Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraq starts deploying forces in Sinjar after Turkey's threats against PKK Press TV 31 Mar 2018 -- Iraq has started deploying forces in the country's northwestern Sinjar region after Turkey threatened to enter the area to attack Kurdish militants.
- Strikes Continue Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 30 Mar 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between March 23-29, conducting 11 strikes consisting of 12 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Army and Air Force work together to strengthen coalition forces in Iraq Army News 28 Mar 2018 -- Rockets sliced through the air as AH-64E Apache Guardian pilots assigned to the 7th Battalion, 17th Cavalry Regiment, 449th Combat Aviation Brigade destroyed the fictional enemy during the Iraq Forward Air Control Course live-fire training exercise March 8, 2018 in Besmaya, Iraq.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Brigadier General Croft via teleconference DoD 27 Mar 2018 -- Presenter: Brigadier General Andrew A. Croft, deputy commander, Air, Combined Joint Forces Land Component Commander-Operation Inherent Resolve; Eric J. Pahon, Defense Department Spokesman
- General Highlights Airpower in Fight Against ISIS AFPS 27 Mar 2018 -- Airpower has been a key factor as Operation Inherent Resolve continues to achieve milestones in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, a senior OIR officer told Pentagon reporters via satellite from Baghdad today.
- Turkish warplanes 'neutralize' 38 PKK members in northern Iraq: Report Press TV 21 Mar 2018 -- Turkish warplanes have "neutralized" 38 militants of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in northern Iraq, who were preparing to attack Ankara's forces, security sources say.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Colonel Folsom via teleconference from Al Asad Airbase in Iraq DoD 20 Mar 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Seth W.B. Folsom, commander, Task Force Lion, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Major Adrian Rankine-Galloway, Pentagon Spokesman
- Task Force Lion Continues Partnership with Iraqi Forces Against ISIS AFPS 20 Mar 2018 -- A U.S.-led coalition task force named Task Force Lion, part of Operation Inherent Resolve, is continuing its efforts to support the Iraqi government in its fight against the remnant forces of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the task force's commander told reporters at the Pentagon today via satellite from Iraq.
- Iraq Ready to Cooperate With Turkey on Securing Common Borders Sputnik 20 Mar 2018 -- The Iraqi government has expressed its readiness to cooperate with Turkey on ensuring security of the countries' shared borders, the Iraqi Justice Ministry said Tuesday in a press release received by Sputnik.
- Iraqi army forces arrest two senior Daesh terrorists near Mosul Press TV 19 Mar 2018 -- Iraqi army troops have arrested two high-profile members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group near the country's strategic northern city of Mosul as government forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, continue to hunt for the remnants of the terror network.
- MoU on Iran-Iraq intelligence cooperation approved IRNA 19 Mar 2018 -- Iraq's National Security Council in its Sunday's session discussed and approved a memorandum of understanding (MOU) signed by Tehran and Baghdad on intelligence cooperation between the two countries.
- Iraqi forces capture senior Daesh leader near Mosul Press TV 18 Mar 2018 -- Iraqi forces have captured a fugitive Daesh ringleader, who used to hold a "prominent" post within the Takfiri terror group.
- U.S. Aircraft Crashes in Western Iraq AFPS 16 Mar 2018 -- Yesterday at about 6:45 p.m. GMT, a U.S. HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter crashed in western Iraq. The crash does not appear to be a result of enemy activity. This incident is under investigation.
- Officials Report Details of Latest Defeat-ISIS Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 16 Mar 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between March 9-15, conducting 23 strikes consisting of 37 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Iraq's PM security detail commander killed in armed clash in Salahuddin province Press TV 14 Mar 2018 -- Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi security detail commander has been killed in firefight in the country's northern Salahuddin province.
- US Intelligence Official: Gains Against IS in Iraq, Syria Fragile VOA 13 Mar 2018 -- The U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State has been able to decimate the terror group's self-proclaimed caliphate in Iraq and Syria but these gains could be easily undercut by continued instability, a U.S. intelligence official warned Tuesday.
- Defeat of ISIS 'Within Our Grasp,' Centcom Commander Says AFPS 13 Mar 2018 -- The United States and its partners have made significant progress in Iraq and Syria, but investments are needed to ensure the gains endure, the commander of U.S. Central Command said today.
- UN urges new, 'post-ISIL' Iraq to draw on diversity, support religious minorities UN News 13 Mar 2018 -- As Iraq rebuilds after defeating a terrorist group, the country must draw on its religious diversity and protect minorities, including Yezidi and Christians, a senior United Nations official has said.
- Daesh militants kill over two dozen civilians, Hashd al-Sha'abi fighters in Iraq Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- Remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have shot and killed more than two dozen civilians and pro-government fighters in two separate attacks amid ongoing counter-terrorism operations to purge the extremists from all parts of the war-battered Arab country.
- Turkish jets bomb northern Iraq, hit 'PKK targets' Press TV 11 Mar 2018 -- Turkey says its warplanes have destroyed at least 18 targets reportedly belonging to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in northern Iraq.
