Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- India Sets Sights on Obtaining 185,000 Assault Rifles to Replace Old Weapons Sputnik 29 Sep 2016 -- India is looking to the global market to procure basic rifles for the Indian Army, having failed to find a suitable domestic replacement for its 20-year old INSAS rifles.
- Indias' Punjab State Evacuates Border Districts Following Kashmir Strikes Sputnik 29 Sep 2016 -- The authorities of the Indian state of Punjab ordered to evacuate all villages located within a 10-kilometer (6-mile) distance from the 553-km-long border with Pakistan following the strikes, according to local media.
- Indian military enters Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, attacks "terror launch pads" People's Daily 29 Sep 2016 -- The Indian military Thursday claimed it had entered Pakistanon the other side of Line of Control (LoC) and carried out deadly "surgical strikes."
- Tensions rising as India 'hits targets in Pakistan' Press TV 29 Sep 2016 -- India says it has conducted "surgical strikes" across the de facto borderline dividing the disputed region of Kashmir against militants preparing to infiltrate, with Islamabad denying any such attack and saying instead that cross-border fire from India had killed two of its soldiers.
- India Launches Strikes Against Suspected Militants in Pakistan VOA 29 Sep 2016 -- India's army said Thursday that it launched "surgical strikes" against suspected militants along the border with Pakistan, but Islamabad rejected the claim, calling it an incident of cross-border firing.
- India to Roll Out Exclusive Repair Facility for Scorpene-Class Submarines Sputnik 28 Sep 2016 -- Undeterred by its recent data leak controversy, the Indian government will go ahead with plans to set up an exclusive repair facility for Scorpene-class submarines, in what is being seen as a major morale booster for French shipbuilder DCNS.
- India to Boycott South Asian Regional Summit in Pakistan VOA 27 Sep 2016 -- India announced Tuesday that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will not attend a regional summit to be held in Islamabad in November because of increasing cross-border attacks in the region.
- Russian, Indian Troops Use Orlan-10 Drones in Indra-2016 Drills Sputnik 27 Sep 2016 -- Russian and Indian troops deployed Orlan-10 drones to detect simulated illegal armed groups during joint drills.
- Russia Supplies Indian Navy With Over 100 Engines for MiG-29 Fighter Jets Sputnik 27 Sep 2016 -- Russia's United Engine Corporation has delivered over 100 turbojet engines for the Mikoyan MiG-29 (NATO reporting name Fulcrum) fighter aircraft used by the Indian Navy, the UEC said in a press release issued on Tuesday.
- Indian Border Security Forces Takes to the Skies to Counter Terror Sputnik 27 Sep 2016 -- India has indicated that it is in the market for a more weaponized version of Russia's MI-17 helicopters; some of these will be earmarked for the defense of the country's borders.
- India Hopes to Rely on Nuclear Power for 25% of its Energy Needs Within a Decade Sputnik 27 Sep 2016 -- India hopes to rely on a new set of nuclear reactors which make use of local technological innovations to provide one quarter of the nation's power at an affordable per unit cost.
- India Successfully Puts Eight Satellites Into Orbit Sputnik 26 Sep 2016 -- Indian rocket PSLV on Monday successfully put eight satellites from four countries into orbit, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) said in a statement.
- Indian Police Arrest Six Militants Planning Terror Attacks in Southern States Sputnik 26 Sep 2016 -- India's police arrested on Monday six members of radical Islamist group Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) planning terror acts in the country during a special anti-terrorist operation in the states of Assam and West Bengal, Joint Commissioner of Kolkata Police Vishal Garg said.
- India's Deployment of BrahMos Supersonic Stealth Missile is Making China Nervous Sputnik 25 Sep 2016 -- India's more hawkish foreign policy under Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with a major scoop up of international armaments has Beijing looking to their southern border with concern.
- India seals deal to buy 36 Rafale fighter jets from France Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- India has formally signed an agreement with France for the purchase of three dozen Rafale fighter jets worth a reported 8.8 billion dollars amid a long-running arms race with neighboring Pakistan.
- India, France Sign $8.7 Bln Contract on Delivery of 36 Rafale Jets Sputnik 23 Sep 2016 -- France and India signed a contract on the delivery of 36 French-made Rafale fighter jets, Indian media reported on Friday.
