Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2017 - India Special Weapons News
- Robots to Join India's Counter Operations against Maoist Rebels Sputnik 28 Feb 2017 -- There were 1,089 incidents of violence by left wing rebels (Maoists) reported in 2015 – 16. Out of the 508 people killed in the violence, 384 were civilians and 124 were security forces personnel. 89 Maoist rebels were killed by security forces in 2015 and 222 Maoists were killed in 2016, according to official figures.
- Indian Military to Aim Pellet Guns at the Feet of Protesting Kashmiris Sputnik 27 Feb 2017 -- Chief of Central Reserve Police Force said that the injuries could be minimized but cannot be brought to a zero level. Chances are high that Protesting Kashmiris in Indian administered Kashmir may face pellet guns at their feet; for now.
- Indian Navy to Hold Grand Farewell for Oldest Serving Warship INS Viraat Sputnik 27 Feb 2017 -- Under the Indian Flag, INS Viraat clocked more than 22,622 flying hours by various aircraft in the past three decades and spent nearly 2252 days at sea sailing 5,88,287 NM. This implies Viraat has spent seven years at sea covering the entire globe 27 times.
- Question Paper Leak Scam Puts Indian Army's Recruitment on Hold Sputnik 27 Feb 2017 -- The Indian Army is currently conducting an internal inquiry into the possible involvement of its officials in the racket involving alleged leak of question papers ahead of the nationwide examinations held for recruitment to various posts on Sunday.
- India Announces Development of Long-Range Airborne Warning Control System Sputnik 27 Feb 2017 -- India is planning to develop its own long-range airborne early warning and control system (AEW&C) in six years in order to fill the gaps in its aerial surveillance not covered by the recently developed Indian Netra system, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said Monday.
- India approves budget to buy missiles from Israel Press TV 24 Feb 2017 -- India has approved a 2.5-billion-dollar deal to purchase a surface-to-air missile system from Israel.
- Indian Navy Pushes HAL for Unmanned Helicopters to Keep an Eye on China Sputnik 24 Feb 2017 -- Experts feel that unprecedented rise in surveillance platforms deployed in the South China Sea, particularly China's deployment of high-tech drones, has reinforced a perception in New Delhi that Chinese future military operations will focus on dominating Asia's littorals.
- India Clears $2.6 Billion Air Defense System Purchase From Israel Sputnik 24 Feb 2017 -- India is also negotiating with Russia for long range air defense system S-400 which is expected to be finalized next month.
- Indian Navy Inks Deal for 31 Hi-Tech Surface Surveillance Radars Sputnik 23 Feb 2017 -- Based on the latest solid-state technology, the radar is also suited for coastal surveillance applications. The SSR will be capable of providing target designation data to surface to surface missiles.
- Indian Navy Saves Its Massively Damaged Guided Missile Frigate Betwa Sputnik 23 Feb 2017 -- India's Ministry of Defense document shows that more than two dozen accidents have been reported involving naval warships and submarines since 2011.
- No Thanks: India Turns Down British Advanced Aircraft Sputnik 24 Feb 2017 -- Following a request from India's Defense Ministry, New Delhi's Air Force has decided not to make an acquisition request for the British Advanced Hawk trainer aircraft, due to a recent bribery scandal.
- China Open to Indian NSG Membership, Yet Differences Remain - Foreign Secretary Sputnik 22 Feb 2017 -- Indian Foreign Secretary Subrahmanyam Jaishankar said that China is open to India joining the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), but its opinion on relevant details is different from that of New Delhi.
- Russia Still India's Most Dependable Defense Partner Sputnik 22 Feb 2017 -- India is the largest buyer of Russian weapons, taking home 38 per cent of Moscow's exports. Washington's efforts to increase defense selling to India under make in India program are shrouded in doubts with the Donald Trump administration pushing for protectionism and saving American jobs.
- Indian Space Research Organization Awaits Government Nod to Develop Station Sputnik 21 Feb 2017 -- Indian leaders and some of the space scientists had criticized ISRO for Mars Mission in 2013, arguing that with limited available resources, ISRO should prioritize its spending and avoid wasteful expenditure. Now, space scientists have points to make in support of India's own space station.
