Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2012 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- 23 Killed as Iraq Bombings Target Pilgrims VOA 31 Dec 2012 -- Iraqi authorities said a wave of bombings across the country has killed at least 23 people in the latest apparent effort by militants to undermine confidence in the security forces.
- Iraqi Sunnis Hold Protest Against Shi'ite-Led Government VOA 28 Dec 2012 -- Tens of thousands of Iraqis have taken to the streets in a Sunni-dominated western province, the latest in a series of demonstrations against the country's Shi'ite-led government.
- Iraqi President Arrives In Germany For Treatment RFE/RL 20 Dec 2012 -- Iraqi President Jalal Talabani has arrived in Germany for further treatment after suffering a stroke.
- Iraq's Ailing President To Be Moved To Germany For Treatment RFE/RL 19 Dec 2012 -- Doctors treating Iraqi President Jalal Talabani at a Baghdad hospital say he will be flown to Germany for further treatment after suffering a reported stroke.
- IRAQ: No future for al-Qaeda's children IRIN 18 Dec 2012 -- Near a swamp of sewage in a slum in eastern Iraq, six-year-old Amir plays soccer with friends, unaware of a fact that may continue to affect him for the rest of his life:
- Iraq Attacks Kill 26, Many in Kurdish-Claimed Areas VOA 17 Dec 2012 -- Iraqi authorities say bombings and shootings across the country have killed at least 26 people, about half of them in northern regions whose territory is disputed between autonomous Iraqi Kurds and Baghdad's central government.
- Iraqi Air Force receives three C130J aircraft AFNS 17 Dec 2012 -- The Iraqi Air Force celebrated an important milestone when they received a third C-130J aircraft at a rollout ceremony held at Lockheed Martin's factory here Dec. 12, 2012.
- UN envoy strongly condemns wave of deadly violence in Iraq UN News Centre 17 Dec 2012 -- The top United Nations envoy in Iraq strongly condemned today attacks that have claimed dozens of lives across the Middle Eastern nation since Sunday, in many cases targeting civilians.
- Secretary-General calls on Iraqi leaders to resolve differences between themselves and with Kuwait UN News Centre 06 Dec 2012 -- Meeting with Iraqi leaders today, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon raised concerns about political divisions in the country, while also reiterating his call for it and Kuwait to fully mend ties between them.
- U.S., Iraq Sign Defense Cooperation Memo of Understanding AFPS 06 Dec 2012 -- American and Iraqi officials signed a memorandum of understanding today in Baghdad that will make it easier for the two countries to work together.
- United States and Iraq Commit to Enduring Strategic Partnership DoD 06 Dec 2012 -- Under the auspices of the Strategic Framework Agreement, the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq reaffirmed their commitment to an enduring strategic partnership during the second meeting of the Defense and Security Joint Coordination Committee on December 5-6, 2012 in Baghdad.
- Plane Incident Highlights Tensions Between Iraq, Turkey VOA 04 Dec 2012 -- Iraqi authorities have denied entry to a plane carrying the Turkish energy minister Taner Yildiz en route to Erbil, the capital of Iraq's largely-autonomous northern Kurdish region.
- Turkish Minister Barred From Landing In Iraq RFE/RL 04 Dec 2012 -- Turkish and Iraqi officials say Baghdad has banned a plane carrying a Turkish cabinet minister from landing in the autonomous Kurdish region.
- UN Security Council welcomes continued cooperation between Iraq and Kuwait UN News Centre 01 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations Security Council welcomes the continued cooperation of the Governments of Iraq and Kuwait, the 15-member said today in a press statement today.
- Report: Iraq Is Major Weapons Route to Syria VOA 02 Dec 2012 -- A report in a prominent U.S. newspaper says the air corridor over Iraq has become a main supply route for weapons for the beleaguered government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list