The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)

Iran not worried of being referred to Security Council

IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency

Riyadh, Aug 11, IRNA
Iran-Nuclear-UNSC
Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hamid-Reza Asefi said in an interview published in Friday edition of Saudi daily Al-Ukadh, "Iran is not worried lest its nuclear dossier would be referred to UN Security Council.

Stressing that Iran always respects its international commitments, Asefi said, "The UN Security Council will not be the end of the world for Iran."
The Foreign Ministry spokesman added, "Iran's peaceful nuclear activity is a national concern and any decision related to it is adopted by the country's highest ranking officials."
Pointing out that Iran would at no cost abandon its nation's right to take peaceful advantage of nuclear energy, Asefi focused on Iran's rejection of the EU3 proposal (Germany, France and Britain), arguing, "Iran rejected that proposal since it was politically motivated and not legally justified."
Considering the acceptance of the EU proposal an insult against the Iranian nation and a move against the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), he said, "We rejected the EU proposal since we considered it insulting against our independence and sovereignty, as well as a blot on the prestige of the IAEA."
Asked about the high uranium pollution of some centrifuge facilities at Isfahan UCF nuclear complex, the Foreign Ministry spokesman said, "The IAEA has confirmed that that pollution had foreign origin and that is mentioned in their annual report." On continuation of Iran's negotiations with the EU, Asefi said, "We are is still ready to continue our negotiations with the EU, but these talks must proceed without any preconditions, such as halting the Isfahan UCF activities."
Rejecting the Western countries accusations, and particularly the US claims that Iran's nuclear activities are not of a peaceful nature, he said, "Iran is an n-NPT member and that treaty forbids taking military advantage of the nuclear power for its members."
Asefi concluded his remarks arguing, "In addition to that, Iran has signed NPT's additional protocol, enabling the IAEA inspectors to visit its nuclear facilities unexpectedly."
Iran's resuming of its uranium ore conversion at a facility near Isfahan due to EU3's obvious violations of its commitments towards Iran, and their delayed presentation of an insulting, unacceptable proposal on behalf of the EU has led to strong verbal Western reactions and Iran's rightful defiance.

The step ended a nine-month freeze agreed during talks with Britain, France and Germany -- who have been trying to convince Iran to abandon atomic energy technology that could also provide it with the capability to build a bomb.

But President Ahmadinejad's candidate for Foreign Minister, Manouchehr Mottaki told the student news agency ISNA that "Iran's transparent, logical and legal handling (should) convince the European side to join negotiations."
A similar warning was made by the deputy head of Iran's Atomic nergy Organization, Mohammad Saeidi.

"The rougher and faster these countries make the game, the more decisive we become to operate the rest of our nuclear facilities," he told ISNA.

But Iran has so far maintained its suspension of uranium enrichment at its Natanz facility.

The International Atomic Energy Agency has called on Iran to halt all nuclear fuel cycle work and the UN watchdog is to report September 3 on Tehran's compliance with international safeguards.

Iran has refused to backtrack, despite the risk of being referred to the UN Security Council.

"Legally the IAEA is not in a position to talk about a violation," Saeidi said, calling on the Europeans to deal with Iran's nuclear issue "logically and not to jeopardize and agitate the region." "Despite the possibility of another resolution in the September session of the (IAEA) board of governors to call on Iran for ore-suspension of the Isfahan installations, we will definitely not accept such a call," he said.

Russia meanwhile cautioned the United States against considering the use of force to contain Iran's nuclear programs, saying this would be "dangerous" and unleash "serious consequences."
"We consider that it would be counter-productive and dangerous to use force, the serious consequences of which would be barely predictable," the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement clearly aimed at US President George W. Bush's recent assertion that force is an option.

The statement urged that the crisis over Iran's insistence on producing its own nuclear fuel be resolved "exclusively through expert consultations and diplomatic negotiations."
The Russian position echoes a call by German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder over the weekend for military force to be ruled out as an option in Iran, saying it was "extremely dangerous."
On Friday, Bush refused to rule out military action, saying: "All options are on the table."
Russia is building a nuclear power station in Iran and is to supply the plant's nuclear fuel, but says it does want Iran to develop any military capability.

2329/1414



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list