Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- India, China Attempt to Iron Out Differences On NSG Membership Issue Sputnik 31 Oct 2016 -- India and China are set to continue talks regarding India's membership bid for the 48 member Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- Indian Army Destroys Four Pakistani Border Posts, Kills up to 20 Soldiers Sputnik 30 Oct 2016 -- The Indian army destroyed at least four Pakistan's border posts killing up to 20 soldiers, local NDTV TV-channel reported on Sunday.
- Pakistan expels India diplomat in tit-for-tat move Press TV 28 Oct 2016 -- Pakistan has declared an Indian diplomat persona non grata and given him 48 hours to leave the country, in a tit-for-tat move that comes a day after India said it would deport a Pakistani official.
- India 'to expel Pakistani diplomat over spying' Press TV 27 Oct 2016 -- India has declared a Pakistani diplomat persona non grata for "espionage activities" and said it will expel him from the country, as tensions are already running high between New Delhi and Islamabad.
- Pakistani Embassy Official Tied to Delhi Spy Ring, Declared 'Persona Non Grata' Sputnik 27 Oct 2016 -- Delhi police claim that Pakistani Embassy official Mehmood Akhtar was the kingpin of a spy ring and recruited Indians who came seeking visas to travel to Pakistan.
- Indian Police Arrest Alleged Pakistani Spies for Leaking Defense Information Sputnik 27 Oct 2016 -- Indian police arrested in New Delhi two Pakistani men on suspicion of espionage and leaking confidential documents related to India's defense sector, local media reported on Thursday.
- India Expels Pakistani Staffer on Spying Charges VOA 27 Oct 2016 -- India has expelled a staffer of the Pakistani High Commission in New Delhi, accusing him of running a spy racket that accessed sensitive information about Indian security operations.
- Preparing for the Long Shot: Range of BrahMos Cruise Missile to be Doubled Sputnik 27 Oct 2016 -- Developments in the last fortnight indicate an unprecedented buildup of confidence between India and Russia as evident from the many deals and agreements that have been reached.
- India to Begin Trials of Homegrown AIP Equipment in December Sputnik 27 Oct 2016 -- Delays had forced the Indian Navy to abandon its plan to deploy AIP in Scorpene submarines.
- India for Selective Blacklisting of Foreign Defense Companies Sputnik 27 Oct 2016 -- The previous government's comprehensive blacklisting norms are a major hindrance to India's defense acquisition calendar.
- Pakistan army says Indian troops killed two civilians in Kashmir Press TV 26 Oct 2016 -- Pakistan's army says Indian troops have killed two civilians in the disputed region of Kashmir.
- Russia, India Make Progress in S-400 Systems, BrahMos Missiles, Ka-226 Choppers Sputnik 26 Oct 2016 -- The Russian and Indian defense ministries have been tasked with developing cooperation in the military-technical field, and have already made progress in talks on joint projects, including on S-400 air defense systems, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Wednesday.
- Ukraine Agrees to Provide India With Engines for Russian Built Krivak Frigate Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Krivak class frigates will be powered by M90FR gas turbines designed and built by Zorya-Mashproekt in Ukraine. Following the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Ukraine had stopped the supply of the engines.
- India to Install Modern Avionics in Mi-17 V5 helicopters Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- Amid rising militancy in its different regions, India intends to install more avionics that would boost its military strength in fighting militants in the dense forests of Kashmir and other dangerous areas.
- India's Home Grown War-Helicopter Undergoing Weapons Integration Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- The locally developed multi-role light combat helicopter is a major contender for India's defense exports in the near future.
- India Delays Launch of Dedicated South Asia Satellite Amid Tension With Pakistan Sputnik 24 Oct 2016 -- India's launch of a satellite on behalf of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) was announced two years ago by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the SAARC summit in Kathmandu. However, the launch date has been postponed indefinitely due to disagreements between India and its neighbor over ongoing violence in Kashmir.
- Indian forces kill at least 24 Maoist rebels Press TV 24 Oct 2016 -- Police forces in India have killed at least 24 Maoist rebels in a remote jungle region in the eastern state of Odisha.
- India to Test-Fire Brahmos, World's First Supersonic Cruise Missile, in February Sputnik 24 Oct 2016 -- The Indian Air Force is set to become the first to possess a cruise missile capable of breaking the sound barrier, with the successful integration of its Brahmos rockets with Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- World's Oldest Aircraft Carrier Started Last Journey Sputnik 23 Oct 2016 -- India's INS Viraat, world's oldest aircraft carrier, started its last voyage on Sunday before decommissioning, local media reported.
