Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2018 - India Special Weapons News
- India, Seychelles Revive Talks on Naval Base at Assumption Island Sputnik 25 Jun 2018 -- Seychelles President Danny Faure had recently announced that his government would not present the $500 million Assumption Island agreement for ratification to their Parliament, dealing a blow to India's maritime aspirations in the Indian Ocean region.
- India and Pakistan Continue to Increase Nuclear Weapons Stockpiles – Report Sputnik 20 Jun 2018 -- The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute's (SIPRI) annual report on the current state of armaments, disarmament and international security notes that despite the overall decrease in global nuclear weapons year-on-year, India and Pakistan are doing the opposite.
- India Plans Grand Welcome to Seychelles President Despite Spat Over Naval Base Sputnik 20 Jun 2018 -- Indian opposition parties have been targeting the Narendra Modi government over its foreign policy failure in the strategically crucial Indian Ocean Region after Seychelles unilaterally called off a deal regarding the establishment of an Indian naval base on Assumption Island.
- India to resume military operations in Kashmir Press TV 17 Jun 2018 -- India will resume military operations against armed groups in disputed Kashmir following the end of a rare 30-day suspension for Ramadan.
- UN Official Calls for Probe of Kashmir Human Rights Abuses VOA 14 Jun 2018 -- The U.N. human rights chief is calling for an international inquiry into alleged human rights abuses in Kashmir.
- UN rights chief calls for international inquiry into Kashmir violations UN News 14 Jun 2018 -- Decades of rights violations on both sides of the Line of Control in Kashmir have "claimed or ruined numerous lives" and should be the subject of a high-level international probe, the UN's human rights chief said on Thursday.
- UN Rights Chief Laments Kashmir's 'Untold Suffering,' Calls For Probe Into Abuses RFE/RL 14 Jun 2018 -- The UN human rights chief has called for an international investigation into possible rights violations in Kashmir, the disputed region divided between India and Pakistan.
- UN rights chief calls for international probe into Kashmir rights violations Press TV 14 Jun 2018 -- The UN Human Rights chief has called for an international investigation into abuses in Kashmir after his office in a report accused both India and Pakistan of rights violations in the disputed Himalayan valley.
- US approves $930 million deal to sell six Apache helicopters to India Press TV 13 Jun 2018 -- The United States has approved a $930 million deal to sell six AH-64E Apache attack helicopters to the Indian military, according to the State Department and the Pentagon.
- 'Opposite Sides': Pakistan, India Ex-Spy Chiefs Lift Lid On Deadly Rivalry RFE/RL 12 Jun 2018 -- Pakistan and India have fought four bloody wars since their creation in 1947, and continue to engage in daily clashes in the divided Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- India – Support for Direct Commercial Sale of AH-64E Apache Helicopters DSCA 12 Jun 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to India of items in support of a proposed direct commercial sale of six (6) AH-64E Apache helicopters for an estimated cost of $930 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- 'Evasive Measures': Indian Ships En Route to US Exercises Tailed by Chinese Navy Sputnik 12 Jun 2018 -- As ships from the Indian Navy traveled to Guam last week for exercises with the US Navy and Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force, Chinese vessels shadowed and tailed the Indian ships, forcing them to take "evasive measures," sources informed India Today.
- US urges India to ditch Russian missiles for American ones Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- The United States is urging India to reconsider its plan to purchase advanced missiles from Russia and instead switch to American systems, touting the "strategic importance" of the relationship between Washington and New Delhi.
- US Wants India to Steer Clear of Russian Weapons - Reports Sputnik 09 Jun 2018 -- US diplomats reportedly seek to persuade India to not purchase Russian-made weapon systems in favor of hardware produced by the American military-industrial complex.
- Fund Crisis Involving India's Strategically Crucial Space Programs Disappears Sputnik 07 Jun 2018 -- The $1.6 billion fund approved by the Indian government will help the Indian space agency go ahead with the planned launch of 40 rockets in the next four years while making the country not only self-reliant but also a major global competitor in the launching of foreign satellites of the 4-ton category.
- U.S., Indian and Japanese maritime forces to participate in exercise Malabar 2018 NNS 07 Jun 2018 -- Naval ships, aircraft and personnel from India, Japan and the United States will participate in exercise Malabar 2018, June 7 through 16 off the coast of Guam.
- India-Russia Defense Ties Unhindered by US Sanctions - Indian Defense Minister Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- Indian Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has said that since most of India's military assets are sourced from Russia and many more purchase deals are in the pipeline, the US sanctions against Russia would not be impacting "this particular characteristic of India-Russia defense cooperation."
- Pilot Killed in Indian Air Force Jet Crash Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- A fighter jet of the Indian Air Force crashed in western India, the pilot died in the accident, Defense Spokesperson Lt. Col. Manish Ojha said Tuesday in a statement.
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange cross-border fire in Kashmir after short truce Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Indian and Pakistani forces have once again traded deadly fire at the disputed Kashmiri border following a brief period of calm there.
- India Conducts Successful Test of Agni-V Nuclear-Capable Missile Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- India successfully conducted a test launch of the Agni-V nuclear-capable ballistic missile on Sunday morning from a launch pad at the Integrated Test Range (ITR) on Abdul Kalam Island, the Odisha Sun Times reported.
- India to buy anti-tank missiles from Israel Press TV 02 Jun 2018 -- India is reportedly set to buy a batch of anti-tank guided missiles from Israel in a bid to boost its military capabilities against arch-rival Pakistan.
- Eyeing China, India's PM Calls for Indo-Pacific 'Rule-Based Order' VOA 01 Jun 2018 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered a thinly veiled criticism of China, even while insisting on closer relations with Beijing, during a speech Friday in Singapore.
- India and Singapore Sign Logistic Cooperation Agreement Sputnik 01 Jun 2018 -- India and Singapore have reaffirmed their views on maritime security and have expressed a commitment to a rules-based order. The leaders of both countries have also agreed on the need to maintain an open, stable and fair international trade regime.
- India Will Continue to Stick to S-400 Deal Despite US Opposition – Reports Sputnik 01 Jun 2018 -- The chairman of the US House Armed Services Committee, William Thornberry, has warned that India's decision to purchase S-400 missile systems from Russia would ride roughshod over New Delhi-Washington cooperation.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list