Head of AEOI voices optimism about nuclear deal
Iran Press TV
Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:4PM
The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) has expressed optimism about the signing of a deal between Iran and the P5+1 group on the Islamic Republic's nuclear program.
Ali Akbar Salehi said on Thursday that he is 'optimistic' about reaching a nuclear deal despite efforts by certain sides to hamper the resolution of Iran's nuclear program.
'On the whole I am optimistic... but internationally those who have an interest in more troubles and not dealing with this question have not been inactive. They are trying to make sure there is no deal,' Salehi added.
Salehi, who was speaking on the sidelines of intense talks between Iran and the US in the Swiss of Lausanne, said the concerns about the Iranian nuclear program are 'fictitious,' adding Tehran is ready to allay them within the framework of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
'To answer the fictitious concerns of the other side we have declared that we are ready for measures within the rules of the [International Atomic Energy] Agency (IAEA) so that these worries are assuaged,' Salehi said.
'The Islamic Republic of Iran has demonstrated its political will and it is up to the other side to take a step forward and show that it has the political will to allow a resolution of the problem,' the head of the AEOI stressed.
Salehi further noted that there are technical, legal and political issues which have to fit together for reaching an agreement.
There remains 'work to do and there needs to be answers on certain issues that haven't been clear until now,' Salehi said, adding, "Everything is linked. On the technical questions we have come closer together towards a common understanding, but there remains a lot of work to do.'
The remarks by Salehi come as Iranian and US diplomacy chiefs on Thursday kicked off a fresh round of talks in Lausanne as part of broader negotiations between Iran and six world powers aimed at clinching a final deal over Tehran's nuclear program.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his negotiating team had held intense marathon talks with the American side in Lausanne the previous week when the top Iranian diplomat also took some time to meet one-on-one in the Belgian capital of Brussels with the European foreign ministers of the P5+1 group - Frank-Walter Steinmeier of Germany, Philip Hammond of Britain and France's Laurent Fabius. Zarif also sat down with EU foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, in Brussels.
Nevertheless, the days-long negotiations last week were suspended on March 20 as members of the P5+1 group - the US, France, Britain, Russia and China plus Germany - needed a short hiatus in the talks for further coordination among themselves.
Meanwhile, senior Iranian negotiator Abbas Araqchi also confirmed the suspension of the talks, saying the P5+1 group were to have "more consultation and coordination."
Tehran and the six world powers have been in talks to resolve outstanding issues surrounding Iran's peaceful atomic work to pave the way for striking an overarching deal on the country's nuclear program.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|