Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2016 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Iran unveils five new pieces of defense equipment Press TV 29 Feb 2016 -- Iran has unveiled five new domestically-built pieces of defense equipment during a ceremony attended by top military officials.
- Iran needs 'no permission' to develop missile program: Zarif Press TV 29 Feb 2016 -- Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic will continue to develop its missile program and that Tehran needs “no permission” to enhance the country’s defense capabilities.
- Rohani, Reformist Allies Win Control Of Iran's Powerful Assembly Of Experts RFE/RL 29 Feb 2016 -- Final results from Iranís February 26 elections show relative moderate President Hassan Rohani and his allies winning a majority in the powerful Assembly of Experts and making a strong return to parliament as one of three dominant blocs.
- Iran Vote Likely To Usher In Record Number Of Women RFE/RL 29 Feb 2016 -- Long-beleaguered reformists weren't the only grouping to have gained ground in Iran's February 26 elections.
- Rouhani, Allies Win Majorities in Iranian Elections VOA 29 Feb 2016 -- Iranian hard-liners have been dealt an electoral setback, with moderates winning a majority in the country's top clerical body, the Assembly of Experts, and parliament.
- Final results of Expert Assembly voting in Tehran province IRNA 29 Feb 2016 -- The final results of vote counting in Tehran province for Experts Assembly election was released on Monday.
- Iran's twin elections results announced ISNA 29 Feb 2016 -- The winners of Iran's 5th Assembly of Experts and 10th parliamentary elections have been announced.
- Russia does not refuse to deliver S-300 missile defense: Defense min IRNA 28 Feb 2016 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan said on Sunday that Russian Federation does not refuse to deliver S-300 missile defense system.
- Zarif: No damage to be made in Iran's defense, missile program ISNA 28 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif reiterated that no damage would be made to Iran's missile program, providing parts and required defense equipment.
- Leader thanks nation over elections turnout Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has thanked the Iranian nation for its massive participation in the country's recent twin elections.
- Reformists Make Gains In Iranian Elections RFE/RL 28 Feb 2016 -- Allies of Iran's self-styled moderate President Hassan Rohani have made significant gains in the parliamentary elections, winning all 30 of Tehran's contested seats in parliament, according to the latest results.
- Iran's Supreme Successors RFE/RL 28 Feb 2016 -- The succession question in Iran has come to the fore recently with the election of a new Assembly of Experts, the 88-member chamber of (male) theologians who pick and nominally oversee the work of the country's supreme leader. Speculation mounted about potential successors to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei after the 76-year-old ayatollah underwent prostate surgery in 2014, and rumors about his health continue to circulate.
- Khamenei Praises Iran Vote, Urges Focus on National Interests VOA 28 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called on those elected to parliament and the important Assembly of Experts to act in the interests of Iran and stand against the influence of outsiders.
- President hails people's broad participation in elections IRNA 27 Feb 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani praised the nation's exceptional turnout of in the elections and said their massive participation created very glamorous and spectacular scenes.
- Iran Navy plans to hold joint military drills with India ISNA 27 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Navy chief said the Islamic Republic plans to hold joint military drills with India.
- Time for unity, interaction following elections: Rafsanjani Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- Chairman of Iran's Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has commended the massive turnout in the country's vital double elections, calling for further unity and interaction following the Friday votes.
- Rohani, Rafsanjani Leading In Iran's Assembly of Experts Race RFE/RL 27 Feb 2016 -- Preliminary results from Iran's vote for the Assembly of Experts show President Hassan Rohani, a self-proclaimed moderate, and his ally, the pragmatic former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani,are leading in Tehran.
- Iranians Vote for First Time Since Nuclear Agreement VOA 26 Feb 2016 -- Iranians are casting their ballots Friday for the first time since the country's nuclear deal with world powers took effect. The vote may provide the first clue as to whether key Western proponents of the deal will receive what they hoped for: a more open, moderate Iran.
