Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Turkish jets kill 4 PKK militants in northern Iraq: Military Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Turkey's military says it has conducted airstrikes against the positions of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in northern Iraq, killing at least four members of the "terrorist" outfit.
- Iraq to begin manual recount of votes on Tuesday Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Iraqi authorities have announced that they will begin the manual recount of ballots in recent general elections on July 3.
- Iraqi, U.S. Guns Bring 'Steel Rain' to ISIS AFPS 29 Jun 2018 -- In northwestern Iraq along the Syrian border, the desert echoes with the sound of artillery.
- SDF, Iraqis Defend Syrian Border Town from IS VOA 29 Jun 2018 -- The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) are working closely with the Iraqi army to prevent Islamic State (IS) militants from returning to a key Syrian town on the border with Iraq, an SDF commander told VOA.
- US-Led Coalition Admits Killing About 940 Civilians in Operations in Syria, Iraq Sputnik 28 Jun 2018 -- Strikes carried out by the US-led coalition fighting against the Daesh* terrorist group in Iraq and Syria have claimed the lives of more than 930 civilians since August 2014, Operation Inherent Resolve's Combined Joint Task Force said in a report on Thursday.
- Iraqi lawmakers will not support parliament term extension beyond Saturday: Sunni lawmaker Press TV 28 Jun 2018 -- A senior member of the Iraqi parliament says lawmakers will not support an extension of the term of the legislature until after a recount of votes from a recent parliamentary election is complete.
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS Targets in Syria, Iraq AFPS 26 Jun 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners have accelerated offensive activity against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq throughout May and June, officials reported today.
- IS Terror Group Surges in Iraq's Disputed Territories VOA 26 Jun 2018 -- The disputed territories between the Iraqi central government and autonomous Kurdistan region in the northeast of the country have recently witnessed a rise in Islamic State attacks, foreshadowing long-term security threats and forcing people from dozens of villages to flee their homes.
- Iraq makes arrests in kidnapping of security men by Daesh terror group Press TV 25 Jun 2018 -- Iraq's security police say they have placed a number of suspects under arrest related to the abduction and holding hostage of several of their personnel by remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- Iraq says it killed 45 Daesh terrorists in Syria strike IRNA 24 Jun 2018 -- Iraq said Saturday it had killed 45 jihadists from the ISIS group, including senior members, in an air strike in eastern Syria, the second such operation in less than a month.
- Iraqi airstrike kills 45 Daesh terrorists in eastern Syria Press TV 23 Jun 2018 -- The Iraqi military has conducted an airstrike against the Daesh Takfiri group in Syria's eastern Dayr al-Zawr province, killing 45 terrorists.
- Iraqi Military Airstrikes Kill 45 Daesh Militants Sputnik 23 Jun 2018 -- Iraq has been carrying out strikes against Daesh in Syria since receiving intelligence involving security threats.
- Iraqi PM Abadi, cleric Sadr announce alliance of their political parties Press TV 23 Jun 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi and cleric Moqtada al-Sadr have announced an alliance between the political parties.
- Iraqi PM Abadi and Anti-American Shiite Cleric Sadr Announce Alliance Sputnik 23 Jun 2018 -- The Sairun Alliance, backed by the prominent Shiite cleric Muqtada Sadr, won 54 parliamentary mandates during the first Iraqi parliamentary election since Daesh* defeat.
- Top Iraqi court endorses manual election recount Press TV 21 Jun 2018 -- Iraq's top court has upheld a law mandating a nationwide manual recount of all ballots from last month's parliamentary elections.
- Iraqi Police Clash With Pro-Iran Militia Fighters In Baghdad RFE/RL 20 Jun 2018 -- Iraqi police have clashed with pro-Iranian militia fighters near the headquarters of the powerful Hizbullah Brigades in Baghdad, Iraq's Interior Ministry says.
- Coalition, Partners Continue Progress Against ISIS in Iraq, Syria AFPS 19 Jun 2018 -- The coalition and its partners in Syria and Iraq are continuing to make progress in defeating the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve said today.
