Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2000 - Iran Special Weapons News
- IRAN CRACKDOWN Voice of America 26 April 2000 -- Iran's Press Court has issued a warning to the brother of President Mohammed Khatami, whose newspaper remains among the few reformist publications to escape a press ban.
- Text: Human Rights Watch Protests Media Crackdown, Detentions in Iran 25 April 2000 -- Human Rights Watch, a prominent rights organization, sent a letter on April 25 to Iran's top judicial authority to condemn "the escalating harassment, intimidation and punishment of the country's independent journalists and publishers."
- IRAN / PRESS CRACKDOWN Voice of America 25 April 2000 -- After closing 14 newspapers and journals in two days, judiciary officials later lifted a ban on the daily Sobh-e-Emruz newspaper late Monday.
- IRAN / CRACKDOWN Voice of America 24 April 2000 -- The Iranian government has suspended 12
reformist publications in its crackdown against the media.
- Text: Letter of Protest to Iranian President 24 April 2000 -- A prominent journalistic organization sent a letter of protest to the supreme leader of Iran in response to the latest crackdown on press freedom in that country.
- RFE/RL Iran Report, Volume 3, Number 16 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 24 April 2000 -- JANGALI MOVEMENT REVIVED / TEHRAN RECOUNT TO RESUME / UNREST IN NORTHWEST / IS VIOLENCE NATURAL? / CRY HAVOC / ANOTHER ARREST IN HAJJARIAN CASE / JUDICIARY CHANGES CONTINUE / TEHRAN CONSIDERS PRO-CHECHNYA MARCH
- IRAN/PRESS CRACKDOWN Voice of America 23 April 2000 -- Iran's conservative-run press court has closed at least three pro-reform and liberal newspapers - as part of a growing crackdown on growing media freedoms under reformist President Mohamad Khatami.
- RFE/RL Iran Report, Volume 3, Number 15 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 17 April 2000 -- JEWS' SPY TRIAL STARTS WITH 'CONFESSIONS.' / GUARDIANS COUNCIL DEFENDS VOTE CANCELLATIONS / SOME SENIOR CLERICS STAND BY PRINCIPLES / IRAQI OIL SEIZURES PART OF PLAN TO DOMINATE PERSIAN GULF / CZECH PARLIAMENT BANS BUSHEHR DEAL / JAPANESE ARMS SUPPLIERS SENTENCED / NORWAY EYES IRANIAN MARKET / SOME HOPE FOR GAS SECTOR
- THE U.S. AND IRAN Voice of America 08 April 2000 -- The recent stunning victory of Islamic reformists in Iran's parliamentary elections has led many to
believe that the time is right for a rapprochement between the United States and Iran.
- RFE/RL Iran Report, Volume 3, Number 14 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 3 April 2000 -- NO ACCORD ON ALBRIGHT SPEECH / THE LONE GUNMEN / MOIS CHIEF ON REFORMS AND SERIAL MURDERS / CHANGES IN JUDICIARY... / ...ARE INCOMPLETE / IRANIANS WITHOUT FRONTIERS / UPROAR OVER IRANIAN STUDENTS IN RUSSIA
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list