Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2018 - India Special Weapons News
- China's Xi, India's Modi agree to expand bilateral military communication Press TV 28 Apr 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi have agreed on expanding communication between their militaries in efforts to maintain peace at the frontier, Indian foreign secretary said.
- Indian Air Force Chief Lauds China's Air Defenses in World's Toughest Terrain Sputnik 27 Apr 2018 -- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has acknowledged that its war exercise "Gangashakti" was monitored by China but none of the sides violated each other's airspace. The IAF has however pitched for acquiring more modern fighters according to its adversaries' capabilities, as "intentions may change overnight."
- We Are 'Not Interested' in US F-35 Fighters - Indian Air Force Chief Sputnik 27 Apr 2018 -- The Indian Air Force chief's statement came in response to queries regarding reports in some local newspapers that the Indian Air Force had asked for a classified briefing on the F-35 after the defense ministry scrapped the proposal for local production of foreign-origin fighter jets in India.
- Indian Navy Gets Third Landing Craft Utility Amphibious Ship at Andaman Island Sputnik 25 Apr 2018 -- The vessel can carry over two hundred personnel, including sailors and troops from ship to shore and vice versa, in the eventuality of an amphibious warfare near the strategically important Strait of Malacca.
- India Partially Abolishes Armed Forces Special Powers Act Sputnik 23 Apr 2018 -- While the contentious Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act has been removed entirely from the northeastern state of Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh, the act will remain enforced under eight police stations near the border with Assam and in three districts near the border with Myanmar.
- Russia May Supply India Forces With Armaments Tested in Real Warfare Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- Russia is prepared to provide a wide range of anti-aircraft weapons and military equipment, which have been successfully tried in real conditions, to India, Director General of the Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport Alexander Mikheev said on Friday.
- Indian Space Agency Claims To Have Saved $120 Mln on Second Moon Mission Sputnik 19 Apr 2018 -- Chandrayaan-2 will be equipped with a land-rover and probe, which will descend onto the surface of the moon, from where they will collect samples of soil, water, etc. to carry back home for detailed analysis and research.
- India's Defense Team to Visit Russia to Finalize AK-103 Assault Rifle Deal Sputnik 19 Apr 2018 -- The proposed deal envisages the licensed production of the assault rifles in India jointly by state-owned enterprises and private industry at an estimated cost of $1.9 billion. The Indian Army alone requires more than 768,000 sets of such rifles.
- UK and India commit to closer military ties UK MOD 18 Apr 2018 -- The UK and India will continue to strengthen their defence and security relationship, with the two countries working closer together than ever before to tackle terrorism and threats to cyber security.
- BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missiles Receive Cost-Effective Indian-Made Seeker Sputnik 13 Apr 2018 -- The seeker, along with a solid propellant booster locally developed by India, will reduce the overall cost of production while taking the BrahMos closer to Mach 3 speeds in the cruise phase.
- Ukraine Offers Maintenance for Indian Navy's Aircraft Carrier Vikramaditya Sputnik 13 Apr 2018 -- A Ukrainian defense industry enterprise has also offered to jointly produce gas turbine engines with India apart from signing contracts with an Indian firm for the modernization and localization of production components for armored vehicles of the Indian Army.
- India Resets Navigation Satellite Developed to Replace GPS Sputnik 12 Apr 2018 -- India had started the process of developing its own indigenous navigation satellite system after the US refused to provide GPS data to the Indian armed forces during the Kargil war with Pakistan in 1999.
- India Approves Technical Configuration of Ka-226T, Delivery Likely From 2020 Sputnik 12 Apr 2018 -- In October 2016, India and Russia had finalized a broad agreement for a joint venture between Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) and Russian Helicopters. India will buy the first lot of 60 helicopters in a flyaway condition, while the remaining 140 will be made in India under the joint venture.
- Japan's ShinMaywa to Build US-2 Amphibious Aircraft in India Sputnik 12 Apr 2018 -- It is not clear who the consumer of the aircraft would be as discussions on the procurement of the aircraft for the Indian Navy has hit a logjam with Japan initially unwilling to reduce prices and allow transfer of technology and now with the Indian Navy facing a severe fund crisis.
