Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 January 2004 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 08 Jan 2004 [PDF]
- Transcript: Coalition Provisional Authority Briefing from Baghdad 08 Jan 2004 -- Participating were Army Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, deputy director of operations, Coalition Joint Task Force 7, and Dan Senor, senior advisor to the Coalition Provisional Authority
- 9 Dead in Black Hawk Crash Near Fallujah AFPS 08 Jan 2004 -- An Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crashed southeast of Fallujah, Iraq, today, killing all nine aboard, coalition officials said during a press conference in Baghdad.
- PENTAGON/IRAQ VOA 08 Jan 2004 -- New information has emerged about a mortar attack on a U-S supply base outside Baghdad that claimed the life of one American soldier and left 30 others wounded.
- IRAQ / WRAP VOA 08 Jan 2004 -- Nine American soldiers died when their helicopter made an emergency crash landing near the Iraqi town of Fallujah. At the same time U-S officials released dozens of Iraqi prisoners, but these were not part of the promised release of hundreds of security detainees
- Iraq: Mortar Strike Kills One U.S. Soldier, Wounds 34 RFE/RL 08 Jan 2004 -- Insurgents hit a U.S. military camp west of Baghdad with mortar fire, killing one soldier and wounding 34.
- Iraq: Eight Dead In U.S. Helicopter Crash RFE/RL 08 Jan 2004 -- Eight people were killed today when a U.S. helicopter went down west of Baghdad in what the military called an emergency landing.
- 35 US Troops Wounded in Mortar Attack Outside Baghdad VOA News 08 Jan 2004 -- U.S. officials say 35 American troops were wounded Wednesday in a mortar attack west of Baghdad.
- 13th MEU (SOC) Cracks Down on Drug Smuggling Marine Corps News 08 Jan 2004-- Marines of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable), along with Sailors of Expeditionary Strike Group-One, interdicted a dhow bearing an estimated 2,800 pounds of hashish while crossing the North Arabian Sea Dec. 31.
- C-5 lands safely after emergency AFPN 08 Jan 2004-- A C-5 Galaxy leaving Baghdad International Airport declared an in-flight emergency Jan. 8, at 6:20 a.m. Baghdad time, because of an explosion in the No. 4 engine.
- Fort Campbell Troops Return Home After Deployment to Iraq AFPS 08 Jan 2004 -- Bitter cold and pre-dawn exhaustion did not deter a crowd of enthusiastic families, friends and fellow soldiers waiting with signs, flags and smiles here Jan. 7.
- First 101st Airborne troops return from Iraq Army News Service 08 Jan 2004-- Bitter cold and pre-dawn exhaustion did not deter the crowd waiting with signs, flags and smiles for the first flight of 101st Airborne Division Soldiers returning from Iraq.
- USS Boxer to Deploy in Support of Global War on Terrorism Navy Newsstand 08 Jan 2004-- More than 200 Marines and 900 Sailors embarked aboard USS Boxer (LHD 4) will deploy Jan. 14 from San Diego to the Central Command (CENTCOM) area of responsibility (AOR) in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom II (OIF II) force rotation.
- Transcript: Powell Affirms Confidence in Decision To Wage Iraq War Washington File 08 Jan 2004 -- Secretary of State Colin Powell strongly defended President Bush's decision to go to war with Iraq, saying he is confident of the facts he presented last February to the United Nations Security Council on the threat from the Saddam Hussein regime.
- Powell Restates U.S. Concerns Over Iraqi WMD that Led to War Washington File 08 Jan 2004 -- Secretary of State Colin Powell said it was "incontrovertible" that the former Iraqi regime led by Saddam Hussein had used weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and had every intention of developing them further.
- POWELL / W-M-D VOA 08 Jan 2004 -- The Bush administration is coming under renewed attack over whether its claim that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction was backed up by solid evidence. A group of private American weapons experts is now calling for an independent commission to look into the matter. But the Bush administration continues to defend its pre-war claims which were the basis for military action against Iraq.
- Powell Defends U.N. Speech Linking Iraq to WMDs AFPS 08 Jan 2004 -- Secretary of State Colin Powell today defended his Feb. 5 assertions before the United Nations Security Council that Saddam Hussein's Iraq possessed and was hiding weapons of mass destruction in defiance of numerous council resolutions.
- U.S. Senator Sees Important Role for U.N. in Iraq Washington File 08 Jan 2004 -- U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel said January 8 that the United Nations should have a "very significant" presence and involvement in Iraq in order to bring international legitimacy to the rebuilding and restructuring of the country.
- Pentagon ponders appointment of four-star general in Iraq PLA Daily 08 Jan 2004 -- United States Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday he is considering appointing a four-star US general to handle security aspects of Iraq's transition to self-rule.
- U-S/Iraq/U-N VOA 08 Jan 2004 -- Senior U-S and Iraqi officials are increasing pressure on U-N Secretary General Kofi Annan to accept a more prominent United Nations role in Iraq. Diplomatic efforts are underway to improve cooperation between the world body and the Bush administration.
- IRAQ: Focus on Oil-For- Food Programme IRIN 08 Jan 2004
- Iraq: U.S. Begins Freeing First Batch Of Prisoners Under New Amnesty Program RFE/RL 08 Jan 2004 -- U.S. authorities began releasing about 100 Iraqis detained since the start of the war. The head of the Coalition Provisional Authority, L. Paul Bremer, announced that more detainees will be allowed to return to their families in the near future. The step may mark the beginning of a new U.S. policy in Iraq -- one aimed at reconciliation.
- JORDAN: Refugees from Iraq resettled IRIN 08 Jan 2004 -- Most of the Sudanese and Somali refugees who fled Iraq this spring as the government fell are now being taken in by the US and Australia.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list