Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2018 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraq Negotiating Purchase of S-400 Systems, Sanctions Hinder Efforts - FM Sputnik 28 Feb 2018 -- Iraq is negotiating the purchase of S-400 air defense missile systems from Russia, possible US sanctions are an obstacle to that, Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Jaafari told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Baghdad needs Russian S-400 systems as Western military strategy has failed: Iraqi official Press TV 27 Feb 2018 -- A senior Iraqi official says his country needs to purchase the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile defense systems and diversify its arms imports as the so-called "Western military strategy" has been a failure in the war-stricken Arab country.
- Iraqis Continue Security, Clearance Operations In Territory Once Held by ISIS AFPS 26 Feb 2018 -- With U.S.-led coalition forces in a supporting role, Iraqi security forces continue security and clearance operations in the campaign to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the director of Pentagon Press Operations, Army Col. Robert Manning told reporters today.
- Iraq sentences 16 Turkish women to death over Daesh membership Press TV 25 Feb 2018 -- A court in Iraq has sentenced more than a dozen Turkish women to death over membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and involvement in acts of terror across the conflict-ridden Arab country.
- 3.3 million displaced Iraqis returned to areas of origin by January: IOM Press TV 24 Feb 2018 -- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) says around 3.3 million Iraqi Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) had returned to their areas of origin by the end of January, some two months after the Iraqi government declared the end of military operations against the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group following the total defeat of the outfit in the Arab country.
- Military Strikes Hit ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 23 Feb 2018 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria between Feb. 16 and yesterday, conducting 41 strikes consisting of 76 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Daesh stashed millions of dollars during reign of terror in region: Economist Press TV 23 Feb 2018 -- A report says Daesh rose to become the "richest terrorist group in history" by stashing millions of dollars across the region before losing its territorial rule in Iraq and Syria late last year.
- US warns Iraq of 'consequences' if it buys Russian S-400 missile systems Press TV 23 Feb 2018 -- The United States has warned Iraq, among a number of other countries, of the consequences of extending military cooperation with Russia, and striking deals to purchase advanced weaponry, particularly the S-400 surface-to-air missile defense systems.
- Daesh terrorists kill 20 truck drivers on border with Iraq Press TV 21 Feb 2018 -- Members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have reportedly executed nearly two dozen truck drivers on the border with Iraq's western province of Anbar as Syrian government forces, supported by allied fighters from popular defense groups, are fighting to drive foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants out of the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Hashd al-Sha'abi calls for withdrawal of US troops from Iraqi territory Press TV 20 Feb 2018 -- A senior commander of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) has said now that Daesh has been defeated in the country there is no need for the presence of US troops.
- Turkey-Syria Team-Work is Most Welcome in Afrin Crisis - Iraq Kurdistan Official Sputnik 20 Feb 2018 -- The ongoing crisis in Syria's Afrin, the subject of the Turkish military operation Olive Branch, cannot be resolved without an understanding between Turkey and Syria, Hemin Hawrami, a member of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) Leadership Council, told Sputnik.
- NATO not allowed using Iraq soil against Iran: Iraqi PM IRNA 20 Feb 2018 -- The North Atlantic Alliance (NATO) military bloc is not allowed to use Iraqi territory against Iran, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said.
- Targeted support, reconstruction needed as displaced Iraqis return and rebuild their lives, urges UN agency UN News 20 Feb 2018 -- Iraqi civilians, driven from their homes in fear by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, Da'esh), are now starting to make their way back home after the terrorist group has been uprooted from its bastions in the country, the United Nations International Organization for Migration (IOM) has reported.
- Iraqi court sentences Turkish woman to death over joining Daesh terror group Press TV 19 Feb 2018 -- A court in Iraq has sentenced a female Turkish citizen to death and handed down life terms to ten other foreign women for membership in the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and carrying out acts of terror in the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Presence of foreign forces not acceptable in Iraq: Official Press TV 18 Feb 2018 -- An Iraqi official has expressed his opposition to the presence of foreign forces in Iraq, saying they only aggravate problems in the war-stricken country.
- OIR Officials Report Details of Defeat-ISIS Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 16 Feb 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between Feb. 9-15, conducting 43 strikes consisting of 63 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- NATO defense ministers agree to US demand for larger Iraq deployment Press TV 16 Feb 2018 -- NATO has agreed to deploy a larger military mission to Iraq after the US urged the Western military alliance to look into a long-term stay in the Arab country only after the defeat of the Daesh terror group there.
