Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command Deactivation Ceremony CJTF-OIR 30 Apr 2018 -- The Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command (CJFLCC) Headquarters was deactivated today at a ceremony in Baghdad, signifying the end of major combat operations against ISIS in Iraq and acknowledging the changing composition and responsibilities of the Coalition.
- US-Led Coalition Signals End of Major Anti-Daesh Ops in Iraq Sputnik 30 Apr 2018 -- US-led coalition forces have closed the Baghdad headquarters of the Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command Headquarters, signaling the end of major combat operations against Daesh terrorist group, Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR) said in a press release on Monday.
- With Islamic State Defeated, US Shuts Iraqi Command Center VOA 30 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. on Monday shut its Iraqi military headquarters controlling American ground operations against Islamic State, signifying the end of major combat operations against the insurgents.
- Iraq to continue pounding Daesh positions inside Syria Press TV 30 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has pledged to continue airstrikes on the positions and headquarters of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group inside neighboring Syria, stressing that Baghdad will not meddle in the political affairs of the Damascus government.
- Iraq court gives life to 19 Russian women over Daesh membership Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- A court in Iraq has handed down life sentences to nearly two dozen Russian women over illegal entry, membership in Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, and involvement in acts of terror across the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Iraq Sentences 19 Russian Women for Joining IS VOA 29 Apr 2018 -- A court in Iraq has sentenced 19 Russian women to life in prison for joining the Islamic State terrorist group.
- Military Strikes Hit ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 27 Apr 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between April 20-26, conducting 26 strikes consisting of 34 engagements, officials reported today.
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing By Colonel Dillon Via Teleconference From Baghdad, Iraq DoD 24 Apr 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Ryan Dillon, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Spokesman; Eric J. Pahon, Defense Department Spokesman
- US to Build World's Largest Consulate Facility in Iraqi Kurdistan - Reports Sputnik 23 Apr 2018 -- US Ambassador to Iraq Douglas Silliman and Kurdish Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani led the groundbreaking ceremony for the world's largest US consulate in Erbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan, local media reported Monday.
- Islamic State Declares War on Iraq's General Elections VOA 20 Apr 2018 -- As Iraq approaches an important election to choose a new parliament and government, the Islamic State terror group has vowed to carry out attacks against candidates running for office.
- Military Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 20 Apr 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between April 13-19, conducting 30 strikes consisting of 47 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Iraqi Jets Strike IS Positions in Syria for First Time VOA 20 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi warplanes pounded Islamic State positions in eastern Syria with deadly airstrikes Thursday, the Iraqi government said.
- Iraqi air forces hit Daesh positions in Syria in coordination with Damascus Press TV 19 Apr 2018 -- The Iraqi air force says has launched deadly strikes against Daesh positions in Syria as both neighboring countries step up efforts to get rid of the Takfiri terror group's remnants.
- Iraq Air Force Conducts Anti-Daesh Strikes in Syria Sputnik 19 Apr 2018 -- Daesh troops invaded Iraq in 2014 and seized control of its second largest city, Mosul. Iraq officially declared victory over Daesh* on December 9, 2017, after the last of its fighters were driven from the country and control over the border with Syria was restored.
- Iraqi Air Force Conducts Strike Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria AFPS 19 Apr 2018 -- The Iraqi air force conducted an airstrike near Hajin, Syria, against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terrorists operating near the Iraq-Syria border today, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials said.
- Iran vows to keep up anti-terror cooperation with Iraq Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the Islamic Republic will keep up its counter-terrorism cooperation with Iraq until the annihilation of terrorism.
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing by Colonel Dillon via Teleconference From Baghdad, Iraq DoD 17 Apr 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Ryan Dillon, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Spokesman
- Iraqi court sentences three Azerbaijani women, Kyrgyz citizen to death over Daesh membership Press TV 17 Apr 2018 -- A court in Iraq has sentenced three Azerbaijani women and a female Kyrgyz citizen to death over membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and involvement in acts of terror across the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Iraqi security forces kill 22 Daesh remnants in Nineveh offensive Press TV 16 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi security forces have killed nearly two dozen members of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group during a clean-up operation in the country's northern province of Nineveh as government troops and allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Units are engaged in offensives to purge the entire war-ravaged country of the extremists.
