Iran rejects 'baseless' G7 accusation over tanker attack, says committed to Persian Gulf security
Iran Press TV
Saturday, 07 August 2021 2:21 PM
Iran has denounced a "baseless" statement issued by the Group of Seven (G7) which has accused the country of involvement in last week's attack on an Israeli-managed ship off the coast of Oman, reiterating the Islamic Republic's commitment to ensuring security in the strategic Persian Gulf.
"We strongly condemn the baseless statement by G7 foreign ministers and the High Representative of the European Union which has leveled groundless accusations against the Islamic Republic of Iran," Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Saturday.
He said the "incident" was orchestrated just a few days before the inauguration of the new Iranian president, which is a manifestation of the democratic transfer of power in Iran, he added.
The Iranian spokesperson emphasized such unfounded scenarios, which are often backed by the Israeli regime, are designed to disturb the atmosphere, expressing regret that certain "customers" who jump into "unrealistic and unwise conclusions" also support such claims.
In fact, Khatibzadeh said, such plots that have been hatched by the Israeli regime at various junctures are not new to experts and those familiar with the history of this region.
"The Islamic Republic of Iran is fully committed to ensuring security of the strategic waterway of the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz and regards it as part of its own security, and continues to stand ready to cooperate with regional countries in creating, establishing and guaranteeing sustainable collective security in the region," he added.
The spokesman emphasized that Iran would not "hesitate even a bit to defend its sovereign rights in this area."
The foreign ministers of the G7 member states -- Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Britain and the US â€“ and the EU representative on Friday issued a joint statement, condemning what they called "the unlawful attack" on the Israeli-linked ship -- Mercer Street -- on July 29 and blaming Iran for orchestrating the attack.
"This was a deliberate and targeted attack, and a clear violation of international law. All available evidence clearly points to Iran. There is no justification for this attack," the joint statement read.
Iran has categorically rejected the accusation, warning about any efforts aimed at destabilizing the region and vilifying Tehran.
In a letter to the president of the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday, the deputy permanent representative of Iran to the UN, Zahra Ershadi, warned about recent suspicious attempts to create fabricated maritime "incidents" in the Persian Gulf and the broader region, after the US and its allies accused Iran of the attack on the Israeli-managed ship, urging a swift end to such "irresponsible acts" that harm the region's peace.
Meanwhile, the commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC)'s Navy said on Friday that the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz are fully secure, stressing foreign powers are not welcome in the strategic region.
"There is full security in all water borders of the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, and we always stand ready to ensure the security of the Islamic Republic's interests in international waters," Rear Admiral Alireza Tangsiri said, the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) reported.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|