- Iran Vote: Conservative Win Unlikely to Threaten Nuclear, Trade Deals VOA 26 Feb 2016 -- Election hours in Iran were extended Friday in a vote for a new parliament and Assembly of Experts, the first test of public opinion since Iran signed onto an international nuclear deal. Careful vetting of candidates by religious authorities means reformists are unlikely to realize the win that President Hassan Rouhani had hoped for. What, then, is the fate of the nuclear deal and the president's efforts to open the economy?
- Leader urges all who love Iran to take part in elections IRNA 26 Feb 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Friday that current election is of prime importance and any Iranian who loves their country should go to the polling stations and cast their ballots as the elections bring the country glory and dignity.
- Iran JCPOA implementation satisfies IAEA Press TV 26 Feb 2016 -- The UN nuclear agency has verified Iran's commitment to its nuclear agreement, dubbed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), with the P5+1 group of countries.
- Iranians Vote In First Election Since Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 26 Feb 2016 -- Iranians are voting in nationwide elections that pit reformist allies of President Hassan Rohani against conservative opponents hard on the heels of the nuclear deal ending sanctions on Iran.
- Iran Navy plans to hold joint military drills with India Press TV 25 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Navy chief says the Islamic Republic plans to hold joint military drills with India.
- Iran's Hard-Liners Accuse Britain Of Backing Moderates In Upcoming Vote RFE/RL 24 Feb 2016 -- Iranian hard-liners are trying to undermine their moderate opponents ahead of the February 26 parliamentary elections by alleging that their list of candidates is supported by Great Britain.
- Enemy failed in plots against Iran: Ayatollah Khamenei ISNA 24 Feb 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said enemy has failed to prevent the Iranian people's allegiance to the Islamic establishment through pressure over the past 37 years.
- The upcoming elections in Iran ISNA 24 Feb 2016 -- The Iranian people will go to the polls on Friday to elect jurisprudential experts for the fifth term of the Assembly of Expert as well as representatives for the 10th parliament.
- Iran sees new oil deals of up to $15 billion ISNA 24 Feb 2016 -- Iran is expecting to sign $10-15 billion of oil deals within a year under a new contract model which is undergoing modifications, head of the top state oil company NIOC said.
- For Iran's Reformists, Getting To The Polls Is Half The Battle RFE/RL 23 Feb 2016 -- Kazem has vowed, via a social network that's not blocked to him and his fellow Iranians, not to vote in this week's elections.
- IRGC set to launch rotary-wing segment: Senior commander Press TV 22 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is introducing a helicopter segment, says a senior military commander.
- Iran, Russia Negotiating 'Next Generation' S-300 Missile Systems' Supplies Sputnik 22 Feb 2016 -- Iran is discussing with Russia military supplies, including S-300 'new generation' missile systems, spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Ansari-Jaberi said.
- Saudi Arabia puts 32 Shias on trial over 'spying for Iran' Press TV 22 Feb 2016 -- A group of 32 Shia Muslims, including an Iranian national, has been put on trial in Saudi Arabia over charges of spying for Iran.
- Russia-Iran defense ministers to mull closer cooperation IRNA 21 Feb 2016 -- Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu is to confer with Iranian Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan on expansion of mutual cooperation, it was announced on Sunday.
- US, Britain meddling in Iran elections disgraceful: Cmdr. ISNA 21 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander said meddling by the US and Britain in Iran's upcoming elections, including campaigning for or against a particular candidate, is a "disgraceful and insulting" move and a violation of the Islamic Republic's independence and national sovereignty.
- Russia's defense minister arrives in Iran for talks Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu has arrived in Tehran to hold talks with senior Iranian officials on the latest regional developments and ways to promote defense and military cooperation.
- Iran to Test Domestically Manufactured Missiles Within Month Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The chief of staff of the Iranian Armed Forces said that Tehran will missiles test within a month.
- Support of Russia, Iran Key to Success of Syrian Army Advance - Assad Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The support from Russia and Iran has contributed a lot to the progress of Syria's army, Syrian President Bashar Assad said.
- Iranians will follow guidelines of Leader to take part in elections IRNA 20 Feb 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that all regional countries have a close watch on Iran's February 26 elections and that Iranian nation will absolutely follow guidelines of the Supreme Leader about taking part in elections on February 26.
