The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)

Iran's envoy: Iran not to abandon right to nuclear power

IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency

Vienna, Aug 11, IRNA
Iran-Ambassador-IAEA
Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Envoy to International Organizations located in Vienna Mohammad-Mehdi Akhoundzadeh repeated once more right of all countries, including Iran, to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, adding, "Iran would never ignore its right."
Talking with IRNA here Wednesday, the official said, "In the resolutions, and the final declaration of the emergency meeting of IAEA the issue must be specified clearly."
He added, "Iran's decision in suspending nuclear activities and enrichment of Uranium was voluntarily and aimed at confidence building and such good will should not be a base for legal measure or creating expectations beyond laws for some countries."
The Iranian senior official said, "Iran's good will and cooperation should instead draw the attention of western countries to the fact that they can not ignore Iran's rights."
Of course, we would not forget the threat of sending Iran's dossier to the UN Security Council by the US and Canada, which still exists, he said
Concerning his prediction about the results of IAEA emergency meeting, Akhoundzadeh said, "My prediction is the IAEA would by a 60 percent chance issuing a resolution and by 40 percent chance issue a declaration, but not refer the dossier to the UNSC."
The objective of those countries who called for holding the emergency meeting of the IAEA Board of Governors has been stopping Isfahan UCF plant's activities, though this intention has no legal basis and it is contradictory to the nature of IAEA regulations, ncluding the nuclear-NPT," Akhoundzadeh added.

The Iranian diplomat said, "Proposing to hold such a meeting is a political issue, and to solve a political issue, a political solution should be found."
Referring to seal removal of Isfahan UCF plant, Akhoundzadeh said, the western countries do not consider the action positive, but this is a completely natural measure after a long period of patience and Iran hopes to continue its negotiations with EU.

Iran's envoy to IAEA also emphasized, " Iran is not persuading an adventurist policy and desire to preserve global peace and stability, egional security and economic activities.

1391/2329/1414



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list