Al-Qaida in Iraq Says Moroccan Hostages to Face Trial
01 November 2005
Al-Qaida in Iraq says it will put on trial two employees of the Moroccan embassy in Baghdad that it kidnapped last month.
In an unverifiable Internet posting, the group led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi said Tuesday an Islamic court would determine the men's fate.
The Moroccan government has confirmed that two of its employees disappeared October 20 while driving from Jordan to Baghdad.
Meanwhile, the U.S. military says it released 500 detainees from Abu Ghraib prison Tuesday, ahead of this week's Eid al-Fitr holiday, which marks the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. None of those released was guilty of violent crimes.
And the U.S. military reported the death of another service member. The soldier, killed Monday, was the 93rd American killed in Iraq last month, making it the second deadliest month this year for American forces in Iraq.
Some information for this report provided by AP and Reuters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|