22 December 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 22 Dec 2005 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- TASK FORCE BAGHDAD SOLDIER KILLED
- Operational Update-Dec 22, 2005 MNF-I 22 Dec 2005 -- BRIEFING BY MAJOR GENERAL RICK LYNCH, MNF-I DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF, ON TOPICS INCLUDING SECURITY ASPECTS OF ELECTION, CURRENT OPERATIONS, AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES FOR IRAQI SECURITY FORCES
- Transcript: News Briefing with PDASD for Public Affairs Lawrence Di Rita and Lt. Gen. James Conway 22 Dec 2005 -- Presenter: Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs Lawrence Di Rita and Director, Operations Directorate, Joint Chiefs of Staff Lt. Gen. James T. Conway
- IED in Baghdad Claims Soldier's Life; Weapons Caches Uncovered AFPS 22 Dec 2005 -- A Task Force Baghdad soldier was killed by an improvised explosive device today while on patrol in Baghdad, military officials reported.
- CENTAF releases daily airpower summary report AFN 22 Dec 2005 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials released today's airpower summary.
- Platoon perfects art of locating weapons caches Army News 22 Dec 2005 -- A unique group of Soldiers are reeling in weapons caches and improvised explosive devices from the streets of Balad . They were the last platoon from their company to start doing patrols.
- Task Force Band of Brothers Soldiers seize weapons caches MNF-I 22 Dec 2005 -- Iraqi and U.S. Soldiers are continuing to have success uncovering weapon caches throughout north central Iraq.
- Security, Sunni Participation Deterred Election Violence, General Says AFPS 22 Dec 2005 -- Increased numbers of capable Iraqi security forces and more Sunni involvement in the electoral process were among the factors that deterred terrorist violence before and during the Dec. 15 voting, a senior U.S. military officer told reporters at a Baghdad news conference today.
- Secretary Hints at Troop Reduction During Flight to Iraq AFPS 22 Dec 2005 -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld hinted at an announcement on troops levels in Iraq during a flight here today.
- Iraqi Security Forces Gaining in Quality, General Says AFPS 22 Dec 2005 -- Iraqi security forces are growing in quality as well as quantity, a senior U.S. military officer told reporters at a Baghdad news conference today.
- U.S. Forces to Take on Different Role in Iraq, Officials Say AFPS 22 Dec 2005 -- As Iraqi security forces grow and develop increased combat capabilities, U.S. forces will shift from a focus on combat operations to a focus on supporting the Iraqis as they take the lead in operations, two Defense Department officials said at a Pentagon news briefing today.
- US Laments Media Focus on Saddam Charges at Trial VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- The U.S. State Department Thursday criticized media coverage of Saddam Hussein's trial in Iraq, saying his courtroom outbursts are getting more coverage than the testimony of his victims.
- US General Says Iraqis Reaching 'Saturation Point' with Insurgents VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- A senior U.S. military officer says the number of insurgent attacks in Iraq is down since last week's election, and he believes the Iraqi people have reached what he calls the "saturation point" of their willingness to tolerate such attacks.
- Rumsfeld Says Quick Pullout in Iraq, Afghanistan Risky VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld Thursday warned an early withdrawal of troops from Iraq or Afghanistan would fuel terrorist attacks inside the United States.
- Secretary of Defense visits Troops at Camp Victory MNF-I 22 Dec 2005 -- The Secretary of Defense, Donald H. Rumsfeld, met with U.S. senior officials at the Multi-National Force - Iraq headquarters in al-Faw Palace this evening.
- Iraqi Opposition Groups Reject Early Election Results RFE/RL 22 Dec 2005 -- Thirty-five Iraqi political groups today rejected preliminary, partial results from the parliamentary elections held on 15 December.
- Iraq: Parties Complain Of Fraud, Call For Election Rerun RFE/RL 22 Dec 2005 -- Leading Iraqi politicians announced on 21 December that they would launch their own investigation into allegations of election fraud in the 15 December parliamentary elections.
- Iraq Mired in Division as Year Comes to an End VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- Iraqis went to the polls for the third time in December, bringing an end to a year in which the process of building a new, democratic, post-Saddam Iraq has raised more alarm than optimism in the war-torn country.
- 35 Iraqi Political Groups Reject Early Election Results VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- Thirty-five Iraqi political groups, including Sunni Arabs and secular Shi'ites, have rejected the early results from last week's election.
- Saddam Trial Adjourns After Graphic Testimony on 1982 Massacre VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- The trial of deposed Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein for alleged crimes against humanity has been adjourned until January 24.
- Saddam Challenges Witness Testimony in Baghdad Trial, Threatens Walkout VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- The seventh day Saddam Hussein's trial continued Thursday in Baghdad.
- Italy Places US Marine Under Investigation in Intelligence Agent's Death VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- Italian prosecutors have placed a U.S. Marine under formal investigation for his role in the death of an Italian intelligence agent at a checkpoint near Baghdad in March.
- Blair Links British Troop Withdrawal to Readiness of Iraqi Forces VOA 22 Dec 2005 -- British Prime Minister Tony Blair has told British troops in Iraq they could return home once Iraqi forces are able to manage their own security.
- Polish Prime Minister visits Camp Echo MNF-I 22 Dec 2005 -- Polish Prime Minister Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz met with Multinational Division Central - South Soldiers to wish them "all the best" during the Christmas season.
- IRAQ: Tougher regulations for visas announced IRIN 22 Dec 2005 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has made the application process for Iraqi visas more stringent, with the aim of preventing insurgents from entering the country.
- RFE/RL Iraq Report, Volume 8, Number 44 22 Dec 2005 -- Iraq: Parties Complain Of Fraud, Call For Election Rerun / Iraq's Sunni Parties Fume At Partial Election Results
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|