Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2017 - India Special Weapons News
- 5 more Kashmiris killed in clashes with Indian forces Press TV 30 Nov 2017 -- The number of pro-independence fighters killed this year during clashes in Indian-controlled Kashmir has exceeded 200 as five more lose their lives in armed fighting in the restive Himalayan region.
- India Plans to Use Smart Technology to Fortify Its Borders - BSF Sputnik 30 Nov 2017 -- India's Border Security Force hopes to be able to react more promptly and precisely to any ceasefire violation or infiltration attempt after March 2018, when the smart fencing is completed.
- India, Singapore Agree to Enhance Naval Cooperation Near Strait of Malacca Sputnik 29 Nov 2017 -- The agreement indicates India's consistent efforts in strengthening the capability of its navy in the eastern part of the Strait of Malacca that connects the South China Sea with the Indian Ocean, as 80 percent of China's energy supply passes through this shipping route.
- India to Deploy Additional 6000 Border Guards to Stop Influx of Rohingyas Sputnik 29 Nov 2017 -- At least five battalions (1200 troops per battalion) of India's Border Security Force (BSF) will be raised to police the border with Bangladesh. The BSF claims to have apprehended 87 Rohingyas up to 31 October this year, out of which 76 were sent back to Bangladesh.
- India's Soviet-Origin Mi-17 Helicopters to Undergo Lethal Upgrade Sputnik 27 Nov 2017 -- Indian Air Force is shortly inducting more than 200 new helicopters. However, the decision to take the Mi-17 for a major upgrade suggests that the Soviet-era craft remains one of its most reliable helicopters for special operations including precision attacks.
- Indian Aerospace Behemoth Reveals Why Indo-Russia FGFA is Most Feasible Sputnik 27 Nov 2017 -- Any new fighter jet procurement deal by Indian Air Force would require the foreign vendor to set up a production line in India – a time taking process. In this backdrop, HAL's claim that it can immediately start co-producing the FGFA with Russia from existing facility holds immense significance.
- India Holds Massive Military Exercise Near Chinese Trade Chokepoint Sputnik 27 Nov 2017 -- Amphibious ships, warships, P-8I patrol aircraft and landing docks are the permanent assets at the Andaman Nicobar Island, reflecting India's attempt to renew its maritime policy and to ensure its dominance is not challenged by China in the Indian Ocean Region.
- Indian Air Force Training Aircraft Crashes During Routine Mission Sputnik 25 Nov 2017 -- The Indian Air Force had planned to phase out the Kiran from 2014 onwards but has been forced to repeatedly extend the retirement date as state-owned aircraft manufacturer HAL has failed to develop its replacement to date.
- India's Propellant Booster to Help BrahMos Achieve Unimaginable Speed Sputnik 24 Nov 2017 -- The solid propellant booster developed by Indian scientists would take BrahMos - the world's first and only supersonic cruise missile closer to Mach 3 speed in cruise phase.
- Breaking Barriers: India Gets First Woman Naval Pilot Sputnik 24 Nov 2017 -- Shubhangi Swaroop from the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh will fly the maritime reconnaissance aircraft, paving way for more women to be deployed as naval officers.
- India Struggles to Solve its Fighter Jet Procurement Puzzle Sputnik 23 Nov 2017 -- India, which intends to replace all of its Russian-made MiG-21 and MiG-27 fighter jets by 2024, is stuck in a difficult situation, as Lockheed Martin has denied total transfer of technology, SAAB itself lacks complete technology and local firm HAL is incapable of delivering at the required pace.
- Indian Navy Ready to Receive Multiple Maneuverable Warhead Tracking Vessel Sputnik 23 Nov 2017 -- The vessel's X-band precision tracking radar can track the inbound flight trajectories of multiple maneuverable warheads apart from monitoring the trajectories of intercontinental ballistic missiles and submarine-launched ballistic missiles.