- Pakistan rejects India's claim about killing seven soldiers Press TV 21 Oct 2016 -- Pakistan has strongly rejected a claim by India that its forces have killed seven Pakistani soldiers along the so-called Line of Control (LoC).
- India to Buy Israeli Combat Radio, Promises to Procure Local Product in Future Sputnik 21 Oct 2016 -- India's Ministry of Defense wanted the Army to use locally developed tactical combat radio sets but the Army refused to do so arguing they were incompatible with the existing inventory of Israeli equipment.
- Purchase of Russian S-400 System Top Priority for Cash-Strapped India Sputnik 20 Oct 2016 -- India has signed many defense deals with Russia despite a strong financial crunch. Out of its deals it has accorded top priority to the purchase of the S-400 which it expects to be signed by the beginning of the next financial year.
- India-US Howitzer Deal Stuck Again, Needs to Clear Another Hurdle Sputnik 20 Oct 2016 -- India plans to deploy the M777A2 howitzers along the India-China border.
- India Deploys Improved Fast Attack Craft for Surveillance Amid Terror Threat Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Indian strategic establishments located in coastal areas received a high level threat from different terrorist groups.
- India Conducts Joint Military Exercise With China Sputnik 19 Oct 2016 -- Armies of both nations conducted joint military exercise in the region where a few months ago news reports suggested that India had stationed around 100 battle tanks to counter China.
- India Not Concerned About China-Pak Submarine Deal Sputnik 18 Oct 2016 -- China has officially admitted that it will supply eight attack submarines to Pakistan. Currently, Pakistan operates five French-made submarines while India operates 14.
- Sub-Standard: India Struggling to Make French Scorpenes Seaworthy Sputnik 18 Oct 2016 -- Delays in the development of indigenous AIP and an inability to find a main weapon has left Indian Navy's scorpene class submarines struggling.
- Indian Navy to Induct Seven Multirole Next Generation Corvettes From 2023 Sputnik 17 Oct 2016 -- The Indian Navy begins its preparation to build seven 'Next Generation Corvettes' at Indian shipyards that would be capable of offensive surface to surface missile attacks, and anti-submarine warfare operations.
- BRICS to Deepen Economic Engagement to Combat Terror VOA 16 Oct 2016 -- Amid fears of threats posed by protectionism, the BRICS countries have vowed to deepen economic engagement, tackle the global economic slowdown, and combat cross border terrorism.
- India's Modi blasts Pakistan for serving as 'mother-ship of terrorism' Press TV 16 Oct 2016 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has stepped up his drive to isolate Pakistan by highlighting the country's role in sponsoring terrorism.
- Russia, India Agree on Mutual Placement of Satellite Stations – Roscosmos Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- Russia's Roscosmos space corporation said that Russia and India agreed on mutual placement of Russia's Glonass satellite navigation system and Indian NavIC navigation system on the sidelines of the BRICS Goa summit.
- Russia, India Sign Defense Deals Worth Billions RFE/RL 15 Oct 2016 -- Russia and India have signed defense deals worth billions of dollars on missile systems, helicopters, and frigates at a meeting of the leaders of the two countries in the southern India state of Goa.
- Russia to Continue Assisting India in Developing Nuclear Energy Industry Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- Russia will go on providing assistance to India in developing nuclear energy industry, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Saturday.
- Russia, India Sign Agreement on Deliveries of S-400 Air Defense Systems Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- Russia and India signed Saturday a deal on the deliveries of S-400 Triumf air defense systems on the sidelines of the BRICS summit in Goa.
- India Deepens Ties with Russia, Highlights Cross-border Terror VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- India and Russia deepened economic and military cooperation, while New Delhi pressed its concerns about cross-border terrorism at a summit of the BRICS countries in the western Indian city of Goa.
- Russia, India to Sign S-400 Missile System Supplies Deal Sputnik 13 Oct 2016 -- Russia and India will sign a contract on delivering S-400 air defense systems during Vladimir Putin's visit.
- Russia set to seal deal with India on S-400 air defense system Press TV 13 Oct 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin is set to seal a deal with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the delivery of Moscow's most advanced air defense system to New Delhi, the Kremlin says.
- Slow and Steady: Indian Arms Exports Jump Six Folds Sputnik 12 Oct 2016 -- Aggressive diplomatic engagement along with export financing through line of credit has boosted India's presence in the arms trade with countries located in East Asia and the Indian Ocean region.
