Russia: UN chief report blaming Iran for attacks on Saudi oil facilities not based on convincing evidence
Iran Press TV
Wednesday, 17 June 2020 6:04 PM
The Russian Foreign Ministry says the UN chief's report on Iran's involvement in the last year attacks on Saudi oil facilities is biased and not substantiated by facts.
"What we surely won't argue with is, unfortunately, that the report can hardly be called balanced and calibrated," the ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said during a press briefing on Wednesday.
She added Russia will present a "detailed analysis" of the UN report during the relevant discussion at the Security Council later on June 30.
"We can also speak about a lack of impartiality and the absence of strong facts to support the accusations leveled at Iran," she noted, stressing "Nobody has ever presented any convincing evidence of Iran's violations to the Security Council members."
The Russian official said that the report was not valid, arguing the "self-appointed inspectors" had claimed based on their "personal observations" that what they saw was "roughly reminiscent of what Iran had once demonstrated at arms exhibitions."
Last week, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said in a report to the Security Council that cruise missiles used in attacks on oil facilities and an airport in Saudi Arabia last year were of "Iranian origin."
He also said the "items may have been transferred in a manner inconsistent" with UN Security Council Resolution 2231, which endorses the international nuclear deal – officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) – signed between Iran and major world powers in 2015. The allegations were roundly rejected by Iran's Foreign Ministry.
The ministry said in a statement that the claims appear to have been made under political pressure from the US and Saudi regimes.
"Preparing reports with political motivation will not change the facts and it is clear to all that the current circumstances in the region have directly resulted from the wrong policies of the United States and the child-killing Saudi regime," the statement said.
The ministry highly recommended that the UN Secretariat not play into the hands of the US in its "pre-planned scenario to annul the cancellation of Iran's arms embargo." It also warned the UN against contributing to such a dangerous trend by preparing illegal reports.
Separately, Iran's UN Mission also responded to the report on Friday, saying, "Iran categorically rejects the observations contained in the report concerning the Iranian connection to the export of weapons or their components that are used in attacks on Saudi Arabia and the Iranian origin of alleged US seizures of armaments."
US President Donald Trump withdrew Washington from the JCPOA in 2018 and reinstated Washington's unilateral sanctions against Tehran. His administration has also been piling up pressure on the United Nations to extend and strengthen the embargo on Iran, which is set to expire in October under the nuclear deal.
Washington seeks to restore all Security Council sanctions lifted against Iran if the 15-member body fails to preserve the UN ban on selling conventional arms to Iran.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|