- Any military escalation in Syria terrible for Middle East security, stability: Iraq FM Press TV 15 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari has warned of the huge dangers of a military escalation in Syria, stating that any further act of aggression against the conflict-plagued Arab country will undermine security and stability in the Middle East region.
- Top PKK terrorist killed in Turkish airstrikes in northern Iraq Press TV 15 Apr 2018 -- The Turkish military says a high-profile member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group has been killed in a series of airstrikes carried out in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region late last month.
- Campaigning begins for Iraq parliamentary elections Press TV 14 Apr 2018 -- Iraq has officially allowed campaigning to begin for the upcoming parliamentary elections on May 12.
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 13 Apr 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq, conducting 15 strikes consisting of 41 engagements April 6-12, task force officials reported today.
- 24 Iraqis killed, injured in graveyard blast north of Salahuddin IRNA 13 Apr 2018 -- Over twenty four Iraqi people were killed and injured in a bomb blast north of Salahuddin, an official said on Thursday.
- Missile strikes against Syria terrible, dangerous for all world countries: Iraq FM Press TV 13 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari has warned against any missile strikes against Syria, stressing that the repercussions of such a military aggression against the conflict-plagued Arab country would be "disastrous" for the entire world.
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's aide killed in Kirkuk IRNA 09 Apr 2018 -- The main assistance of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Daesh ringleader, Abu Valid al-Shishani was killed near Kirkuk, Iraq.
- Readout of President Donald J. Trump's Call with Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi of Iraq The White House 08 Apr 2018
- No decision to host permanent US military bases: Iraqi president Press TV 07 Apr 2018 -- President Fuad Masum says no decision has been made for Iraq to host permanent American military bases, stressing that Baghdad will not allow for the country to turn into a launch pad for any military aggression against neighboring Iran.
- Iraqi Official: PKK Has Actually Left City of Sinjar Sputnik 04 Apr 2018 -- The head of district state administration of the Iraqi city of Sinjar, Mehma Xelil, told Sputnik that members of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) officially left the territory of Sinjar, near Iraq's northern border, April 1.
- Centcom Commander Discusses Stabilization Posture in Iraq, Syria AFPS 03 Apr 2018 -- Administration officials, military leaders, senior Iraqi representatives and regional experts discussed views on Iraq and Syria at the U.S. Institute of Peace here today.
- About 160 bodies exhumed at Daesh massacre site in northern Iraq Press TV 03 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi forensic specialists have found a mass grave containing the remains of about 160 victims of a June 2014 massacre by Daesh Takfiri terrorists at an air force camp in the country's north-central province of Salahuddin.
- Iraq Seeks Support From US-Led Coalition to Continue Fight Against Daesh - Envoy Sputnik 03 Apr 2018 -- Iraq's Ambassador to the United States Fareed Yasseen said on Tuesday that his country still needs the support of the US-led coalition to continue the next phase of the fight against the Daesh terror group.
- Iraq May Launch Cross-Border Operation to Fight Terrorists in Syria - PM Abadi Sputnik 02 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi military forces have plans to launch a cross-border operation to fight against terrorists on the territory of Syria, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi said Sunday.
- Daesh 'vampire' killed in western Iraq IRNA 01 Apr 2018 -- One of the ringleaders of the Daesh terrorist group (ISIS) nicknamed 'vampire' was killed in an operation in Al Anbar, western Iraq.
- 'Daesh butcher,' 9 aides killed in counter-terrorism operation in Iraq's Anbar Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi security forces have launched a counter-terrorism in the desert region of the western province of Anbar, and killed a high-ranking member of Daesh Takfiri militant group as government troops and allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Unions are purging the country of the last remnants of the terror outfit.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list