Meeting of Prime Minister with the President of Iran on the sidelines of the SCO Summit
India - Press Information Bureau
Prime Minister's Office
Posted On: 16 SEP 2022 11:02PM by PIB Delhi
1. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and President of the Islamic Republic of Iran H.E. Mr. Ebrahim Raisi met in Samarkand, Uzbekistan on the sidelines of the 22nd meeting of the Council of Heads of State of the SCO. This was the first meeting between the Prime Minister and President Raisi since President Raisi's assumption of office in 2021.
2. During the meeting the two leaders discussed many important issues pertaining to the bilateral relationship, and expressed their desire for strengthening the relationship further. Prime Minister highlighted that India- Iran bilateral ties are marked by historic and civilizational connections, including strong people to people contacts.
3. The two leaders reviewed the progress in the development of the Shahid Behesti terminal, Chabahar Port and underscored the importance of bilateral cooperation in the field of regional connectivity.
4. The two leaders also discussed international and regional developments including Afghanistan. Prime Minister reiterated India's priorities of providing humanitarian assistance to the people of Afghanistan and the need for a representative and inclusive political dispensation in support of a peaceful, stable and secure Afghanistan.
5. President Raisi briefed the Prime Minister on the status of the JCPOA negotiations.
6. Prime Minister extended an invitation to President Raisi to visit India at his earliest convenience.
September 16, 2022
(Release ID: 1859962)
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|