Iran set to continue enrichment regardless of new UN sanctions
22/01/2008 16:00 TEHRAN, January 22 (RIA Novosti) - Iran will continue uranium enrichment even if the UN Security Council adopts yet another resolution against the country, an Iranian government spokesman said on Tuesday.
Later today, foreign ministers from six nations (permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany) are to meet in Berlin to consider a UN Security Council draft resolution on sanctions against Iran.
Gholam Hossein Elham told reporters that Iran has legitimate rights in the nuclear sphere, while "the possible adoption of a new resolution will have no impact on our policies."
He said "there are no legal grounds" for transferring Iran's "nuclear case" to the UN Security Council.
Iran reiterated on Monday that it would continue constructive cooperation with the international nuclear watchdog.
"Certain countries would like to undermine the authority of the [International Atomic Energy] Agency, which has not recorded any deviations from Iran's peaceful nuclear activity," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said.
Two sets of UN Security Council sanctions are currently in place against Tehran over its refusal to halt uranium enrichment. Further rounds of more stringent sanctions have so far been blocked by China and Russia.
Moscow has said it is determined to resolve the problem through political and diplomatic means and stressed the significance of coordinated action in the six-nation format.
Despite Western suspicions of an atomic weapons program, Iran insists that its nuclear work has purely peaceful goals, and has pledged to clear up all remaining questions over the program by late February.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|