Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 April 2008 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Presidential Candidates Question US Military Commander About Iraq VOA 08 Apr 2008 -- The major U.S. presidential candidates are in Washington for key Senate hearings on Iraq
- Petraeus, Crocker Face 2nd Day of Questions on Iraq VOA 08 Apr 2008 -- The top U.S. military commander in Iraq, and the U.S. ambassador in Baghdad, face another day of questions from members of Congress Wednesday
- Petraeus Calls for Minimum 45-Day Pause in US Iraq Withdrawals After July VOA 08 Apr 2008 -- The top U.S. military commander in Iraq and the U.S. ambassador told Congress Tuesday that progress in Iraq is "fragile" and "reversible," and called for continuing U.S. commitment, including an open-ended pause in U.S. troop withdrawals after the last of the surge forces leave in July
- U.S. Troops Devoted to Iraq Mission Despite Strain, Petraeus Says AFPS 08 Apr 2008 -- American troops fighting in Iraq understand the importance of their mission there despite strains caused by repeated deployments, the senior U.S. military officer in Iraq told Senate Foreign Relations Committee members today.
- Iraq Security Situation Improved, But Remains Fragile AFPS 08 Apr 2008 -- Last year's surge of U.S. troops into Iraq has helped tamp down violence and improve security there, but the situation remains fragile, the top U.S. military and diplomatic officials in Iraq testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee here today.
- Iran Threatens Iraq's Stability, Officials Say AFPS 08 Apr 2008 -- The recent spike in violence in southern Iraq highlights the destructive role Iran has played in funding, training, arming and directing extremist "special groups" in Iraq and generates renewed concern about Iran's influence in the country, the top U.S. commander in Iraq said today.
- Bush Confers Highest Military Decoration on Fallen Navy SEAL AFPS 08 Apr 2008 -- President Bush today posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor to Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor, a Navy SEAL whose mortal sacrifice in Iraq saved the lives of two fellow SEALs and several Iraqi soldiers.
- Analysis: A Freeze in the Surge cfr.org 08 Apr 2008 -- For years the debate over American involvement in Iraq has centered on how long to stay and at what cost to U.S. forces
- IRAQ: Dozens of families flee clashes in Sadr City IRIN 08 Apr 2008 -- Dozens of families are fleeing clashes in Baghdad's largest slum - Sadr City - to seek shelter in nearby neighbourhoods, according to the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS) and residents.
- Soldiers Patrol Sadr City in Wake of Intense Fighting AFPS 08 Apr 2008 -- Days after intense fighting and the March 30 call to peace from Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers patrol the outskirts of Sadr City, a district of the Iraqi capital, ensuring the safety of the city's residents.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list