- US airstrike kills 22 Iraq's Hashd al-Sha'abi fighters near Syria border: Statement Press TV 18 Jun 2018 -- Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, say a US airstrike on the Iraqi border with war-torn Syria has claimed the lives of nearly two dozen of its fighters and wounded a dozen others.
- Turkish fighter jets 'neutralize' 35 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq Press TV 17 Jun 2018 -- Turkish military aircraft have "neutralized" nearly three dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they carried out a string of airstrikes against terrorist hideouts in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Turkish jets target high level PKK meeting in Iraq's Qandil Press TV 17 Jun 2018 -- Turkish fighter jets have targeted a Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) meeting in Iraq's Qandil mountains, says Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Real Reason Iraq's 35th Mechanized Brigade Swapped Abrams Tanks for T-90s Sputnik 17 Jun 2018 -- The 35th Brigade of the Iraqi Army's 9th Armored Division has replaced its M1A1M Abrams main battle tanks with Russian T-90s. The US media have claimed that the decision was the result of Pentagon concerns about the Abrams falling into the hands of Iranian-backed militias. However, Russian observers say the T-90 is simply a better tank for Iraq.
- Iraqi Hashd al-Sha'abi fighters inflict losses on Daesh in eastern Syria Press TV 13 Jun 2018 -- Fighters from the Iraqi pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) have pounded the positions of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr as the militants are seeking to sneak through the border into Iraq.
- Iran warns Iraq's Kurdistan after border terror attempts Press TV 13 Jun 2018 -- Tehran has officially protested to the Iraqi Kurdistan's authorities following a number of unsuccessful attempts by terror groups based in the semi-autonomous region to break into neighboring Iran.
- Turkish jets 'destroy 12 PKK targets' in Iraq Press TV 12 Jun 2018 -- Turkish fighter jets have destroyed 12 targets belonging to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in northern Iraq, the Turkish military says, as the army steps up a campaign against militant positions in the Qandil region.
- Iraq's Sairoon, Fatah political parties announce alliance Press TV 12 Jun 2018 -- Iraqi cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and head of the country's Badr Organization Hadi al-Amiri have announced a political alliance between their parties.
- Iraqi Air Force receives six more KAI T-50 Golden Eagle warplanes Press TV 12 Jun 2018 -- The Iraqi military has received a new batch of South Korean KAI T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic advanced trainers and light combat aircraft under a deal struck between Baghdad and Seoul several years ago.
- Operation Roundup Targets ISIS Remnants in Iraq, Syria AFPS 11 Jun 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners have increased offensive activity against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Iraq and Syria throughout the month of May.
- Iraqi cleric Sadr rejects election rerun, warns of civil war after ballots burned Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- Iraqi cleric, Muqtada al-Sadr, whose coalition won the largest number of seats in the country's recent parliamentary elections, has rejected calls for an election rerun, warning Iraqis about breaking out of a possible "civil war" just a day after a storage site in Baghdad, which housed ballot boxes, was purportedly torched ahead of a recount.
- Turkish Military Already in Iraq, Ready to Advance on Kurdish Base - PM Sputnik 10 Jun 2018 -- According to Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, Turkish forces are currently based dozens of kilometers inside northern Iraq and could push further to attack the Kurds in the Qandil Mountains. This is where the stronghold of the PKK (Kurdistan Workers' Party), designated as a terrorist organization in Turkey, is reportedly located.
- Fire Hits Ballot-Box Storage Site In Baghdad RFE/RL 10 Jun 2018 -- Iraq's biggest ballot-paper warehouse that was being used to store votes ahead of a recount has caught fire.
- Ballots From Iraqi Election on Fire in Baghdad Amid Recount Campaign - Reports Sputnik 10 Jun 2018 -- A fire broke out on Sunday at a warehouse in Baghdad, where ballots from the recent Iraqi parliamentary elections are stored, amid a nationwide campaign to recount the results of the vote, local Al Sumaria TV channel reported citing municipal authorities of the Iraqi capital.
- Iraqi Warehouse Storing Election Ballots Burns VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- A Baghdad warehouse storing ballot boxes from Iraq's parliamentary election caught fire Sunday, bolstering calls for a revote.