- India Sanctions Engine Repair Facility for Naval Carrier Aircraft MiG 29K Sputnik 21 Feb 2017 -- Indian Navy has announced a tender for 57 multi-role carrier borne fighters. Russian Aircraft has announced its willingness to participate in this bid.
- India to Add 42 Radar Stations for Surveillance in Western Coast Sputnik 21 Feb 2017 -- In the backdrop of frequent movement of rival naval ships and increased risk of terrorist attacks from sea, India has expedited the second phase of coastal surveillance scheme.
- Indian Navy to Procure Special Operation Boats Similar to US Navy SEALs Sputnik 20 Feb 2017 -- Indian Navy is focusing on strengthening the amphibious warfare capability. Apart from inducting amphibious warships, Indian Navy is augmenting the capability to conduct special operations in Indian Ocean Region.
- India's HAL Signs $8.5 Million Contracts to Maintain SAAB's EW System in India Sputnik 17 Feb 2017 -- SAAB has also offered Airborne Electronically Scanned Array fighter sensor package for India's indigenously assembled Tejas LCA MK 1A aircraft.
- India to Send Second Kilo Class Submarine to Russia for Refit in May Sputnik 17 Feb 2017 -- Most of the Indian submarines are in service for more than 25 years and have gone for one life extension. Despite making repeated claim to remain net security provider in Indian Ocean Region, Indian Navy does not have required submarines to maintain a Minimum Force Level.
- India, Israel to Jointly Upgrade Mi-17 Helicopters of Indian Air Force Sputnik 17 Feb 2017 -- India's electronic devices maker Alpha Design Technologies has signed a $30 million deal with Elbit Systems of Israel to jointly upgrade 90 Mi-17 helicopters of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- Lockheed Martin: India and US Talk on Proposal to Build F-16s in India VOA 17 Feb 2017 -- U.S. defense company Lockheed Martin says talks are being held between the American and Indian governments on its proposal to manufacture F-16 fighter jets in India.
- Indian Army to Treat Kashmiri Stone Throwers as Anti-Nationals Sputnik 16 Feb 2017 -- India has toughened its stand on Kashmiri stone pelters as Army Chief warned that they will be treated like jihadis.
- Indian Navy Learning to Combat Chinese Submarines in Major Drill Sputnik 16 Feb 2017 -- Dozens of warships, submarines and combat aircraft are taking part in the Indian Navy's Annual Theater Readiness Operational Exercise (TROPEX) 2017, under way off the country's western seaboard since January 24. The drill is aimed at testing the Navy's combat readiness amid the growing activity of Chinese nuclear submarines in the Indian Ocean.
- Indian Manufacturers Join Race to Cooperate With Foreign Defense Companies Sputnik 16 Feb 2017 -- The Indian government's inviting proposals for single-engine fighter jets with a focus on pushing defense manufacturing in the country opens a potential business opportunity for local firms to partner with foreign defense manufacturers.
- India to Test Home Grown Underwater Missile From Russian EKM Class Submarine Sputnik 16 Feb 2017 -- Indian defense scientists have announced that an anti-submarine torpedo will be going on trial from INS Sindhughosh submarine soon. India has offered this underwater missile to Vietnam and hopes for large orders from several other naval forces around the world.
- India Advances Talks on Missile Sale to Vietnam Despite China's Caution Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- India has decided to go ahead with missile sale to Vietnam despite red flagged by China. Beijing had warned both New Delhi and Hanoi that it will not sit quite if deal goes through.
- India successfully launches 104 satellites in single space mission People's Daily 15 Feb 2017 -- India on Wednesday created history by successfully launching 104 satellites in a single space mission, breaking the previous record of 37 satellites launched by Russiain 2014.
- India breaks global record in single-day satellite launch Press TV 15 Feb 2017 -- The Indian Space Research Organization says it has "successfully" launched more than 100 satellites into orbit aboard a single rocket, setting a new global record.
- India Successfully Launches Record 104 Satellites Simultaneously - ISRO Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- Indian PSLV-C37 carrier rocket successfully launched 104 satellites, five times more than the 20 launched into space in June 2016, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said Wednesday.