- Russia Will Continue to be Major Defense Partner With India Sputnik 12 Oct 2016 -- India will sign a defense deal worth $9 billion in next six months. More so, the coming months will witness some of the biggest defense deals signed between India and Russia ever.
- India to Float New Tender for Close Quarter Battle Carbines Sputnik 12 Oct 2016 -- The Indian Army has a shortage of 16,000 close quarter battle carbines after canceling a six year old tender won by the Israeli Weapon Industry.
- India Seeks Foreign Defense Firm to Build Domestic Single-Engine Fighters Sputnik 12 Oct 2016 -- As part of its ongoing efforts at military modernization, India is in pursuit of a single-engine fighter jet to be built domestically, but based on foreign designs, reflecting Prime Minister Narendra Modi's "Make in India" initiative.
- India to Ink Investment Deals Worth $400bln in Aerospace and Defense Sector Sputnik 12 Oct 2016 -- The Indian government has indicated that the country will spend more money on defense purchases.
- China Boosts Military Ties With India Amid Border Violence Sputnik 11 Oct 2016 -- China and India have announced they are to deepen their military-to-military ties after holding their first-ever joint tactical exercises earlier this year. This comes despite growing political tension between Beijing and New Delhi over border incursions across the India-China border.
- India Expedites Its Space Centric Warfare Program Sputnik 07 Oct 2016 -- The Indian government has started a new framework that will provide an edge to Indian armed forces in the Asian region.
- India to Seal Border With Pakistan by Late 2018 to Prevent Hostilities Sputnik 07 Oct 2016 -- Indian Interior Minister Rajnath Singh said that Indian government was considering "technical" options for fencing off the 651-mile-long border with Pakistan.
- Pakistan Will Meet Indian Aggression in Kashmir with 'Most Fitting Response' VOA 06 Oct 2016 -- Pakistan's army chief is warning India any military aggression in contested Kashmir will not go unpunished.
- Pakistan Premier's Envoy Sees India Tensions Easing VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- Recent contacts made by the national security advisors of Pakistan and India should help de-escalate tensions between the nuclear-armed rivals over the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir, a prominent Pakistani politician said Tuesday.
- Indian authorities ban Kashmir newspaper amid unrest Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- Authorities in Indian-administered Kashmir have banned the publication of a local newspaper after accusing it of inciting violence in the disputed Himalayan region.
- India to Start Production of Its Tejas Mark 1A Fighter Jet by 2021 Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- India has yet to produce a working 5th generation aircraft, but it's working towards it.
- India Mulls Rafale or Gripen Combat Aircraft Over F-16 Sputnik 04 Oct 2016 -- India is looking to fully produce and own the technology behind its next round of fighter jets to be produced in the country.
- French Firm Dassault Chooses India's Reliance Group in Rafale Aircraft Deal Sputnik 03 Oct 2016 -- Following the signing of an Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) with India, Dassault Aviation was required to choose an Indian partner for investing a half the amount of $8.7 bln Rafale deal under Offset Clause.
- India Adopts More Assertive Posture With Pakistan VOA 03 Oct 2016 -- The latest dispute between archrivals India and Pakistan centers on whether the Indian army took out several suspected terror camps just across the volatile border in Kashmir. While India claims its special forces carried out preemptive "surgical strikes" last week, Islamabad is adamant that they did not cross the line of control into Pakistan.
- Tensions rise on India-Pakistan border Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- India has detained a pigeon which was carrying a threatening message for Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- India's Lethal 1370 MPH 4.5 Generation Tejas Fighter Jet Completes Maiden Flight Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- India's elite indigenous fighter jet crosses a major benchmark this week ahead of being deemed combat ready providing the country with a masterful fighter jet at a fraction of the cost of Western fighter jets.
- India, Pakistan clash along disputed Kashmir border Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- India and Pakistan have again exchanged gun fire across the disputed Kashmir border, Pakistani military authorities say as tensions mount between the neighboring nuclear-armed rivals in south Asia.
- UN Chief Offers To Mediate Kashmir Dispute Between India, Pakistan RFE/RL 01 Oct 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon offered to act as a mediator between India and Pakistan to defuse escalating tensions over the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- Pakistan: SAARC Summit Postponed VOA 01 Oct 2016 -- Pakistan has announced it will postpone a November meeting of the heads of South Asian countries, blaming arch-rival India for derailing the process of regional cooperation.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list