Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2011 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- U.S. Forces Iraq Re-evaluates Priorities AFPS 31 May 2011 -- In September 2010, Operation Iraqi Freedom became Operation New Dawn, as the focus of the U.S. mission in Iraq changed from security operations to stability, with the capabilities of the fledgling Iraqi security forces as a key factor.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 31 May 2011 [PDF]
- USF-I enlisted leadership aims to strengthen Iraqi NCO corps Army News 28 May 2011 -- Command Sgt. Maj. Earl L. Rice, senior enlisted advisor to the deputy commanding general for operations, United States Forces - Iraq and commander, XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg, N.C., met with Iraqi army Command Sgt. Maj. Nasser Abd Hasan Johai, senior enlisted advisor, 12th Iraq Army Division, May 19, to discuss military training standards and upcoming events.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 27 May 2011 [PDF]
- 4th AAB closes bases, preps for return home Army News 27 May 2011 -- Soldiers of 4/3rd Infantry Division have begun their departure home to Fort Stewart.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 26 May 2011 [PDF]
- Thousands Of Sadr Followers Rally In Baghdad Against U.S. Presence RFE/RL 26 May 2011 -- Tens of thousands of followers of Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr have staged a massive rally in Baghdad.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 May 2011 [PDF]
- 'Longknife' Squadron, Iraqi police partner to deter terrorism in Baghdad Army News 25 May 2011 -- Soldiers with the 5-4th Cavalry partnered with members of the Iraqi Federal Police to patrol areas of Baghdad.
- U.S. transfers Karbala base to Iraqi Army Army News 25 May 2011 -- Joint Security Station Hussayniyah was officially transferred to Iraqi government authority in a ceremony held May 14.
- Basrah Police Train Commandos in Riot Control Army News 25 May 2011 -- Stability Transition Team Enforcer coordinated riot control training for the Basrah Operations Command commandos through its counterpart, the Iraqi Police ERU.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 24 May 2011 [PDF]
- DOD Announces Iraq Force Deployment DoD 24 May 2011
- Gates Calls for Continued US Iraq Role VOA 24 May 2011 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates: US should maintain a troop presence in Iraq after the scheduled full withdrawal at the end of this year.
- Army tells Congress Iraq on track to transition by year's end Army News 24 May 2011 -- It's up to Iraq now to be successful in their own future, said Secretary of the Army John McHugh.
- Advisors from 3 bases converge for evacuation training AFNS 24 May 2011 -- Air Force and Army medical advisers from bases throughout Iraq converged here to conduct aeromedical evacuation training with their Iraqi counterparts May 18 to 19.
- Iraq says ready to buy Czech-made combat jets RIA Novosti 24 May 2011 -- Iraqi PM Nuri al-Maliki: Iraq is ready to buy light attack aircraft, offered for sale by the Czech republic earlier this month.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 23 May 2011 [PDF]
- More bases close in Iraq as 3ID troops head home Army News 23 May 2011 -- Soldiers of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, have begun their departure home to Fort Stewart.
- Route Clearance Patrols: Making roads safe, checking them twice Army News 23 May 2011 -- Patrolling the streets of Iraq can be a daunting task for the Soldiers who conduct route-clearance patrols.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 20 May 2011 [PDF]
- 3rd ID Headquarters to deploy in late fall Army News 19 May 2011 -- Recently, the Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion, 3rd Infantry Division, was notified by the Department of the Army that they will deploy late this fall in support of Operation New Dawn in Iraq.
- UK pulling out last remaining troops in Iraq IRNA 19 May 2011 -- Britain is withdrawing its last remaining troops -more than 100 Navy personnel – in Iraq, effectively ending its military involvement in the eight-year old war, one of the most controversial in recent history.
- Iraq Trying To Expedite Identification Of Saddam Victims RFE/RL 19 May 2011 -- The Iraqi government is spending millions of dollars to develop its forensic capability so that bereaved families can give a proper burial to the tens of thousands of people whose unidentified remains have been recovered from mass graves, RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq (RFI) reports.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 19 May 2011 [PDF]
- U.S. transfers Karbala base to Iraqi Army Army News 18 May 2011 -- Joint Security Station Hussayniyah was officially transferred to Iraqi government authority in a ceremony held here, May 14, 2011.
- Iraqi air force advance echelon team arrives AFNS 18 May 2011 -- The Iraqi air force is one step closer to taking ownership of Joint Base Balad. A trio of officers and 11 enlisted airmen arrived May 15 to in-process here.
- Operations in Iraq finish with completion of Royal Navy training mission UK MOD 18 May 2011 -- The conclusion of the Royal Navy mission to train Iraqi sailors in the coming days will mark the official end of British Armed Forces operations in Iraq.
- IRAQ: Preparing for a possible returnee influx IRIN 18 May 2011 -- The Iraqi authorities are bracing for a possible influx of returnees from neighbouring countries affected by violent protests, especially Syria, and say hundreds have already returned from Libya.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 18 May 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 17 May 2011 [PDF]
- 'Head Hunter' Squadron trains IA on cordon and search techniques Army News 16 May 2011 -- With weapons raised at the door and eyes scanning the surrounding area for threats, Iraqi Army soldiers maneuvered toward an 'enemy' building at the Ghuzlani Warrior Training Center.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 16 May 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 13 May 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 12 May 2011 [PDF]
- Black Jack Soldiers carry the "torch" back to Iraq Army News 12 May 2011 -- Soldiers from the 2/1st Cavalry Division, began departing Fort Hood, Texas, for Iraq and Kuwait.