- India's Top Bureaucrat to Visit Moscow; Acquiring Russian Submarine Tops Agenda Sputnik 12 Apr 2018 -- India and Russia have been engaged in an advanced stage of negotiation on the sale of strategically crucial defense platforms like the S-400 air defense system, four stealth frigates, and helicopters despite the threat of US sanctions under the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act.
- Gunfight, clashes kill seven people in Indian-controlled Kashmir Press TV 11 Apr 2018 -- A gun battle in Indian-controlled Kashmir and ensuing anti-India protests have left at least seven people dead, including three civilians.
- Two Soldiers Killed In Unprovoked Firing by Pakistan Troops: Indian Army Sputnik 10 Apr 2018 -- India has accused Pakistani forces of firing mortars and automatic guns overnight to strike at Indian positions in the Sunderbani sector along the Line of Control.
- After 9-Years Wait, Indian Army to Get Ballistic Vests With Level 3+ Protection Sputnik 10 Apr 2018 -- The jackets finalized for procurement would provide Level 3+ protection as the plates used in the jacket can repel not only regular 7.62x51 ammunition but also steel-core bullets like the AK-47s 7.62x39 mm, which can shatter regular Level III body armor.
- Many States Interested in BrahMos as Talks Are Underway - Indian Defense Chief Sputnik 09 Apr 2018 -- India says that there is sustained interest among countries of South East Asia and Africa in purchasing the BrahMos but negotiations are taking time as there are a number of crucial issues that need to be addressed before exporting what has been touted as the world's deadliest missile system.
- 'Unimpressed' by American Patriot missile system, India turns to Russian S-400 Press TV 06 Apr 2018 -- India is to finalize a weapons deal to buy Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems reportedly unimpressed by US-made Patriot missile systems' repeated failures.
- US Sanctions Unlikely to Affect Russia-India Talks on S-400 Missile Deliveries Sputnik 06 Apr 2018 -- New US sanctions against Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport will not affect the negotiations between Russia and India on the supply of S-400 Triumph air defense missile systems to New Delhi, a source close to the S-400 talks told Sputnik on Friday.
- India Floats Multibillion-Dollar Global Tender for 110 Fighter Aircraft Sputnik 06 Apr 2018 -- Out of the 110 fighter jets, at least 75 percent will comprise single-seaters while the rest will be twin-seaters, according to a request for information floated on Friday. Expert Amit Cowsish says more clarity is needed if the government is to buy both types from a single vendor or multiple vendors.
- India Struggling to Establish Lost Link With Crucial Communication Satellite Sputnik 03 Apr 2018 -- GSAT-6A, launched on 29 March, was aimed at helping mobile communications even from very remote locations through hand-held ground terminals and was considered a huge advancement in communication for the Indian Armed Forces.
- Indian Air Force Mi-17 Helicopter Crashes Near the Himalayas Sputnik 03 Apr 2018 -- The Russia-made Mi-17 is one of the world's most advanced military transport helicopters. Although the cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained, prima facie it looks like the aircraft became entangled with iron girders while landing, according to a local resident.
- Indian-controlled Kashmir shut by strike, curfew after deadly clashes Press TV 02 Apr 2018 -- People have staged a strike in Indian-controlled Kashmir, parts of which remain under curfew, a day after deadly anti-New Delhi protests and clashes between the army and pro-independence militants.
- Kashmir Shut By Security Clampdown, Strike After Deadly Clashes RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- Security restrictions and a strike has shut down most of Indian-administered Kashmir, after clashes between militants and government forces killed at least 20 people.
- 18 Killed in Violent Clashes in Indian Kashmir VOA 01 Apr 2018 -- Eighteen people have been killed in three separate incidents Sunday as Indian troops conducted counterinsurgency operations in Indian Kashmir.
- Indian soldiers 'kill 8 militants' in Kashmir Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- Eight militants have reportedly been killed in separate gun battles with Indian forces in the Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- Two Killed, 50 Injured in Clashes With Indian Forces in Kashmir - Reports Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- At least two civilians have been killed and about 50 injured in the disputed Jammu and Kashmir state as a result of protests which broke out following a massive counterterrorism operation of Indian security forces across the region, local media reported on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list