Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 April 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Bush Congratulates New Iraqi President Jalal Talabani Washington File 06 Apr 2005 -- President Bush extended his congratulations to Iraq's newly selected President Jalal Talabani and his two deputy presidents, Adil Abd al-Mahdi and Ghazi Ajil al-Yawer, in a statement issued April 6, shortly after Iraq's National Assembly agreed on the positions.
- Annan congratulates new Iraqi president; offers UN help in writing constitution UN News Centre 06 Apr 2005 -- Congratulating Iraq's new President Jalal Talabani on his election today, Secretary-General Kofi Annan today stressed the need for national unity, a goal the United Nations has been seeking with redoubled resolve since elections in January, and pledged the world body's help in writing a constitution that cements reconciliation.
- IRAQ PRESIDENT VOA 06 Apr 2005 -- Iraq's parliament has elected Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani as the country's new president, choosing a member of the long-repressed minority to be head of state. The assembly also chose two vice-presidents: outgoing president Ghazi al-Yawer, a Sunni, and interim Finance Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi, a Shi'ite.
- Iraq: Choice Of Parliamentary Speaker Reveals Sunni Discord RFE/RL 06 Apr 2005 -- Sunnis successfully nominated fellow parliamentarian Hajim al-Hassani as speaker of the National Assembly on 3 April. The choice followed several days of internal friction and disagreements with the Shi'ite-led United Iraqi Alliance (UIA) over a Sunni candidate. Such friction suggests a growing fissure between mainstream Sunnis and the Muslim Scholars Association, a group that claims to represent some 3,000 mosques in Iraq.
- Iraqi Parliament Elects President, Vice Presidents RFE/RL 06 Apr 2005 -- Iraq's new National Assembly today elected Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani to be the country's president.
- Iraqi Assembly Elects Talabani President RFE/RL 06 Apr 2005 -- Weeks of deadlock gave way to political compromise today as Iraq's new parliament approved Kurd Jalal Talabani as the country's president, with Sunni and Shi'ite choices to fill two vice-presidential posts.
- Iraq: Presidential Choice Is Landmark For Kurds RFE/RL 06 Apr 2005 -- The Iraqi National Assembly elected Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) head Jalal Talabani to be the country's new president on 6 April. Talabani's rise is a milestone in the history of Iraq's long oppressed Kurds.
- Al Anbar Soldiers to train at Kirkush MNF-I/MNC-I 08 Apr 2005 -- Approximately 700 former Iraqi National Guard Soldiers from Al Anbar Province will commence basic combat training here at the Kirkush Military Training Base on April 12
- IRAQ / PRESIDENT VOA 06 Apr 2005 -- Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani (PRON: jah-LAHL tah-lah-BAH-nee), the newly-elected president of Iraq, says the government must now defeat the bloody insurgency and improve security.
- Iraqi Media Monitoring UNAMI 06 Apr 2005
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list