- Turkish Warplanes Conduct Raids in Northern Iraq, Destroy 18 Kurdish Targets Sputnik 11 Mar 2018 -- In conjunction with allied Syrian militants, the Turkish military launched operation Olive Branch in January 2018 to oust Kurdish-led forces, which allegedly have ties to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), from parts of northern Syria near the border with Turkey.
- Iraqi security forces start offensive to purge areas near Kirkuk of Daesh terrorists Press TV 11 Mar 2018 -- Iraqi security forces, supported by pro-government fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, have started an operation to clear remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group from villages near the country's oil-rich northern city of Kirkuk.
- Iran to Open $3Bln Credit Line to Iraq for Post-War Reconstruction Sputnik 11 Mar 2018 -- Tehran will loan $3 billion to help Baghdad with the restoration of its infrastructure after the defeat of the Daesh terrorist group in the country, Iranian First Vice-President Eshaq Jahangiri said on Sunday.
- Hashd al-Sha'abi inclusion in Iraq's security service helpful, says Abadi Press TV 10 Mar 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has defended his decree to formally incorporate pro-government fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) into the Arab country's security service, stressing that such a move would help establish security and stability.
- Coalition live-fire exercise enhances Iraqi combat capabilities AFNS 09 Mar 2018 -- The first coalition live-fire exercise for the Iraqi Forward Air Controller course took place at Besmaya Range, Iraq, March 4-8, 2018.
- Hashd al-Sha'abi formally inducted into Iraq security system Press TV 09 Mar 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has issued a decree, ordering the formal inclusion of pro-government fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) in the Arab country's security forces.
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Mar 2018 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria between March 2 and March 8, conducting 20 strikes consisting of 30 engagements in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Turkey, Iraq to carry out joint military ops against PKK in N Iraq: Turkish FM Press TV 08 Mar 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Ankara and Baghdad will carry out a joint military operation against members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in the northern parts of the Arab country.
- Iran prepared to open $3bn LOC for Iraq reconstruction projects: Jahangiri Press TV 08 Mar 2018 -- Iran says it is ready to provide Iraq with a line of credit (LOC) worth up to three billion dollars to pave the way for the Iranian private sector's active participation in the reconstruction of the neighboring country.
- Germany to Extend Training of Kurdish Peshmerga Forces - Defense Ministry Sputnik 07 Mar 2018 -- The German Defense Ministry will continue training Kurdish Peshmerga forces in Iraq, the ministry's spokesperson Frank Faehnrich said on Wednesday.
- Defence Secretary reaffirms commitment to Daesh's total defeat in meeting with Iraqi counterpart UK MOD 06 Mar 2018 -- RAF jets continue to strike Daesh in Iraq and Syria
- NATO Secretary General visits Iraq, praises Allied trainers and Iraqi forces NATO 06 Mar 2018 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg began an official visit to Iraq on Monday (5 March 2018), paying a visit to NATO's training facilities in Besmaya.
- NATO staying in Iraq at Baghdad request: Alliance chief Press TV 06 Mar 2018 -- The NATO chief said the Western military alliance will stay in Iraq at its government's request "as long as necessary" just days after the Arab country's lawmakers called for the withdrawal of foreign troops following the defeat of Daesh terrorists.
- Iraqi Parliament Adopts Year's Budget Amid Protests of Kurds Sputnik 04 Mar 2018 -- The Iraqi parliament adopted amendments to the country's budget for 2018 despite protests of the Kurdish lawmakers, member of the Iraqi parliament's finance committee Masud Haidar said.
- Over two dozen Daesh members killed, arrested in army operation west of Mosul Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Iraqi media reports say more than two dozen Daesh terrorists have been killed and arrested in an army operation west of Mosul, which was once the Takfiri terror group's main stronghold in the Arab country.
- Iraq 'will never allow US bases on its soil' Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Iraq says it will under no circumstances permit the United States to build permanent military bases on its soil, which would be a violation of its sovereignty.
- Officials Report Details of Latest Strikes Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Mar 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between Feb. 23-March 1, conducting 23 strikes consisting of 35 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Iraqi lawmakers call on Baghdad to set timetable for withdrawal of foreign troops Press TV 01 Mar 2018 -- The Iraqi parliament has demanded that the central government in Baghdad set a timeline for the withdrawal of foreign troops, led by those of the US, from the Arab country after their purported fight against the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group practically came to an end following the demise of the terror outfit two months ago.
- Moscow assists Baghdad in ensuring security: FM Jaafari Press TV 01 Mar 2018 -- The Iraqi foreign minister says Baghdad is receiving assistance from Russia in ensuring security in the Arab country, ravaged by the war against the Daesh terror group, and that the two sides "exchange information" on a regular basis.
- Iraqi MPs Demand Gov't to Make Plan for Foreign Troops Withdrawal – Source Sputnik 01 Mar 2018 -- The Iraqi parliament on Thursday demanded the government to develop a schedule for the withdrawal of foreign troops from the country, a source in the parliament told Sputnik.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list