Iran says will continue uranium enrichment activity
05/08/2007 14:54 TEHRAN, August 5 (RIA Novosti) - Iran does not intend to suspend its uranium enrichment program, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said Sunday.
Iran has been at the center of international concerns over its nuclear program, which some countries, particularly the United States, suspect is geared toward nuclear weapons development. Tehran has consistently denied the claims, saying it needs nuclear power for civilian purposes.
"We have said on many occasions that Iran's nuclear activities continue as planned and scheduled," Hosseini said.
The Iranian diplomat also said that the suspension of uranium enrichment was unacceptable for Iran and was completely ruled out.
Iran has come under pressure for rejecting three consecutive UN resolutions against its nuclear program since last year. The six countries negotiating the dispute - the UN Security Council permanent members plus Germany - have demanded that Tehran suspend all uranium enrichment before negotiating a solution to the nuclear program.
Iran insists that it needs nuclear power purely to generate electricity. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced early April the start of uranium enrichment on an industrial level.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|