- Iran oil exports to rise by 500K barrels in current month: Official Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- An official at the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) says Iran will increase its crude oil exports by 500,000 barrels per day (bpd) during the current month.
- Syria no-fly zone, repeat blunder, says Iran diplomat Press TV 19 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian official has criticized Germany-backed Turkish initiative for a no-fly zone in Syria, saying such a measure would be the continuation of previous mistakes.
- Supreme Leader: People will disappoint enemies in the upcoming elections IRNA 17 Feb 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday that the vigilant Iranian people once again will disappoint the enemies through mass participation in the upcoming elections.
- Russia to deliver S-300 missile system to Iran Thursday: Sputnik Press TV 17 Feb 2016 -- Russia will reportedly hand over the first batch of the S-300 surface-to-air defense missile system to Iran on Thursday.
- US Wants to Present Iran's Upcoming Elections as Illegitimate - Iran Leader Sputnik 17 Feb 2016 -- The United States wants to call into question the decisions soon to be made by the Iranian Guardian Council, a clerical body that oversees elections and legislation in the country, Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, said Wednesday.
- Safe Skies: Russia to Send First S-300 Air Defense System to Iran Thursday Sputnik 17 Feb 2016 -- Russian will hand over the first S-300 air defense system to Iran on Thursday, February 18.
- Russia, Iran to Sign Contract on Delivering Su-30SM Fighters in 2016 Sputnik 17 Feb 2016 -- Moscow and Tehran will sign o contract on the delivery of Su-30SM multirole fighters to Iran this year.
- Iran Rejects Oil Production Cap VOA 17 Feb 2016 -- Iran rejected appeals Wednesday from other oil-producing states to curb its oil exports to try to end the plunge in world crude oil prices, instead saying it intends to increase production.
- Iran in full compliance with nuclear agreement: Samantha Power Press TV 16 Feb 2016 -- The US ambassador to the United Nations says that compliance of Iran with the nuclear agreement has been strong, but still calls Tehran a threat to the security of the Middle East region.
- Iran Vows to Continue Military High-Tech Cooperation With Russia Sputnik 16 Feb 2016 -- Iran will continue military-technical cooperation with Russia with focus on high-tech equipment allowing Iran to maintain superiority and to stave off regional and global threats, Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan said Tuesday.
- IRGC to conduct missile drills soon: Senior commander Press TV 15 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian military commander says the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is preparing to conduct a missile maneuver in the near future.
- Moscow to deliver S-300 missile system to Iran in 'nearest time' Press TV 15 Feb 2016 -- Russia will deliver the S-300 surface-to-air missile defense systems to Iran in "the nearest time" as part of a long-running contract between Tehran and Moscow, the country's Foreign Ministry says.
- Iran Considers Importing Russian T-90 Tank Production Technology Sputnik 15 Feb 2016 -- Iran plans to import Russian technology to produce an analogue of the Russian T-90 tank, according to the Lieutenant of the Iranian Ground Forces.
- Russia to Deliver S-300 Air Defense Systems to Iran Soon Sputnik 15 Feb 2016 -- Russia will soon send S-300 air defense systems to Iran while the countries have not held any negotiations on the possibility of delivering S-400 systems.
- Sending troops to Syria detrimental in absence of gov't request IRNA 14 Feb 2016 -- Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani said Sunday that dispatching troops to Syria without request of Syrian government will escalate crisis and further complicate the situation.
- Iran will defend Syria's airspace if Damascus requests Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian air force commander says Iran is prepared to defend Syria's airspace if Damascus calls for it.
- Iran aims for fierce nuclear market rivalry Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Iran said on Sunday that it has started marketing for its nuclear energy products including heavy water, stressing that it plans to make its products more competitive with international rivals.
- Iran's defense minister due in Russia for military talks Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan is to visit Russia to discuss ways to boost defense and military cooperation between the two countries.
- US Praises Albania for MEK Resettlement VOA 14 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has used a visit to Albania to thank the government for resettling members of an Iranian opposition group known as the Mujahedin e Khalq, or MEK.
