Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 August 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Gunmen Attack Iraqi Convoy, at Least 6 Talabani Bodyguards Dead VOA News 27 Aug 2005 -- Iraqi police say gunmen have attacked a convoy belonging to Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, killing at least six of his bodyguards and wounding as many as 15 others.
- Iraq: Al-Sadr Reasserts Himself -- This Time Against Coreligionists RFE/RL 25 Aug 2005 -- Iraqi Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr appears to be playing both agitator and mediator in the sudden surge of internecine fighting that broke out on 24 August between rival Shi'ite groups in Al-Najaf and subsequently spread to eight cities across Iraq.
- Iraqi Radical Cleric Calls For End To Clashes RFE/RL 25 Aug 2005 -- Radical Shi'ite Muslim cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has called for an end to armed clashes between his followers and supporters of a rival Shi'ite group.
- Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Condemns Fighting VOA News 25 Aug 2005 -- In Iraq, a radical Shiite cleric has called on his followers to end the deadly clashes that erupted in several Shiite cities Wednesday, and to concentrate on unity as the country's lawmakers struggled to agree on a new constitution.
- Iraqi Premier Tries To Quell Violence RFE/RL 25 Aug 2005 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Ja'fari has appealed for calm following clashes between rival Shi'ite Muslim groups in the Shi'ite holy city of Al-Najaf and in Baghdad and elsewhere.
- Iraqi Police Find 36 Bodies Southeast of Baghdad VOA News 25 Aug 2005 -- Iraqi police say they have found the bodies of 36 men dumped in a river southeast of Baghdad.
- IRAQ: People falling ill from contaminated water IRIN 25 Aug 2005 -- Numerous cases of people falling ill from contaminated water in districts across Baghdad have been reported by local doctors and the Ministry of Public Works this week.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list