Alive Not Dead? Daesh Releases New Recording Allegedly by Leader Al-Baghdadi Sputnik 23 Aug 2018 -- Despite numerous reports of his death or injury, Daesh's* shadowy leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi appears to be more alive than dead, even though his whereabouts are unknown, and he has not been heard from in almost a year.
- Daesh ringleader urges terror attacks in purported audio recording Press TV 23 Aug 2018 -- Daesh ringleader Ibrahim al-Samarrai, aka Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, has called on followers of the Takfiri outfit to keep up their terror attacks after the militant group suffered a crushing defeat in Iraq and Syria and lost all the territories it had seized there.
- Iraqi military aircraft kill more Daesh members in Salahuddin Press TV 23 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi military aircraft have launched a series of aerial attacks against the remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the country's north-central province of Salahuddin, killing a number of extremists in the process.
- Canadian Armed Forces General to be appointed Commander of the new NATO Mission in Iraq Canada DND 22 Aug 2018 -- Canada has always answered the call to serve and contribute to international peace and security. As a founding member of NATO, Canada has demonstrated dedicated and active leadership in the organization and will continue to do so for years to come under our new defence policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged.
- Commander-designate of NATO Mission Iraq announced NATO 22 Aug 2018 -- Canada's Department of National Defence announced on Wednesday (22 August 2018) that Major-General Dany Fortin has been selected to lead the new NATO Mission Iraq. Launched at the Brussels Summit in July, the mission builds on NATO's efforts to train the Iraqi forces as they work to prevent the re-emergence of ISIS and other terrorist groups. Led by Canada, NATO's non-combat mission will include hundreds of trainers, and will also involve setting up military schools to increase the professionalism of the Iraqi forces.
- IS Issues New Message From Group's Reclusive Leader VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- The secretive leader of the Islamic State terror group is speaking out after nearly a year of silence, urging his supporters to persevere while warning of "dark days" for his enemies.
- Iraq seeks US waiver as leader decries 'cruel' Iran sanctions Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi officials plan to ask Washington for waivers on Iran sanctions which could hit crucial supplies, with one political leader pledging that Baghdad will never accept the "cruel" measures.
- Operation Roundup Continues to Target ISIS Remnants AFPS 20 Aug 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to pursue the lasting defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in designated parts of Syria and Iraq, task force officials reported today.
- US military helicopter crashes in Iraq; one dead, several injured Press TV 20 Aug 2018 -- A member of the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has lost his life and several others sustained injuries when an American helicopter crashed on a counter-terrorism mission in Iraq.
- Iraqi political parties agree to establish core alliance Press TV 19 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi political parties have agreed on establishing a core alliance in an attempt to form a new government.
- US forces to stay in Iraq 'as long as needed': Coalition Press TV 19 Aug 2018 -- A spokesman for the US-led coalition purportedly fighting Daesh says American forces will stay in Iraq "as long as needed," amid reports that the terrorist organization is making a comeback in Iraq and neighboring Syria.
- Iraqi Supreme Court ratifies parliamentary vote Press TV 19 Aug 2018 -- Iraq's Supreme Court has ratified the outcome of the contested May 12 parliamentary elections in the country, giving the victor, Muqtada al-Sadr and his coalition, a constitutional deadline of 90 days to form a government.
- Iraqi Supreme Court Ratifies Parliamentary Election Results - Reports Sputnik 19 Aug 2018 -- The Federal Supreme Court of Iraq has ratified the results of the country's parliamentary election, which took place on May 12, the Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper reported Sunday, citing a court's representative.
- Turkish Raid Kills Militant Leader in Iraqi Yazidi Town VOA 16 Aug 2018 -- Turkish jets late Wednesday targeted a convoy of militants linked to the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) near the Iraqi Yazidi town of Sinjar, killing a top commander and several of his guards, local sources told VOA.
- Several terrorists killed in Iraqi air raids on Daesh positions in Syria Press TV 16 Aug 2018 -- The Iraqi Air Force has attacked the "operations room" of Daesh in neighboring Syria, killing several militants plotting to carry out a terrorist operation in Iraq in coming days, the Iraqi Interior Ministry has announced.
- Iraq Launches Airstrike on Daesh 'Operations Room' in Syria - Iraqi Army Sputnik 16 Aug 2018 -- The Iraqi military announced Thursday that they had launched airstrikes on Daesh in Syrian territory amid Damascus' efforts to eliminate the last pockets of the terrorist group.
- Islamic State 'Well-Positioned' to Rebuild Caliphate VOA 16 Aug 2018 -- Destroying the Islamic State is proving more difficult than the United States and its allies envisioned, with the most recent intelligence assessments warning that the self-declared caliphate is well-positioned to rise again.