- Turkish army stationed 30km inside Iraq: PM Yildirim Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says the country's troops have been "deployed 30 kilometers inside" Iraq and in its northern regions in a declared goal of eliminating militants of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
- Abadi faces key decision to align with Iraq liberators Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- Leading Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's announcement of a coalition has left remaining parties with the choice of closing ranks which could reinstate Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi for another term.
- Defeat-ISIS/Da'esh Defense Ministerial Joint Statement DoD 08 Jun 2018 -- The text of the following statement is a joint release of defense ministers of Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States and the Secretary General of NATO. They were joined by senior representatives from Albania, New Zealand, Poland, Saudi Arabia and Singapore.
- Turkey Reportedly Plans to Establish Joint 'Safe Zone' in Syria, Iraq Sputnik 08 Jun 2018 -- According to the Turkish newspaper Yeni Safak, taking the city of Manbij in northern Aleppo Governorate will be the first step in creating this security zone, which will extend through Idlib, al-Bab and A'zaz in the north-west of Syria, before later being extended through currently Kurdish held territory east of the Euphrates and in northern Iraq.
- Iraqi fighter jets target Daesh positions in Syria Press TV 07 Jun 2018 -- Iraq says it has launched an airstrike against Daesh positions inside the Syrian territory as both neighboring countries step up efforts to get rid of the Takfiri terror group's remnants.
- Iraqi Air Force Strikes Daesh Command Center in Eastern Syria Sputnik 07 Jun 2018 -- The Iraqi Air Force destroyed a command center of Daesh* terrorist group in the eastern Syrian province of Deir ez-Zor on Thursday, the Iraqi military command said.
- Iraq receives dozens of more T-90 battle tanks from Russia to boost ground force Press TV 07 Jun 2018 -- The Iraqi military has received dozens of more advanced T-90 battle tanks from Russia under a major deal struck between Moscow and Baghdad last year.
- Iraq lawmakers order manual recount for parliament election votes Press TV 06 Jun 2018 -- The Iraqi parliament has voted in favor of a manual recount of votes in the country's May 12 parliamentary elections.
- Iraqi Parliament Votes for Manual Recount of All Votes in May Election - Reports Sputnik 06 Jun 2018 -- The Iraqi parliament voted on Wednesday in favor of a manual recount of all votes cast in the May 12 parliamentary vote amid numerous reported irregularities registered during the election, Rudaw reported.
- Iraqi Militia Launches Operation to Clear Remaining Daesh Pockets in Kirkuk Sputnik 06 Jun 2018 -- The Iraqi militia said on its website on Wednesday it had launched a large-scale operation to clear the remaining cells of the Daesh* terrorist group in the northern province of Kirkuk.
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing by Colonel Veale via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 05 Jun 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Thomas Veale, Director, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Public Affairs; Major Adrian Rankine-Galloway, Pentagon Spokesman
- Turkey Threatens Strike on Kurds in Iraq VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- Turkey is warning it will launch a decisive strike on the longtime Kurdish separatist group PKK at the group's base in northern Iraq. The top Turkish diplomat said Ankara would draw on cooperation from the U.S. and others do so.
- 15 PKK militants killed in airstrikes in Turkey, northern Iraq: Military Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- The Turkish military says the country's warplanes have "neutralized" at least 15 members of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group in northern Iraq and eastern Turkey.
- Daesh remnants storm house, shoot dead 12 in northern Iraq Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- At least 12 civilians, all members of the same family, have been killed when the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group stormed a house in Iraq's northern province of Salahuddin.
- Operation Roundup Hits ISIS Remnants in Iraq, Syria AFPS 01 Jun 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners increased offensive activity against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Iraq and Syria throughout May.
- UN: 95 Iraqis killed,163 injured in May IRNA 01 Jun 2018 -- According to the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq, around 95 Iraqi were killed and 163 more injured by terrorists in May 2018.
- Iraq's Hakim rejects claims he talked to US in Kuwait trip Press TV 01 Jun 2018 -- Senior Iraqi cleric Ammar Hakim has dismissed media reports that he held talks with a US envoy during a recent trip to Kuwait, saying the claims are purely meant to sabotage efforts to form a united coalition government.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list