- Iran to continue respecting Iraq's nat'l sovereignty IRNA 14 Feb 2018 -- Islamic Republic of Iran is committed to respect national sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iraq, Iranian delegation to Iraq reconstruction conference in Kuwait announced.
- Iraq war against Daesh left 18,000 people dead, minister says Press TV 14 Feb 2018 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jafari says the war with the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group has killed 18,000 people since 2014.
- Hashd al-Sha'abi Turkmen cmdr. calls on US 'occupation forces' to leave Iraq Press TV 14 Feb 2018 -- A high-ranking commander of Iraqi pro-government Popular Mobilization Units, commonly known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, has described American military forces in Iraqi as "aggressive and occupying," demanding their withdrawal from the war-ravaged Arab country.
- At donor conference, UN chief launches two-year plan to fast-track Iraq reconstruction UN News 14 Feb 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on Wednesday launched a reconstruction programme for Iraq, urging the global community to support Iraqis as they embark on the journey to rebuild their country and make sure that it is committed to unity and inclusivity.
- Hashd ash-Shaabi: 'We Demand the American Occupation Withdrawal From Iraq' Sputnik 14 Feb 2018 -- Disgruntlement is rising over the presence of the US military in Iraq. The US not only stayed in Iraq after defeating Daesh but is expanding its military presence there, with more than 5,000 of American military men in Iraq and military bases in cities like Baghdad, Dahuk, Mosul, Kirkuk, Sulaymaniyah and Erbil.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 13 Feb 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing by Lieutenant General Harrigian via teleconference from Al Udeid Airbase, Qatar DoD 13 Feb 2018 -- Presenter: Lieutenant General Jeffrey Harrigian, commander, U.S. Air Forces Central Command
- As Emphasis Shifts to Sustaining Military Gains, Progress To Defeat ISIS Continues AFPS 13 Feb 2018 -- Significant progress in the fight to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria has resulted in a shift in focus to sustaining military gains in Iraq to ensure a lasting defeat of Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terrorists, The commander of U.S. Air Forces Central Command told Pentagon reporters today.
- Daesh Still Poses Security Danger in Northern Iraq - Kirkuk Governor Sputnik 13 Feb 2018 -- Daesh militants still pose a security danger in northern Iraq, Rakan Jabouri, the governor of the Iraqi northern province of Kirkuk, told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- Washington not to contribute funds to Iraq's reconstruction: US officials Press TV 12 Feb 2018 -- The United States will be a main absentee from plans to contribute to Iraq's finances, US officials say as Baghdad seeks to rebuild the country following a devastating battle against the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- Iraqi intelligence official claims Daesh ringleader Baghdadi 'alive' in Syria Press TV 12 Feb 2018 -- A top Iraqi official says the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group's leader Ibrahim al-Samarrai, aka Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, is "alive" and is being treated in a field hospital in Syria, less than a year after sources announced the death of the notorious ringleader.
- Some four million Iraqi children in need says UNICEF, ahead of investment conference in Kuwait UN News 12 Feb 2018 -- About a quarter of all Iraqi children are living in poverty, and in the wake of more than four years of violence, families are being pushed to "extreme measures" in order to survive, said the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) on Monday, as a major conference on rebuilding the country was set to open tomorrow in neighbouring Kuwait.
- Iran to continue supporting role in post-Daesh Iraq: Spokesman IRNA 12 Feb 2018 -- Iran will continue its constructive and supporting role in Iraq's reconstruction era, Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Monday.
- Iraq Needs $25Bln at First Stage of Recovery After Daesh Defeat – Official Sputnik 12 Feb 2018 -- Iraq needs $25 billion to restore infrastructure and housing after the defeat of the Daesh terrorist group (banned in Russia), the adviser to the country's minister of water resources, Zafir Hussein told Sputnik.
- Iraq Seeks $100 Billion for Post-IS Reconstruction VOA 12 Feb 2018 -- The Iraqi government's hope of raising close to $100 billion to reconstruct areas devastated by the Islamic State group appeared dim Monday, as an international reconstruction conference kicked off in Kuwait.
