Polish president approves Iraq troop pullout by October 31
21/12/2007 22:06 WARSAW, December 21 (RIA Novosti) - Poland's President Lech Kaczynski has approved the government's proposal to withdraw Polish troops from Iraq by October 31, 2008, local radio said Friday.
The Polish contingent has been deployed in Iraq since 2003, and currently numbers about 900. A total of 25 Polish soldiers have been killed in the country.
Kaczynski, a staunch supporter of the U.S., has previously resisted calls for a pullout from Iraq, and until recently had the backing of a government led by his twin brother, ex-premier Jaroslaw Kaczynski.
Addressing parliament on November 23 in his inaugural speech, Prime Minister Donald Tusk said that his government would ensure a complete withdrawal of troops by the end of next year, in line with his Civic Platform party's pre-election pledge.
"In one year's time, I will announce to you here in this chamber that our military mission in Iraq is over," Tusk said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|