- Zarif: Syrians themselves must take decision of Assad's presidency IRNA 13 Feb 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Saturday that taking any decision on the future of President Bashar Assad lies with the Syrian nation themselves.
- Zero-sum policy in region to result in total loss: Iran FM ISNA 13 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said a "zero-sum perspective" on regional issues will result in "total loss."
- Commander: Iran determining power in talks on regional developments IRNA 11 Feb 2016 -- Deputy Commander of Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Hossein Salami said that there is no negotiating table for solving regional issues not attended by Iran as an effective power.
- Iran F-14 fighter jets to be equipped with Nasr missiles: Cmdr. Press TV 11 Feb 2016 -- IRIAF Deputy Commander for Coordination Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh said on Thursday that the air-launched cruise missiles will be mounted on the fighter jets soon.
- U.S. Lawmakers Object To Loosening Visa Rules For Some Iranians RFE/RL 11 Feb 2016 -- The Obama administration's plan to loosen tough new visa requirements for businessmen and journalists who travel to Iran has touched off strong resistance in Congress.
- Commander: Nasr missiles mounted on Iran's F-14 fighter jets IRNA 11 Feb 2016 -- The Iranian Air Force Deputy Commander Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh announced that the country's F-14 Tomcat fighter jets have been equipped with air-launched Nasr cruise missiles.
- U.S. Official: Iran Has Kept Commitments On Nuclear Deal So Far RFE/RL 11 Feb 2016 -- A senior U.S. official says Iran so far has kept its commitments under the nuclear agreement with world powers implemented last month.
- Iran Air Force equipped with Nasr cruise missiles ISNA 10 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Defense Ministry has delivered the first batch of a newly developed air-launched cruise missile, dubbed Nasr (Victory), to the country's Air Force.
- Guardian Council confirms former decision rejecting Imam's grandson IRNA 10 Feb 2016 -- The Guardian Council on Wednesday confirmed former decision to reject competence of grandson of late Imam Khomeini to run for the Guardian Council election saying he would have taken exam for religious jurisprudent.
- Iran to receive 1st batch of Russian S-300 system by 1st quarter of 2016: Dehqan Press TV 10 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the country will take delivery of the first batch of Russian-made S-300 surface-to-air missile defense system in the first quarter of 2016.
- Saudi troops in Syria very dangerous: Iran official ISNA 09 Feb 2016 -- Iran's top security official warned that a potential troop deployment by regional countries to Syria would be a "very dangerous" decision.
- Iran moving towards building small N. power plants ISNA 09 Feb 2016 -- Iran is moving towards building small nuclear power plants, said Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi.
- Iran Air Force equipped with Nasr cruise missiles Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Defense Ministry has delivered the first batch of a newly developed air-launched cruise missile, dubbed Nasr (Victory), to the country's Air Force.
- Iranian Professors Sound Alarm Over 'Mass Disqualifications' In Upcoming Vote RFE/RL 09 Feb 2016 -- About 300 professors at universities across Iran have expressed their 'growing concern' over the 'mass disqualifications' of candidates in February 26 voting for the parliament and the Assembly of Experts, which could choose the country's future supreme leader.
- Foreign ground intervention to intensify Syria crisis: Iran Press TV 08 Feb 2016 -- Iran has warned against any foreign ground incursion in Syria without the approval of the Syrian government, saying the move would only intensify the crisis in the conflict-stricken country.
- Enemies failed in plots against Iran: Leader ISNA 08 Feb 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said the top world powers have opposed the Islamic Republic since its inception but have failed to achieve any of their objectives.
- Iran General: Saudi Arabia Should Stay Out of Syria Fight Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia's call to send its ground troops to aid the coalition against Daesh - also known as ISIS - in Syria has received ridicule from the commander of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard.
- Saudi troops deployment in Syria political joke: Iranian commander Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says Saudi Arabia's plan for the deployment of ground troops to Syria sounds more like a "political joke."