- India Puts Record 104 Satellites in Space VOA 15 Feb 2017 -- An Indian rocket blasted off Wednesday morning from Sriharikota in eastern India putting a record 104 satellites into space in a single launch, surpassing Russia's previous feat of launching 37 satellites one year ago, according to India's space agency.
- India Gets First Locally Designed Early Warning and Control Aircraft Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- On Tuesday India's Air Force received the first three indigenously designed airborne early warning and control platforms (AEW&C) from the country's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Russia Ready to Increase Licensed Production of Su-30MKI Fighter Jets in India Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- Russia is willing to ramp up the licensed production of its Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter jets in India, the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- India's BEL Details Remote Controlled Air Defense Gun for MBT Arjun MK II Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- Indian Army has argued that Indian made Main Battle Tank Arjun is too heavy to move quickly in desert and hilly roads. Army had also demanded 73 modifications in Mark I version of Arjuna. However, most of the notions of Indian Army were disapproved during comparative trials done by Israel Military Industries.
- India Approves $203 Million to Ramp up Production of Indigenous Combat Aircraft Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- Indian Air Force is continuing with 11 Squadrons of MiG-21 and MiG-27 aircrafts which are due to retire by 2024.
- Indian Air Force Su-30MKIs to Get Su-35 Engines After Modernization Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- United Engine Corporation CEO Alexander Artyuhov said that Russian Sukhoi Su-30MKI operated by the Indian Air Force after modernization will get the AL-41F turbofan engines designed for 4++ generation aircraft currently being installed on the Su-35 fighters.
- Russia, India Agree on Joint Works on 5th Generation Fighter Sputnik 14 Feb 2017 -- Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Deputy Director said that Russia and India have agreed a draft contract for the joint development of the fifth-generation fighter aircraft, the Russian side is ready for its signing.
- India Becomes Fourth Country to Have Home Made Eye in The Sky Sputnik 14 Feb 2017 -- However, Indian system is inferior in comparison to Israeli system as it can monitor only 270 degrees while IL-76 heavy-lift aircraft-mounted AWACS system can carry out 360 degree surveillance at a time.
- Russia Extends India's T-90S Tank Production License, Ready for New Orders Sputnik 14 Feb 2017 -- Russia is ready to supply more T-90S battle tanks to India at New Delhi's request.
- US Navy Selects Indian Shipyard to Repair Its Vessels Operating in Indian Ocean Sputnik 13 Feb 2017 -- US is concerned about India's unwillingness to implement Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA), military bases sharing agreement, which was signed in August 2016. Meanwhile, US has started tying up with Indian shipyard for repairing and alternation services for hundreds of naval vessels.
- Saab Woos India With Offer to Build Fighter Jet Factory in Exchange for Contract Sputnik 13 Feb 2017 -- Swedish aerospace company Saab has offered India a new fighter jet factory if the defense organization is able to secure a deal to supply New Delhi with over 200 military jets. Saab is currently neck and neck with US company Lockheed Martin to supply India's Air Force with 250 single engine combat planes.
- L&T Forms JV With France's MBDA for Development of Fifth Generation Systems Sputnik 13 Feb 2017 -- In September last year, US manufacturer Lockheed Martin and Raython had set up missile ventures to receive missile contract from Indian armed forces. As Donald Trump has pressurized US manufacturers to not to deviate jobs from Americans, this may prove to be an appropriate moment for MBDA to enter Indian missile ventures.
- Supersonic BrahMos Russian-Indian Missile Upgraded to Be Launched From Fighters Sputnik 13 Feb 2017 -- India is due to test the air-launched version of the supersonic Russian-Indian BrahMos cruise missile in the next three months, according to the Russian newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
- India Not in a Hurry to Sign Foundational Defense Agreements With the US Sputnik 13 Feb 2017 -- US is pushing India to sign the two Foundational Defense Agreements, the Communication and Information Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA), which India is yet to sign as per the US-India strategic defense partnership.
- India Successfully Tests Interceptor Missile Sputnik 11 Feb 2017 -- India conducted a successful test of a new interceptor missile as part of developing the country's new Ballistic Missile Defense system, local media reported on Saturday, citing a Defense Research Development Organization (DRDO) official.
- Assembly voting begins in India's Uttar Pradesh Press TV 11 Feb 2017 -- Voters have taken to the polls in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh in a contest seen as the biggest electoral test for Prime Minister Narendra Modi's popularity.
