Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 May 2004 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 28 May 2004 [PDF]
- Transcript: Coalition Provisional Authority Briefing 28 May 2004 -- Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, Deputy Director For Coalition Operations; and Dan Senor, Senior Adviser, CPA
- Transcript: United States Central Command Briefing 28 May 2004 -- Maj Gen. John Sattler, Central Command Director of Operations
- CENTCOM Ops Chief Updates Theater Action AFPS 28 May 2004 -- A truce between radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and the U.S.-led coalition in the Iraqi holy city of Najaf is holding, the U.S. Central Command operations director said today.
- Coalition Hopes to Ease Tensions With Weapons 'Buy-Back' AFPS 28 May 2004 -- U.S. soldiers in Iraq are distributing leaflets in Karbala, urging Iraqis in the city to turn in their weapons in exchange for cash, a senior military official said today in Baghdad.
- Attack On Iraqi Governing Council Member Kills Two RFE/Rl 28 May 2004 -- A member of the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council has survived an assault on her convoy yesterday, but her son and at least one bodyguard were reported killed in the ambush.
- POSSIBLE PEACE DEAL REACHED IN AN NAJAF CENTCOM Release 28 May 2004-- Coalition forces are prepared to suspend offensive operations in An Najaf and reposition to bases outside the city as part of an agreement brokered between Muqtada al-Sadr and Shi'ite members of the Iraqi Governing Council May 27.
- MWSS-273 welders cut, burn, melt their way to mission accomplishment Marine Corps News 28 May 2004-- The Marines of Marine Wing Support Squadron 273, Marine Wing Support Group 37, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, arrived here in February with one thing in mind, supporting the Marines and Sailors of 3rd MAW with anything they need.
- CPA Administrator's Weekly Report 28 May 2004 [MS Word]
- Bush Thanks Denmark for Troops, Pledges Iraq's Sovereignty AFPS 28 May 2004 -- President Bush thanked Denmark for its troop support to Operation Iraqi Freedom during Danish Prime Minister Anders Rasmussen's visit to the White House today.
- BUSH/IRAQ VOA 28 May 2004 -- President Bush says U-S officials are making progress toward a new U-N resolution on the future of Iraq. Mr. Bush is continuing to seek support for that resolution with a telephone call to the Russian president and an Oval Office meeting with the Danish prime minister.
- POWELL / IRAQ / U-N VOA 28 May 2004 -- Secretary of State Colin Powell said Friday he expects that leaders of the soon-to-be-named Iraqi interim government will take part in U-N Security Council debate on a resolution endorsing the June 30th transfer of sovereignty from the U-S-led coalition. He said discussion of the U-S and British-sponsored resolution has been constructive, and that he does not expect the process to stall.
- Consolidated Weekly Economic Report Coalition Provisional Authority 28 May 2004 [MSWord]
- S/2004/435: Seventeenth quarterly report UNOMIVC 28 May 2004 [PDF 214 Kb]
- Brahimi 'respects' Iraqi Council's decision on Prime Minister-designate UN News Centre 28 May 2004 -- United Nations Special Adviser Lakhdar Brahimi respects the decision taken by the Iraqi Governing Council to name Iyad Allawi as Iraq's Prime Minister-designate, a spokesman for the world body said today in response to press questions.
- U-N / ALLAWI VOA 28 May 2004 -- The United Nations envoy to Iraq has welcomed the choice of Iyad Allawi to be prime minister in the interim Iraqi government. Mr. Allawi is likely to address the Security Council as it considers a draft resolution on Iraq.
- IRAQ WRAP VOA 28 May 2004 -- The U-S-appointed Iraqi Governing Council has nominated a Shi'ite member of the council, Iyad Allawi, to be prime minister in the country's interim government. A spokesman for the United Nations says the organization welcomes and respects the decision.