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing By General Gedney and Colonel Ryan Via Teleconference From Baghdad, Iraq DoD 14 Aug 2018 -- Presenter: U.K. Army Maj. Gen. Felix Gedney, Deputy Commander, Strategy and Support, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Army Col. Sean J. Ryan, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman
- UN: Up to 30,000 Islamic State Extremists In Syria, Iraq RFE/RL 14 Aug 2018 -- Despite the military defeat of the Islamic State (IS) in Iraq and most of Syria, the extremist group still has around 20,000 to 30,000 militants in the two countries, according to a United Nations report.
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS Targets in Iraq, Syria AFPS 13 Aug 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to pursue the lasting defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in designated parts of Syria and Iraq, task force officials reported today.
- Iraqi Prime Minister's Iran Visit Canceled After Sanctions Remarks RFE/RL 12 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi's visit to Iran has been canceled after he said he had no choice but to abide by U.S. sanctions against Tehran, even though he disagreed with their imposition.
- Iraq elections results almost unchanged after manual recount Press TV 10 Aug 2018 -- Almost no change has been made to the results of a recent parliamentary election in Iraq after ballots were manually recounted over fraud allegations, the country's top electoral body has announced.
- Finland to Participate in NATO Training Mission in Iraq Sputnik 10 Aug 2018 -- Finland, which is not a NATO member state, will participate in the alliance's training mission in Iraq, the Finnish government said Friday, adding that it would send a small number of staff officers and trainers.
- Recount Shows Al-Sadr Alliance Winner in Iraqi Poll VOA 10 Aug 2018 -- A recount of votes cast in Iraq's May parliamentary election shows nationalist Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's alliance was the winner, the country's election commission said Friday.
- Al-Maliki: Iraq opposes economic pressure on Iran IRNA 10 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi Vice President Nouri Al-Maliki said on Thursday that his country is opposed to any pressure and economic sanctions imposed by the US against the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Dissent in IS Ranks; Al-Baghdadi Still in Charge? VOA 09 Aug 2018 -- In an extraordinary breach of the Islamic State's culture of unquestioning obedience, an IS writer calling himself Ibn Jubayr has penned a series of five scathing articles leveling direct and unprecedented criticism at the militant group's leadership, according to a respected monitoring group.
- Army forces launch operation to capture Daesh militants in eastern Iraq IRNA 09 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi government forces have mounted an offensive in eastern part of the war-ravaged Arab country to hunt down the remnants of the Daesh terrorist group on Thursday.
- Iraqi troops kill 14 Daesh terrorists, destroy 4 armored vehicles in Anbar Press TV 09 Aug 2018 -- More than a dozen members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed after Iraqi security forces launched a counter-terrorism operation in the country's troubled western province of Anbar as government troops are trying to flush the last remnants of the extremist outfit out of the crisis-hit Arab country.
- Iraqi Leader Says Disagrees With U.S. Sanctions On Iran, But Will Honor Them RFE/RL 08 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi said on August 7 that he does not agree with U.S. sanctions reimposed this week on Iran, but will abide by them to protect his country's interests.
- Amid 'volatile' environment, UN mission chief urges Iraqi leaders to 'listen to the voice of the people' UN News 08 Aug 2018 -- Despite a myriad of "long-neglected social, economic and development needs", the Head of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) on Wednesday said progress had been made towards recovery and stability in the battle-scarred country, and called for Iraqi political leaders to continue to "work for national reconciliation" through "inclusive" solutions.
- Iraqi PM: We Won't Interact With Anti-Iran Sanctions, Will Protect Our Interests Sputnik 07 Aug 2018 -- On Monday night, the US introduced the first wave of sanctions targeting Iran's acquisition of dollar bank notes, trade in gold and other metals, transactions related to the Iranian rial, and purchases of commercial passenger aircraft entered into force.
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Aug 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between July 30 and Aug. 5, conducting 20 strikes consisting of 27 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Airmen support Q-West airfield alongside Iraqis AFNS 06 Aug 2018 -- The average day for air traffic controllers involves a lot of moving parts and Airmen working constantly to ensure safe and secure air flow. For Qayyarah Airfield West, Iraq, this rests solely on the shoulders of just a few people.
- Jordan, Iraq ink security deal but still face rocky road Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Jordan and Iraq have signed a military and security cooperation agreement after years of stormy ties which saw Daesh terrorists gain control of their joint border and cut vital trade to a bare minimum.
- Recount of May vote in Iraq credible, transparent: UN Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- The United Nations has commended the "credible and transparent" manual recount of votes from Iraq's parliamentary elections held in May, calling for further steps towards the formation of a government in the country.
- Iraq concludes manual recount of May parliamentary elections Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- Iraq's election commission has concluded the manual recount of votes from the country's parliamentary elections held in May, wrapping up a process following accusations of electoral fraud.
- Iraq's south witnesses new protests against corruption, power cuts Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- Less than a month after a surge of unrest in Iraq over poor public services, particularly power cuts and rampant corruption, residents in southern areas of the Arab country have once again staged protests.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list