Missile-hit oil tanker Sabiti enters Iran's territorial waters
Iran Press TV
Mon Oct 21, 2019 04:32PM
An Iranian oil tanker that was recently hit by two missiles in a suspicious attack in waters off the Saudi coast in the Red Sea has entered Iran's territorial waters.
According to the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC), the tanker, christened Sabiti, returned home on Monday and will dock in the southern Kharg Island in two days to unload its cargo and undergo technical and security checks.
It added that the vessel would then be taken to the port city of Bandar Abbas to be overhauled at a special yard.
The NITC noted that Iran Shipbuilding and Offshore Industries Complex Co (ISOICO) will do all repairs for the Sabiti.
Iran asks UN to take part in oil tanker probe
Meanwhile, Iran's permanent mission at the United Nations has written a letter to the UN chief, asking the world body's experts to take part in the investigation related to the terrorist attack on the country's oil tanker in the Red Sea.
In its letter, the Islamic Republic has emphasized that the attack on its tanker has been carried out by state-sponsored agents and, therefore, is an act of terrorism.
Iran has noted that it has already launched an investigation into the attack, urging the UN chief, Antonio Guterres, to allow the UN experts to take part in the process of the investigation.
On October 11, the NITC reported that the Sabiti had been hit by two separate explosions near the Saudi port city of Jeddah.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on October 14 that the attack was undoubtedly carried out by a regime with the help of some regional countries.
"Of course, what happened in the Red Sea and our ship was targeted, caused problems and our investigation [into this issue] will be finalized soon. What is certain is that a regime with the help of some regional countries has been behind this and we are conducting a probe to see what has happened," Rouhani said in a press conference with domestic and international media outlets in Tehran.
Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also said last week that the attack on the oil tanker in the Red Sea was a "complicated action" in which "one or more governments" were involved.
"According to information received, the attack on the Iranian tanker has been carried out by one or more governments. Of course, investigations are underway, but as long as we have not reached definitive conclusions, we will not accuse any government," Zarif said.
Meanwhile, the secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council has also said the country will give a harsh response to those behind the attack.
"We will give a response that will make those behind the attack on the Iranian vessel and those seeking to create a new wave of tension in the region regret their act," Ali Shamkhani said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|