Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2017 - India Special Weapons News
- Suspected militants kill three soldiers in Indian Kashmir Press TV 27 Apr 2017 -- At least three Indian soldiers have been killed in a suspected militant attack on a military airbase in Indian-controlled Kashmir, a military official says.
- Dozens injured as troops fire at student protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir Press TV 24 Apr 2017 -- Dozens of people have been injured after paramilitary troops opened fire on a crowd of stone-throwing student protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- India's ruling BJP politicians to face trial in mosque case Press TV 19 Apr 2017 -- A top court in India has ruled that three senior members of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) should face trial over the demolition of a historical mosque by Hindu extremists in 1992.
- Indian Navy Expected to Push for Second Aircraft Carrier Funding Sputnik 19 Apr 2017 -- The Indian Navy will approach the government for funding to build its second aircraft carrier in a couple of months.
- Indian Navy Expects $2.6 Bln Deal for Amphibious Transport Dock by Year End Sputnik 19 Apr 2017 -- The Indian Navy has set its target to finalize a $2.6 billion contract for Landing Platform Docks with private Indian shipbuilders by the end of this year.
- Indian Navy to Sign $4.9Bln Deal With S Korean Firm for Minesweeping Vessels Sputnik 18 Apr 2017 -- In a major announcement, the Indian Navy has said that it will sign $4.9 billion deal with South Korean defense firm Kangnam Corporation for the procurement of 12 new mine countermeasure vehicles (MCMVs) this year.
- India Deploys Four Warships With Advanced Weapons in the Mediterranean Sea Sputnik 18 Apr 2017 -- The Indian Navy deployed four warships in the Mediterranean Sea and along the East coast of Africa to ensure maritime order in solidarity with friendly and like-minded countries.
- India Opens $3 Billion Ammo Tender for Private Sector to Curb Import Dependency Sputnik 17 Apr 2017 -- The Indian defense ministry has floated a tender for private ammunition makers in India to supply ammunition worth $3 billion to the armed forces over the next decade. Currently, 11 government-owned ordnance factories have a monopoly over the production of ammunitions.
- Defence Secretary agrees closer cooperation with India UK MOD 13 Apr 2017 -- The Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon visited India this week to strengthen UK-Indian defence and security relations.
- India's MoD Reveals Which Private Companies are to Receive Sukhoi-30MKI Tech Sputnik 13 Apr 2017 -- The Indian Defense Ministry has introduced 20 Indian vendors to the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) of the Sukhoi-30MKI aircraft at the recently held Indo-Russia Military-Industrial Conference to pursue the transfer of technology possibilities.
- India to Offload 25% Share of Four Government Defense Firms Sputnik 13 Apr 2017 -- The Indian government has agreed to sell up to 25 percent stake in government-owned defense companies, involved in shipbuilding and guided missiles, to give a push to defense manufacturing within the country.
- India Warns Pakistan Spy Case Could Impact Ties VOA 11 Apr 2017 -- India has warned Pakistan to consider the consequences on bilateral relations if a death sentence handed to a former naval officer by a Pakistani military court is carried out and said it will do "whatever it takes" to ensure justice for him.
- Indian Officers Scam Army Into Paying Millions in Rent for Disputed Land Sputnik 11 Apr 2017 -- India's investigative agencies have exposed a land scam operation running into millions of rupees, involving Indian Army officers and locals in the Indian State Jammu & Kashmir. The Army is said to have paid the money as rent to fictitious owners for land that is situated in Pakistan-administered Kashmir.
- India Seeks to Enhance Naval Ties With Malaysia With Defense Deals Sputnik 11 Apr 2017 -- Admiral Sunil Lanba, Chairman, the Chiefs of Staff Committee, began a five-day tour to Malaysia on Tuesday a week after Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's India visit. During the Malaysian PM's visit, Adani Ports had initiated a deal to develop Carey Island near Kuala Lumpur with Malaysian partners.
- India Set to Patrol Malacca Straits That Lead to South China Sea Sputnik 11 Apr 2017 -- In a significant development for India, the countries patrolling the Straits of Malacca are expected to give their consent for India to join the patrolling of the straits connecting the Indian Ocean with the Pacific Ocean very soon. The Malacca Straits also links the Indian Ocean to the South China Sea.
- Indian army says killed four militants in gunfight in Kashmir Press TV 10 Apr 2017 -- The Indian army says its troops have killed four suspected militants in an overnight firefight at the borderline of the Indian-administered part of Kashmir.