- India successfully test-fires BrahMos cruise missile from aircraft Press TV 22 Nov 2017 -- India says it has successfully fired a BrahMos cruise missile from a fighter jet for the first time, marking a major milestone in the joint development of the strategic weapon with Russia.
- India Successfully Test-Fires Supersonic Brahmos Missile From Su30MKI Sputnik 22 Nov 2017 -- The first ever air-launched Brahmos missile has hit a target at a distance of 280 kilometers in the Bay of Bengal. The missile was dropped from the Su-30 jet's fuselage, and the two-stage missile's engine fired up and propelled it straightway towards the intended target.
- Indian commando, three fighters killed in Kashmir Press TV 21 Nov 2017 -- An Indian army commando and three independence fighters have been killed in separate gun fights across the Indian-controlled part of Kashmir, police say.
- India Calls off $500 Mln Spike Missile Deal With Israel Sputnik 20 Nov 2017 -- Israel's Spike had won the global bid in 2014 but could not sign the final contract with India due to a single-vendor situation. Now, India's state-owned defense firm DRDO is locally producing anti-tank guided missiles that match the requirements of the Indian armed forces.
- 7 killed as police attack pro-independence fighters in Kashmir Press TV 18 Nov 2017 -- Fierce clashes between Indian security forces and a group of pro-independence fighters in restive Indian-controlled Kashmir have left at least seven people dead.
- Indian Army's Mega Purchase: Surveillance UAVs for Tactical Battle Areas Sputnik 18 Nov 2017 -- The $670 million contract is intended for local industry. However, a lack of technology and short delivery deadline may force Indian firms to forge partnerships with foreign manufacturers.
- Old Rivals India, China Nurture New Rivalry in Satellite Launch Business Sputnik 16 Nov 2017 -- The Indian Space Research Organization says it is ready to further slash its fee for launching satellites after China announced its plans to bring prices down to $5,000 a kilogram.
- Indian Army Demands Early Completion of Tunnels Along Chinese-Indian Border Sputnik 16 Nov 2017 -- Nine tunnels have been listed as priority projects by the Indian Army, as they would provide better connectivity to possible flashpoints along the border with China. Tunnels, unlike roads or high mountain passes, would enable swift all-weather transport of troops and reinforcements.
- Indian Navy Enrolls Domestic Firm to Locally Produce Sonar Systems Sputnik 16 Nov 2017 -- The portable diver detection sonar will be manufactured by Tata Power SED in India with the transfer of technology from DSTI Israel.
- India Envisions Early Deployment of Modern Tanks Along Chinese, Pakistani Border Sputnik 15 Nov 2017 -- The Indian Army chief has said that ultra-modern armored vehicles are the need of the hour for India to be prepared for hybrid warfare along the Pakistani-Chinese border.
- India's Opposition Smells Rat in Rafale Deal Sputnik 15 Nov 2017 -- The Indian National Congress has questioned the rationale behind the Narendra Modi-led government's decision to purchase French Rafale jets at an inflated price.
- India to Test Air Force Variant of World's Deadliest Missile - BrahMos Sputnik 14 Nov 2017 -- The BrahMos missile is a product of BrahMos Aerospace, which is a joint venture of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India and the NPO Mashinostroyenia of Russia. The name BrahMos is a portmanteau formed from the names of two rivers, the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia.
- India Joins Quadrilateral Dialogue Meeting With US, Australia & Japan Sputnik 13 Nov 2017 -- Political analysts say that with growing anxiety in the Indo-Pacific with Chinese assertiveness, further complicated by the uncertainty over US's role in the region, it is not surprising that the quadrilateral dialogue has been revived.
- India Again Seeking US Deferment on C-17 Aircraft Purchase Sputnik 09 Nov 2017 -- India has once again deferred the purchase of the C-17 Globemaster heavy lift helicopter from the US. The request is a continuation of the last such extension by India, following which the US had given a grace period of until November 17.