- The Basrah Operations Command Army News 12 May 2011 -- Basrah is a 19,000 square kilometer Southern Iraqi province with a growing population of three million people.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 11 May 2011 [PDF]
- Iraq's Prime Minister Calls for Talks on US Troops VOA 11 May 2011 -- Iraqi PM al-Maliki has called for talks with political leaders to discuss whether Iraq will ask U.S. forces to remain in the country next year.
- "Hamilton's Own" ready for mission in Iraq Army News 11 May 2011 -- Soldiers from the oldest continuously serving active duty unit in the American military held its deployment ceremony on May 5.
- Iran hails return of repentant MKO members in Ashraf Camp ISNA 11 May 2011 -- Iranian Intelligence Minister Heidar Moslehi said on Wednesday the country hails return of repentant individuals residing in Camp Ashraf, Iraq.
- Air traffic controllers discuss road ahead in Iraq AFNS 11 May 2011 -- Ten Air Force and Army air traffic controllers advising their Iraqi counterparts at major installations around Iraq convened April 28 to discuss airfield plans.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 10 May 2011 [PDF]
- Army equipping Afghans, Iraqis on Mi-17s Army News 10 May 2011 -- The U.S. Army is acquiring and sustaining Russian-built Mi-17 helicopters for Iraqi and Afghan forces.
- Roadside Bomb Targets Iraqi Police In Tikrit RFE/RL 10 May 2011 -- Iraqi police and medical officials say at least one roadside bomb exploded on May 10 as a police patrol passed through the center of Tikrit.
- 'Saber' Squadron Soldiers teach Iraqi police traffic control point techniques Army News 10 May 2011 -- Soldiers with B/6-9th Cavalry provided traffic control point operations training to their Iraqi partners.
- Russia ready to intensify military cooperation with Iraq - Lavrov RIA Novosti 10 May 2011 -- Russia is ready to strengthen military-technical cooperation with Iraq, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 09 May 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi personnel graduate basic interrogator, instructor courses Army News 07 May 2011 -- The Joint Interrogation and Debriefing Detachment - Iraq graduated 22 Iraqi intelligence agency students from the basic interrogation and interrogator instructor, also known as Train-the-Trainer, courses May 1 at Camp Victory.
- Detainee ops chief gives Karkh prison good reviews Army News 07 May 2011 -- Waiting on the other side of a highly secured prison wall, Mohammed Majhoul, deputy director general for internal affairs with Iraqi Correctional Services, welcomed Maj. Gen. Adolph McQueen, deputy commanding general for detainee operations and provost marshal general of United States Forces - Iraq, as he entered the gates of the Karhk Prison, April 26.
- 'Black Dragon' Soldiers mentor Iraqi policemen at Ghuzlani Army News 06 May 2011 -- U.S. Soldiers assigned to Battery A, 5th Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment taught Iraqi policemen room-clearing techniques during an urban operations class at Ghuzlani Eagle Training Site, April 27.
- Helicopters return to Fort Riley after year in Iraq Army News 06 May 2011 -- Finished with a year's work in Iraq, Fort Riley's helicopters are home.
- Steel Dragons help southern Iraq prepare for future security Army News 06 May 2011 -- The 2nd Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment, 3rd Advise and Assist Brigade hosted a conference with local military and police officials to discuss ways to secure southern Iraq's main roadways April 26 at Contingency Operating Base Adder.
- 'Saber' Soldiers Conduct Map Reading Course with Iraqi Partners Army News 06 May 2011 -- Iraqi unit boundary and hierarchical changes have caused 6th Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Advise and Assist Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, United States Division - Center to become partnered with new units.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 06 May 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 05 May 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi air force primed for power AFNS 04 May 2011 -- More than 30 Iraqi service members graduated from an introductory power production course taught by U.S. service members here May 2.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 04 May 2011 [PDF]
- 36th Infantry Division, U.S. Division - South Medical Keeps Soldiers 'In the Fight' Army News 03 May 2011 -- The list is daunting. It includes some very sensitive and private subjects: suicide, marital distress, the emotional turmoil that comes with taking another's life--or seeing the life of a fellow Soldier violently taken away.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 03 May 2011 [PDF]
- Combat vehicle work continues for FMS to Iraq, ceremony held Army News 02 May 2011 -- Anniston Army Depot officially announced production of 586 M113 Family of Vehicles and 21 M88A1s through a foreign military sales case during a rollout ceremony here on April 28. These vehicles will be used by the Iraqi government to meet their specific national requirements.
- Iran's Press TV Suggests Israeli Military Buildup In Iraq RFE/RL 02 May 2011 -- A report from Iranian state television suggests Israel has been gathering military aircraft at a U.S. air base in Iraq in preparation for an attack on the Islamic republic.
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 02 May 2011 [PDF]
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list