AEOI says no explosion hit Yazd nuclear site in central Iran
Iran Press TV
Tuesday, 07 July 2020 2:51 PM
The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) has dismissed rumors about an explosion at a nuclear facility in the central province of Yazd, saying such claims are in line with an anti-Iran propaganda campaign serving Israeli and American goals.
The AEOI issued a statement on Tuesday in response to the reports that circulated mostly on social media on Tuesday morning, claiming that a blast had hit the Shahid Rezaeinejad yellowcake factory in the city of Ardakan, Yazd Province.
The rumors were accompanied with a satellite image claiming to show damage at the site of the alleged incident.
The AEOI, however, said no incident had happened at the site, and that such "bogus claims" had been spread in media by "counter-revolutionary elements abroad" with an aim to further the goals of the "terrorist and warmongering Zionist regime."
The rumors, it added, are also in line with a propaganda campaign underway against Iran and the US's so-called maximum pressure policy targeting the Iranian nation.
The Iranian nuclear body emphasized that the alleged satellite images released to back up the claims had nothing to do with the Natanz site.
The media claims came few days after the AEOI spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi reported an incident at the Natanz nuclear complex but emphasized that there has been no damage to the main uranium enrichment facility.
Later on Friday, spokesman for Iran's Supreme National Security Council Keyvan Khosravi said that the "main cause" of the incident had been determined and would be announced at an appropriate time.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|