Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2017 - India Special Weapons News
- '7 killed in attack on military camp in Kashmir' Press TV 31 Dec 2017 -- At least three suspected militants and four Indian soldiers have reportedly been killed in an attack on an Indian military camp in the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir, Indian officials say.
- China calls for better Sino-Indian military relations in 2018 People's Daily 29 Dec 2017 -- Chinese authorities on Thursday called for better military relations with India in 2018, urging the latter to manage its border troops in a "proper way."
- India Stocks Up on Attack Choppers After Claims of Military Unpreparedness Sputnik 28 Dec 2017 -- The world's second largest military measured by manpower is planning to acquire more than a dozen light combat helicopters, as India's defense sector responds to concerns about its readiness for battle.
- Shooting Star: India's New Missile Interceptor a 'Grand Success' in Latest Test Sputnik 28 Dec 2017 -- India has successfully test-fired their indigenously developed Advanced Air Defense (AAD) supersonic interceptor missile, meant to destroy incoming low-altitude ballistic missiles. The missile's success is the latest in India's long-standing mission to build an effective missile defense system.
- India Says Family Of Man Charged With Spying In Pakistan Was Mistreated RFE/RL 27 Dec 2017 -- India denounced Pakistan on December 26 over the treatment of the family of an Indian man sentenced to death for spying, saying they had been harassed during a visit -- a charge Pakistan called "baseless."
- Pakistani fire kills 3 Indian troops, one officer in Kashmir: India Press TV 23 Dec 2017 -- India says "Pakistani" fire has claimed the lives of three Indian soldiers and an officer in Indian-controlled Kashmir along the unofficial border with Pakistan, known as the Line of Control (LoC), in the latest cross-border clashes between the bitter rivals in the disputed Himalayan territory.
- India, China hold 20th round of talks over disputed border regions Press TV 22 Dec 2017 -- India and China have held special delegation-level meetings on key points in a dispute on border regions.
- India's Homegrown Anti-Aircraft QRSAM Enters Final Trials Sputnik 22 Dec 2017 -- In the last five months, Indian defense scientists have conducted a series of tests of the quick reaction surface to air missile (QRSAM) meant to be deployed along the border with Pakistan. The developers are soon expected to start series production of the missile system.
- India Launches $500 Mln Program to Acquire 15 Light Combat Helicopters Sputnik 22 Dec 2017 -- 5.5-ton light combat helicopters will provide crucial air support to the armed forces deployed along the border with China as they have the power to carry out operational roles under extreme weather conditions at altitudes of up to 20000 meter in the difficult Himalayan terrain.
- Pakistan Rejects Claims Convicted Indian Spy Will Be Executed VOA 21 Dec 2017 -- Pakistan is rejecting reports authorities plan to execute an Indian death row prisoner soon after arranging a meeting with his relatives next week in Islamabad.
- India Launches $8 Billion Program to Make Its Own Fighter Jet Sputnik 21 Dec 2017 -- India has officially launched a program aimed at creating its own single-engine combat aircraft that will require no technology from abroad.
- India Goes Ahead with $2Bln Purchase of US Predator Drones Sans Weapons Sputnik 20 Dec 2017 -- India is purchasing 22 Predator "B" drones from the US in order to fulfill an urgent demand from the navy. However, since the drones are strictly for reconnaissance, India is simultaneously developing on its own armed drones that can be used for surveillance as well as for precision strikes.
- India Conducts Massive Military Exercise Near Pakistani Border Sputnik 20 Dec 2017 -- Besides conventional warfare, Indian troops are rehearsing responses to chemical and nuclear threats. The drills are aiming to evaluate the capability of the armed forces to strike deep into enemy territory in the event of an integrated air-land battle.
- Two anti-India fighters, woman killed in India-controlled Kashmir Press TV 19 Dec 2017 -- New Delhi forces have shot dead at least two suspected fighters in Indian-controlled Kashmir in fierce clashes that also killed a young woman.
- Indian Troops Gun Down Two Militants, One Civilian in Anti Insurgency Operation Sputnik 19 Dec 2017 -- The separatist leaders of Jammu and Kashmir have called for a complete shutdown on Wednesday to protest the killing of the civilians. Forty civilians have been killed during protests against security forces in the state since the beginning of 2017.
- Modi Government Faces Opposition's Ire on Rafale Deal in Parliament Sputnik 19 Dec 2017 -- The Indian Air Force is to receive 36 Rafale fighter jets from France beginning 2019 as part of an intergovernmental agreement. The opposition has attacked the Narendra Modi-led government for aborting a similar deal that could have fetched transfer of technology apart from saving cost.