- Post-Sanctions Iran set to buy 2 telcom satellites: Minister ISNA 07 Feb 2016 -- Minister of Communications and Information Technology Mahmoud Vaezi said that following removal of sanctions, Iran has been in serious negotiations with foreign firms in the last three weeks.
- Iran Reverses Ban On 1,500 Election Candidates RFE/RL 06 Feb 2016 -- Iran's constitutional watchdog, the hard-line Guardians Council, has reversed a ban on 1,500 candidates who had registered to run in the February 26 parliamentary elections.
- Saudi defeat in Syria definite: Iran's IRGC chief Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- A top Iranian military commander says a 'definite' defeat awaits Saudi Arabia if it sends troops to Syria.
- Iran's policy is based on not sending forces to Resistance Front, says IRGC Cmdr. ISNA 06 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian military official said that the country's policy is based on not sending forces to Resistance Front.
- Iran currently exporting 300,000 bpd of oil to Europe: Zangeneh Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Oil Minister Bijan Zangeneh says the country is currently exporting 300,000 barrels per day of crude oil to European countries and the figure will rise when new contracts are signed with European oil majors.
- Iran eyes 1.8-billion-euro oil refinery in Spain: Report Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Iran has announced a plan to build a 1.8-billion-euro oil refinery in Spain as recent sanctions relief allows Tehran to resume oil delivery to Europe, Spain's foreign minister has said.
- Syria crisis must be solved through dialogue: Iran official Press TV 05 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian official has ruled out any "military solution" to the crisis in Syria and said all Syrian sides should stick to dialogue to end violence gripping the Arab country.
- Iran to enhance missile capabilities despite resolutions: Army cmdr. Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Commander of Iran's Army Major General Ataollah Salehi says the country will enhance its missile capabilities despite US-led efforts to curb them.
- Iran Seeks to Buy New Russian Weapons - Adviser to Supreme Leader Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Iran wishes to acquire new Russian weapons, and the defense cooperation between the two countries is developing, adviser to Iran's supreme leader Ali Akbar Velayati said Thursday.
- Iran to Continue Development of Missile Program - Armed Forces Commander Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Armed Forces Commander said that Iran will continue to develop its missile program since it does not violate the agreement on the country's nuclear program.
- Why Does Saudi Arabia Consider Iran So Great a Threat? VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- 'Business is always good here," store clerk Mohammad Ali said, pointing to the rows of clothing in his shop in the Saudi capital.
- US House passes bill restricting removal of Iran sanctions Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- The US House of Representatives has approved a bill aimed at hindering the implementation of Iran's historical nuclear agreement with the P5+1 group of countries.
- JCPOA aimed at lifting enemy-imposed 'siege' on Iran: Rouhani Press TV 02 Feb 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the main objective that Tehran was pursuing in signing the nuclear agreement with the P5+1 group of countries was to lift "the siege" that 'ill-wishers' had imposed on the Islamic Republic.
- U.S. Judge Challenges Move To Drop Charges In Prisoner Deal With Iran RFE/RL 02 Feb 2016 -- A U.S. judge is challenging the government's move to drop charges against an Iranian man accused of sanctions violations as part of a U.S. prisoner swap agreement with Iran last month.
- Iranian official cautions UN over terrorists' presence in Syria talks ISNA 01 Feb 2016 -- An Iranian official has cautioned the UN over terrorists trying to take advantage of Syria peace talks underway in Switzerland.
- JCPOA springboard for Iran progress: Salehi Press TV 01 Feb 2016 -- The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) has hailed the implementation of the historic nuclear agreement between Tehran and the P5+1 group of countries as a "springboard" for the further development of the Islamic Republic.
- Govt.: Iran's $100 billion 'fully released' Press TV 01 Feb 2016 -- The government says Iran can now access more than $100 billion in frozen assets after the implementation of a nuclear agreement last month.
- Iran Gets Access to Frozen $100Bln in Assets After Sanctions Relief Sputnik 01 Feb 2016 -- Iran can now access the previously frozen $100 billion of its assets over two weeks after implementing a landmark nuclear program deal, government spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht told national media.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list