- IRAQ / GOVERNING COUNCIL VOA 28 May 2004 -- The Iraqi Governing Council has nominated one of its own members, Shiite Muslim Iyad Allawi, as its candidate for prime minister of the caretaker government that will take power in Iraq on June 30th. The nomination is just one of hundreds put forth by various Iraqi groups to the U-N special envoy to Iraq, Lakhdar Brahimi, who is charged with forming the next interim government.
- President Khatami discusses Iraqi situation with Indian prime minister IRNA 27 May 2004 -- President Mohammad Khatami here on Friday said that Iran and India should show utmost cooperation in the international campaign to combat terrorism, drug trafficking and violence.
- JAPAN/IRAQ/JOURNALISTS VOA 28 May 2004 -- Japan's government on Friday said it is asking the U-S-led Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq to investigate a fatal attack on a vehicle carrying two Japanese journalists.
- RFE/RL Iraq Report, Volume 7, Number 19 28 May 2004 -- IRAQI CLERIC AGREES TO WITHDRAW MILITIA FROM AL-NAJAF / AL-SADR MILITIAMEN DISPERSE IN KARBALA / SHI'ITE CLERIC SAYS AL-SADR MILITIAMEN ARE FORMER REGIME MEMBERS, CRIMINALS / RUSSIA WITHDRAWS WORKERS AFTER TWO KILLED / FORMER NUCLEAR SCIENTIST RUMORED TO BE NAMED PRIME MINISTER / IRAQI SUPREME COURT REJECTS APPEAL BY UKRAINIAN SAILORS / U.S. ARMY REPORT DETAILS WIDESPREAD PRISONER ABUSE IN IRAQ / DETAINEES REVEAL DETAILS OF PRISON ABUSE / IRAQI DEFENSE MINISTER SAYS FOREIGN TROOPS WILL NOT STAY LONG / TURKOMAN LEADER ASSASSINATED IN KIRKUK / INTERIOR MINISTRY OFFICIAL SURVIVES ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT / UTHMAN CALLS FOR FORMER INTELLIGENCE OFFICERS TO BE REINSTATED / GOVERNING COUNCIL PRESIDENT OPTIMISTIC ABOUT HANDOVER / GOVERNING COUNCIL MIGHT MOVE OUT OF GREEN ZONE / IRAQI NATIONAL CONGRESS LEADER DENIES FEEDING INTELLIGENCE TO IRAN... / ...AND CRITICIZES DRAFT UN RESOLUTION -- AND BRAHIMI / KIMMITT PLEDGES INVESTIGATION INTO BOMBING / PROPERTY CLAIMS COMMISSION OPENS AL-BASRAH OFFICE... / ...AS CPA ANNOUNCES SPECIAL TASK FORCE FOR VICTIM COMPENSATION / DAILY CITES AL-ZARQAWI MESSAGE CONFIRMING HIS PRESENCE IN IRAQ / DONORS GATHER IN DOHA FOR IRAQ RECONSTRUCTION CONFERENCE / KUWAIT DONATES $5 MILLION TO IRAQI TRUST FUND / EGYPT SAYS MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD SENT FIGHTERS TO IRAQ / JORDAN TO REQUEST EXTRADITION OF CHALABI? / ANTIOCCUPATION DEMONSTRATORS CLASH WITH POLICE IN BAHRAIN / IRANIAN GENERAL CLAIMS U.S. DEFEATED MILITARILY IN IRAQ / U.S., U.K. PRESENT DRAFT RESOLUTION TO UN SECURITY COUNCIL / ...AS UN ENVOY CONTINUES CONSULTATIONS IN BAGHDAD / UKRAINE TO SEND MORE TROOPS TO IRAQ / U.S. PRESIDENT'S SPEECH DOESN'T PLAY WELL IN IRAQ / U.K. GOVERNMENT OFFERING SOLDIERS SABBATICALS TO WORK IN IRAQ / U.K. FOREIGN OFFICE MEMO DETAILS WAY FORWARD
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list