- Pakistani military court hands down death penalty to alleged Indian spy Press TV 10 Apr 2017 -- A Pakistani military court has handed down death sentence to an Indian man for his alleged involvement in espionage and sabotage activities.
- Pakistan Awards Death Sentence to Alleged Indian Spy Sputnik 10 Apr 2017 -- Pakistan has awarded the death penalty to alleged Indian spy, Commander Kulbushan Sudhir Jadhav alias Hussein Mubarak Patel, for his involvement in espionage and sabotage activities against Pakistan.
- Pakistan Sentences Suspected Indian Spy to Death VOA 10 Apr 2017 -- A military court in Pakistan has sentenced an alleged Indian spy to death on charges of "espionage and sabotage" activities against the country, a rare move likely to fuel bilateral tensions.
- India to Buy Israeli Barak Eight Surface-to-Air Missile for Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 10 Apr 2017 -- The Indian Navy will purchase additional Barak eight long-range surface-to-air missiles (LR-SAM) from Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for its home-made aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant under the follow-on offer.
- India Looks Set To Buy Malaysian MiG-29s In Cost Effective Purchase Sputnik 08 Apr 2017 -- The Indian government has decided to send a team of the Indian Air Force to examine the MiG-29 fleet, which is being replaced by Malaysia, for its use. It will be a value purchase for the Indian Air Force which is short of hundreds of fighter jets since the cost of upgradation is expected to be minimal.
- India Gives $4.5B Credit Line to Bangladesh, Signs Defense Pact VOA 08 Apr 2017 -- India and Bangladesh signaled deepening ties Saturday as New Delhi committed a $4.5 billion line of credit to Dhaka for development projects, and the two countries signed their first-ever pact on defense cooperation.
- Israel Aerospace Industries Wins $500 Million 3D Radar Tender in India Sputnik 07 Apr 2017 -- Israel Aerospace Industries' Elta Systems has won the tender to supply radars to the Indian Army by being the lowest bidder as well as its commitment to technology transfer in India.
- India Successfully Tests Next-Gen Arjun Battle Tank's Strike Capabilities Sputnik 07 Apr 2017 -- The Indian Army looks set to be going ahead with the indigenously developed Arjun MK 2 Main Battle Tank going by the successful trials being reported in by defense scientists.
- Israel inks missile system contract with India worth almost $2 billion Press TV 07 Apr 2017 -- India has awarded the Israeli regime a $2 billion contract to provide the Indian military with advanced missile systems.
- India Signs Almost $2 Bln Air Defense Missile Contract With Israeli Company Sputnik 06 Apr 2017 -- Months before Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Israel visit, the Indian government has signed an almost $2 billion contract with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for supplying advanced medium range surface-to-air missile and missile defense system to the Indian Army.
- Indian Submariners Complete Training to Run Scorpene Class Submarines Sputnik 05 Apr 2017 -- The first two crews to operate and run Kalvari-class submarines, based on the French Scorpene, completed their training from the reference operator of the French Defense Ministry earlier this week. The diesel-electric submarines are expected to be commissioned into the Indian Navy within a few months.
- India Deploys Amphibious Warfare Ship in South Indian Ocean Sputnik 05 Apr 2017 -- The Indian Navy has deployed one of its three Shardul-class amphibious warfare ships to provide surveillance support in the Indian Ocean Region, primarily against illegal fishing and smuggling.
- Detect, Track, Destroy: India to Receive Armed Heron Drones from Israel Sputnik 05 Apr 2017 -- An announcement that India will receive its first armed Heron drones from Israel has come as Narendra Modi prepares to make history as the first Indian prime minister to ever visit the country.
- India Clears Purchase of 100 Israeli Barak Missiles for Warships Sputnik 04 Apr 2017 -- The Indian Defense Ministry has approved the purchase of 100 Barak surface-to-air missiles at a cost of US$ 77 million. The Israeli-made missiles can track and shoot down rival subsonic and supersonic missiles, fighter jets, maritime patrolling aircraft, helicopters and sea skimming missiles.
- Indian Army Launches Hunt for Bunker Bursting Rifles With Tech Transfer Sputnik 01 Apr 2017 -- More than a decade after scrapping a deal due to bribery allegations with South Africa, the Indian Army has launched the process to procure 1,500 anti-material lightweight rifles. In a request for information, the Army has askes global vendors to approach it if ready to transfer technology to Indian firms.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list