- Elections in India's Uttar Pradesh Test for PM Modi VOA 11 Feb 2017 -- Piyush Rai emerged from a polling station Saturday morning in Ghaziabad in India's northern Uttar Pradesh state along with his family, fervently hoping his vote for a new regional government will help bring development and jobs for young people.
- India Protests China Move to Keep Islamic Militant Leader Off UN Terror Blacklist VOA 10 Feb 2017 -- India has lodged a protest with China for its opposition to a proposal at the United Nations to put Maulana Masood Azhar, the chief of Pakistan-based Islamic militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad, on a U.N. terror blacklist.
- India Increases Defense Minister's Financial Power to Speed Up Modernization Sputnik 10 Feb 2017 -- Cabinet Committee on Security, India's apex body to decide on defense matters, has enhanced the financial powers of Defense Minister by four times to speed up the modernization India's defense forces.
- India Rejects Pakistan's Claim of Building Secret Nuclear City Sputnik 10 Feb 2017 -- Ministry of External Affairs rubbished Pakistan's claims of that India is building a secret nuclear city in the south of India and developing Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile.
- Pakistan claims India has built 'secret nuclear city' Press TV 09 Feb 2017 -- A senior Pakistani official says India has accumulated a stockpile of nuclear weapons which threatens to undermine the balance of power in the troubled South Asian region.
- India, Indonesia to Hold Joint Air Combat Drills Sputnik 09 Feb 2017 -- India and Indonesia will also hold their first ever joint air combat exercises. Joint air exercises are very important as Indonesia had evinced interest in India's light combat aircraft Tejas.
- India's Anti-Ship Missile Maiden Hits Target in Arabian Sea Sputnik 09 Feb 2017 -- India is currently carrying out its biggest inter-service exercise to test its combat readiness of the combined fleets of the Indian Navy, and the assets of the Indian Air Force, Indian Army and the Indian Coast Guard.
- Pakistan: India's Alleged 'Secret Nuclear City' Threatens Regional Peace VOA 09 Feb 2017 -- Pakistan is warning rival India's rapid expansion of its nuclear weaponry and construction of a "secret nuclear city" to produce a thermonuclear arsenal pose a direct threat to Islamabad and the region at large.
- India Provides Dedicated Technology Development Fund For Private Defense Firms Sputnik 08 Feb 2017 -- Indian government has decided to provide state funding to private sector companies to curb dependency on foreign countries for cutting edge defense technologies.
- HAL-BAE Manufactured Combat Hawk Finds No Takers in India Sputnik 07 Feb 2017 -- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd and BAE are aiming to woo the attention of countries which are potential targets of the Pakistan-China developed JF-17 Thunder.
- Indian Police Eliminate Two Militants, Foil Terrorist Attack in Kashmir Sputnik 04 Feb 2017 -- Two militants of a separatist group Hizbul Mujahideen were killed in the northern part of Kashmir region by Indian police and security forces, according to local media.
- Indians in key states go to polls in regional elections Press TV 04 Feb 2017 -- Millions of Indians in two of the country's main states have taken to the polls in key legislative elections seen as a referendum on Prime Minister Narendra Modi's popularity.
- Evidence of Terror Group Chief's Part in Mumbai Attack 'Available in Pakistan' Sputnik 02 Feb 2017 -- In reply to Pakistan's demand for concrete evidence against Hafiz Saeed, a leader of the Jamat-ud-Dawa terror group, India has said that all the evidence to implicate the mastermind of Mumbai terror attack is already available in Pakistan.
- India Unveils Measure to Clean Up Political Funding VOA 02 Feb 2017 -- In India, where illicit cash is the lifeblood of political parties, the government has slashed the limit on cash donations in a bid to clean up political funding. But analysts say much more needs to be done to tackle a problem that they say lies at the heart of corruption that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has vowed to eliminate.
- India Announces Marginal Increase in Defense Budget for Next Fiscal Sputnik 01 Feb 2017 -- Inadequate defense budget for next one year has raised serious questions over Narendra Modi's ambition to modernize military to counter assertive neighbors like Pakistan and China.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list