- Baghdad Asks British Energy Giant BP To Study Developing Kirkuk Oil Fields RFE/RL 11 Feb 2018 -- Iraq's oil minister says Baghdad has asked British energy giant BP to draft a study on boosting production in the Kirkuk oil fields in Iraq's Kurdistan region that were reclaimed by Baghdad late last year.
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Feb 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq.
- US has no plan to contribute to rebuilding post-Daesh Iraq: Officials Press TV 09 Feb 2018 -- US and Western officials say Washington has no plan to allocate money to the reconstruction of Iraq, ravaged by the war against the Takfiri Daesh terror group, at an upcoming international fund-raising conference in Kuwait.
- Iraqi Kurds Systematically Executed Hundreds of Captured Daesh Fighters- Report Sputnik 09 Feb 2018 -- Iraqi Kurdish soldiers have been accused of conducting mass executions of captured Daesh fighters by Human Rights Watch (HRW.) The alleged massacre occured after a clash between the two groups near the Iraqi-Syrian border in late August through early September.
- Mattis pressing NATO for long-term stay in Iraq: Report Press TV 08 Feb 2018 -- The United States is reportedly pressing NATO to set up a long-term mission in post-Daesh Iraq amid fears among the European members of the Western military alliance that they could be dragged into yet another Afghanistan-like quagmire.
- Iraqi forces launch offensive against new militant outfit in north Press TV 07 Feb 2018 -- Iraq's armed forces have launched a large-scale military operation along a planned oil transit route in the north against a new militant outfit reportedly comprised of Daesh remnants and Kurdish mafia elements.
- Iraqi Military Announces Operation to Clear Mountains Near Kirkuk Oil Region Sputnik 07 Feb 2018 -- In October 2017, Baghdad retook control of Kirkuk Province as a result of an Iraqi army operation against Kurdish military groups. Kirkuk Province is considered the oil capital of northern Iraq.
- Iraq Launches New Operation Against Militants in NE Region VOA 07 Feb 2018 -- The Iraqi army and the Shi'ite Popular Mobilization Forces on Wednesday started a major offensive against armed militants in the country's northeastern region near the border with Iran.
- Coalition Aviation Advisory and Training Team established in Iraq AFNS 06 Feb 2018 -- U.S. Air Forces Central Command, in coordination with Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve, stood up a Coalition Aviation Advisory and Training Team in Iraq Feb. 1, 2018.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 06 Feb 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- 'Magnet for Terrorists': Iraqi Shiite Groups Reportedly Demand US Withdrawal Sputnik 06 Feb 2018 -- An Iraqi government spokesman confirmed Monday that the US has begun pulling out its forces, following Bagdad's declaration of victory over Daesh (ISIS) in December.
- Pentagon to Shift Troops to Afghanistan From Iraq Sputnik 06 Feb 2018 -- The United States will move troops to Afghanistan from Iraq, however, the shift will not represent a large "exodus" of US soldiers from the country, Department of Defense spokesman Eric Pahon told Sputnik.
- Coalition Announces Shift in Focus as Iraq Campaign Progresses AFPS 05 Feb 2018 -- Enabled by accelerated successes following the liberation of Mosul, the coalition will shift its focus in Iraq from enabling combat operations to sustaining military gains against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials announced today.
- US redeploying troops to Afghanistan from Iraq: Report Press TV 05 Feb 2018 -- The US military is pulling its forces from a base in Iraq and shifting them to Afghanistan following the defeat of Daesh militants in the Arab country, the Associated Press reported on Monday.
- Gov't forces kill 6 Daesh militants in operation in northern Iraq Press TV 05 Feb 2018 -- Iraqi security forces have killed six members of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in an operation in the northern oil-rich province of Kirkuk as they are joined by allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Units to purge the entire country from the extremists.
- 'Iraq combing Anbar for remaining Daesh terrorists' Press TV 03 Feb 2018 -- The Iraqi army is reportedly combing through the expansive western Anbar Province for possible pockets of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group, which the country defeated territorially last December.
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Feb 2018 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria between Jan. 25 and Feb. 1, conducting 41 strikes consisting of 78 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Coalition Operations Continue to Remove ISIS Leaders AFPS 02 Feb 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to remove Islamic State of Iraq and Syria leaders from the battlefield and prevent the terrorist group's ability to regroup and resume its capacity to threaten citizens of all nations, CJTF-OIR officials reported today.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list