Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 November 2007 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- DoD Announces Force Adjustment 05 Nov 2007 -- The Department of Defense announced today that the 10th Mountain Division headquarters, based in Fort Drum, N.Y., is scheduled to deploy in the spring of 2008 to support Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- 10th Mountain Division Headquarters to Deploy to Iraq AFPS 05 Nov 2007 -- About 1,000 members of 10th Mountain Division will deploy to Iraq this spring as replacements for troops due to rotate home, Defense Department officials announced today.
- Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group Deploys Navy NewsStand 05 Nov 2007 -- More than 7,300 Sailors from 17 commands and three staffs left their homeports Nov. 5 as Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (HSTCSG) deployed to the Central Command Area of Operations as part of the ongoing rotation to support Maritime Security Operations in the region.
- NCWRON 5 Returns from Iraq Navy NewsStand 05 Nov 2007 -- Sailors from Naval Coastal Warfare Squadron (NCWRON) 5 returned to Naval Air Station (NAS) North Island from a six-month deployment to the Middle East Nov. 3 to cheers, tears and hugs from their loved ones.
- Bush Says Turkey, U.S. To Expand Effort on Kurdish Terror Group Washignton File 05 Nov 2007 -- President Bush pledged to increase U.S. intelligence-sharing and security cooperation with Turkey to confront terrorists from the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), following a recent deadly series of PKK cross-border attacks from northern Iraq.
- Iraqi Red Crescent: Nearly 2.3 Million People Displaced in Iraq VOA 05 Nov 2007 -- The Iraqi Red Crescent says nearly 2.3 million Iraqis - mostly women and children - have fled their homes in Iraq and remain displaced within the country.
- Urban Centers in Iraq's Anbar Province Enjoying Stability, Renewal AFPS 05 Nov 2007 -- Iraqi and coalition forces have largely purged extremists from urban areas in Iraq's Anbar province over the past 10 months, allowing renewal efforts to flourish with reduced meddling by terrorists, a coalition commander in the region said today.
- IRAQ: Families flee homes near Turkish border IRIN 05 Nov 2007 -- About 120 Iraqi families living near the Iraqi-Turkish border have been forced to abandon their homes by fighters of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), according to the Kurdistan Campaign to Help Victims of War, an NGO, and local residents.
- IRAQ: Christians seek new life in Europe IRIN 06 Nov 2007 -- Members of the Iraqi Christian community in the northern cities of Mosul and Kirkuk have asked European countries to expedite their visa applications and grant them asylum, according to Christian leaders there.
- Turkey Sends Message to Kurds Through US VOA 05 Nov 2007 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayipp Erdogan is visiting Washington for talks with U.S. President George Bush about dealing with Kurdish rebels who have been attacking Turkey from bases in northern Iraq
- UK armed forces damaged by Iraq war, report warns IRNA 05 Nov 2007 -- Britain's armed forces are on a "dangerously unsustainable course" at a time of growing turbulence and risk, a leading think-tank warned Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list