- INS Kalvari Commissioned into the Indian Navy Indian Navy 14 Dec 2017 -- The Honourable Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi commissioned INS Kalvari (S-21), the first of the six Scorpene class submarines built under Project 75 (Kalvari Class) into the Indian Navy at an impressive ceremony held at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai on 14 December 2017. The event marked the formal induction into the Navy of the first of the six submarines being constructed at Mazagon Docks Ltd., in collaboration with the French builder M/s Naval Group.
- India's First Locally Built Attack Submarine to Join Naval Fleet on Thursday Sputnik 13 Dec 2017 -- INS Kalvari would be the 14th boat to join Indian Navy's conventional submarine fleet in the Indian Ocean Region. However, the Indian Navy requires at least 24 submarines to maintain its superiority over Bangladesh and Pakistan who are poised to soon deploy additional submarines sourced from China.
- India's HAL Invites Interest from Global, Local Partners for Aircraft Projects Sputnik 12 Dec 2017 -- HAL has bagged a string of contracts from the Indian defense forces for trainer aircraft, utility helicopters, as well as integrating Su-30MKIs with BrahMos missiles, Dhruv helicopters and possibly the Russian-Indian FGFA.
- After Saying No to Sikorsky, India to Issue Fresh Tender for Naval Helicopters Sputnik 12 Dec 2017 -- India had scrapped a deal with American firm Sikorsky for 16 anti-submarine warfare capable naval helicopters as differences persisted between the two sides on the price of the helicopters the Indian Navy intended to purchase.
- Not My Bill! Indian Air Force, Company Fight Over Who Pays Jet Upkeep Contract Sputnik 09 Dec 2017 -- India might find itself in trouble trying to maintain and upgrade its aging Dassault Mirage fleet of fighter jets as the two responsible bodies point fingers at each other demanding the other one should pay.
- Wassenaar Arrangement Admits India as 42nd Member Sputnik 08 Dec 2017 -- On Thursday, Wassenaar Arrangement, an export control regime, admitted India as its new member, which would enhance its credentials in the field of non-proliferation.
- PLA responds after Indian drone crashes in Chinese territory People's Daily 07 Dec 2017 -- The Chinese military has expressed strong opposition to India using drones to undermine China's territorial sovereignty.
- China says Indian drone violated airspace Press TV 07 Dec 2017 -- China says an Indian drone recently violated Chinese airspace and territorial sovereignty but crashed on its own.
- India Claims Reconnaissance Drone Violated Chinese Airspace Due to Glitch Sputnik 07 Dec 2017 -- The world's two most populous countries are addressing the issue in accordance with established protocols; through institutional mechanisms set up to address situations that occur along the India-China border.
- World's Deadliest Missile BrahMos to Achieve Hypersonic Speed in Next 7 Years Sputnik 06 Dec 2017 -- The present version of BhraMos travels at a speed of 2.8 Mach. Indian and Russian scientists have been jointly working on increasing the speed to hypersonic levels in a phased manner.
- India Achieves Capability to Make Any Type of Surface to Air Missile Sputnik 05 Dec 2017 -- The indigenous radio frequency seeker has been developed at a cost of approximately $7 million and it will make the Akash more accurate and increase its range.
- India's Homemade Specialty Alloy to Drastically Cut BrahMos Cost Sputnik 04 Dec 2017 -- Indian defense scientists consider it a major achievement, as the BrahMos missile utilizes five different grades of wrought aluminum alloys in eight different semi-product forms, which are developed in nine different heat treatment conditions.
- Indian Navy Poised to Join Elite League: Modern Submarine Rescue Capability Sputnik 02 Dec 2017 -- India, which is ambitiously modernizing and expanding its maritime capability in the India Ocean Region and beyond, will be filling in a crucial capability gap with the third generation submarine rescue systems that the British JFD is scheduled to deliver by March 2018.
- Ocean Roar: India Begins Building Fleet of Nuclear Attack Submarines Sputnik 02 Dec 2017 -- India has kicked off their production of six new nuclear-powered attack submarines, which will greatly increase New Delhi's naval power projection once completed.
- India Alarmed By China's Plan to Deploy Warships in Pakistan's Gwadar Port Sputnik 01 Dec 2017 -- The planned deployment of Chinese warships at the Gwadar port in Pakistan threatens to make India's worst fear come true. India suspects that China has been increasing its naval presence in the Indian Ocean region as part of a larger strategy to encircle India.
- India Denies Having Let US Officials On Board Nuke Sub Leased From Russia Sputnik 01 Dec 2017 -- The INS Chakra, leased by the Indian Navy from Russia for a 10-year period, has been lying idle at the Vizag port for the last three months following damage that is currently being inspected by an Indo-Russian joint team of experts.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list