- Chafee Conducts Trilateral PASSEX with Indian Navy and JMSDF in 7th Fleet NNS 07 Nov 2017 -- USS Chafee (DDG 90) participated in a passing exercise (PASSEX) with the Indian navy ships, INS Satpura (F48) and INS Kadmatt (P29) as well as Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) ship JS Inazuma (DD-105) Nov. 3-6.
- 4 more killed in renewed fighting in Kashmir Press TV 07 Nov 2017 -- A renewed wave of fighting in India-controlled Kashmir has left four more people killed, including a soldier of the Indian army.
- India Brushes Aside China's Concerns Over DM's Arunachal Pradesh Visit Sputnik 07 Nov 2017 -- Indian Army says Defense Minister's visit to Arunachal Pradesh, part of which is disputed, was aimed at boosting the morale of troops and not unsettling the bilateral agreement on maintaining peace at the border, as claimed by China.
- Indian Scientists Successfully Fire Electromagnetic Railgun (Mach 6) Test Shot Sputnik 07 Nov 2017 -- The Indian Defense Research organization hopes to soon complete trials of electromagnetic railguns that would give the country's naval forces a superlative advantage and a capability to launch devastating attacks on both land and sea targets.
- India's Subsonic Nuke Capable Cruise Missile Hits Bull's Eye on Fifth Trial Sputnik 07 Nov 2017 -- This was the fifth test of the nuke-capable low altitude cruise missile Nirbhay. The last two tests conducted in 2015 and 201g were erratic failures.
- China slams Indian minister's visit to disputed border region Press TV 06 Nov 2017 -- China has objected to a visit by India's defense minister to the remote state of Arunachal Pradesh, a disputed region administered by New Delhi but claimed by Beijing, saying the move would block efforts in maintaining peace in the region.
- India Set to Conduct Fifth Trial of Homegrown Cruise Missile Sputnik 06 Nov 2017 -- India seems to be in no mood to give up on the home built subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay that suffered serious technical snags in the last two unsuccessful trials. Developer DRDO says the glitches have been fixed and the prototype should pass all trials by June 2018.
- India Offers Real-Time Intelligence Data Sharing with 10 Countries Sputnik 04 Nov 2017 -- The Indian Navy has proposed the initiative in the backdrop of an increased presence of Chinese naval fleet including submarines in the Indian Ocean Region.
- Indian Army in for Massive Overhaul of Infantry Weapons Worth $6Billion Sputnik 03 Nov 2017 -- The Indian Army is looking for immediate purchase of thousands of light machine guns, assault rifles, and carbines. The Indian government intends to make these purchases under the 'Make in India' route involving transfer of technology to local firms by global vendors.
- Bhutanese King Visits India Amid Growing Concern Over China's Buildup in Doklam Sputnik 02 Nov 2017 -- This is the first high-level visit from the Bhutanese side after the Doklam crisis involving India and Bhutan on one side and China on the other. The crisis had witnessed India and China locked in a bitter military standoff for over two months earlier this year.
- Indian Ocean Could Be Heading for 'Complexities' if Chinese Presence Not Reduced Sputnik 01 Nov 2017 -- The Indian Navy plans to soon execute its scheme of "mission-based deployment" involving ships, aircraft and submarines beyond its immediate neighborhood for providing a sustained presence and visibility in the Indian Ocean region.
- India to Boost Target Detection Capability of Its Warships With Advanced Sonars Sputnik 01 Nov 2017 -- The deal for supplying nine active towed array sonar (ATAS) systems for Indian warships is most likely to be bagged by a foreign vendor, as a similar system being developed by India's state-owned Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) is still not ready.
- India May Launch Second Nuclear Submarine by Early 2018 - Atomic Energy Dep't Sputnik 01 Nov 2017 -- A senior Indian official has told Sputnik about the launch terms for the country's second nuclear submarine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list