- India Signs $8.7B Deal With France for 36 Fighter Jets VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- India, which has emerged as the world's largest arms importer in the last five years, signed an $8.7 billion deal to buy 36 fighter jets from France - one of the biggest defense deals in recent years.
- India: Crucial Water Treaty With Pakistan Needs Mutual Trust VOA 23 Sep 2016 -- With tensions between India and Pakistan running high over an attack on an Indian air base, New Delhi has alluded to the possibility of revisiting a crucial water agreement with Pakistan, but a high-ranking U.N. official cautioned against getting caught up in "water-war rhetoric."
- India Hits Back at Pakistan, Calling Archrival 'Terrorist State' VOA 22 Sep 2016 -- India has reacted sharply to Pakistan's criticism of its suppression of protests in Kashmir, calling the archrival a "terrorist state."
- Indian Space Organization Gears Up for First Multi-Orbit Mission Sputnik 22 Sep 2016 -- ISRO hopes to outperform other stakeholders in the lightweight satellite launcher category by exhibiting its capability to carry out multi-orbit missions.
- Pakistan accuses India of 'unprecedented arms build-up' Press TV 22 Sep 2016 -- Pakistan has accused India of an "unprecedented arms build-up" along its border, warning that it would take all steps necessary to halt the move as tensions escalate between the two neighbors.
- India's Border Force Refutes Reports of Pakistani Troop Mobilization Sputnik 22 Sep 2016 -- Some Indian newspapers have reported the increased movement of Pakistani troops along the international border and line of control.
- India Worried by Increased Movement Across Pakistan Border After Kashmir Attack Sputnik 21 Sep 2016 -- Inspector General of Border Security Force stated that India is concerned about the increasing cross-border activities in the state of Jammu and Kashmir claimed by Pakistan in the wake of the recent attack on the army brigade headquarters in Uri.
- Listening to the Ocean: India Starts Undersea Project to Monitor Rival Subs Sputnik 21 Sep 2016 -- India intends to construct a seabed-based surveillance sensor array. This would monitor all submarine or naval ships patrolling the South China Sea and Indian Ocean Region.
- India Fast-Tracks Development of 26 Islands to Expand its Maritime Outreach Sputnik 21 Sep 2016 -- Internal security audit determines that hundreds of unmanned Islands could pose a major external threat to India.
- Indian, Pakistani soldiers exchange fire in Kashmir Press TV 20 Sep 2016 -- Indian and Pakistani soldiers have exchanged fire along the de facto border dividing the disputed region of Kashmir, Indian military sources say.
- Indian Army Eliminates 10 Militants Near Kashmir Sputnik 20 Sep 2016 -- In a massive search operation against infiltrated militants, the Indian Army eliminated 10 militants in the Lachipura area of Uri in Jammu and Kashmir.
- India Successfully Test-Fires Barak 8 Surface-to-Air Missile Sputnik 20 Sep 2016 -- The Indian Ministry of Defense on Tuesday successfully conducted a test launch of an Indo-Israeli surface-to-air missile dubbed Barak 8.
- India steps up military presence in Kashmir after attack Press TV 19 Sep 2016 -- India has stepped up patrols along the de facto border with Pakistan as it weighs a response to a raid on an army base in Kashmir that killed 17 soldiers and fueled tensions between nuclear-armed rivals.
- India Intensifies Tests of Surface to Air Missile Defense System Sputnik 19 Sep 2016 -- The long awaited missile system will significantly enhance the air defense capabilities of India.
- India's Rafale Fighter Jets to Serve as 'Strategic Delivery System' of Nukes Sputnik 19 Sep 2016 -- India pushed forward the completion of the long-delayed deal for the French fighter jets after determining that the aircraft fulfills a vital strategic purpose – the delivery of nuclear weapons.
- Militants attack India base in Kashmir, kill 17: India army source Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Militants in the Indian-administered Kashmir have reportedly attacked an army headquarters in the region's north, near the de facto border with Pakistan, killing at least 17 troops.
- India Vows Punishment For Kashmir Base Attack RFE/RL 18 Sep 2016 -- India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi has vowed to punish those responsible for what he called a "despicable" and "cowardly" attack on an army base in Indian-administered Kashmir.
- 17 Indian Soldiers Killed in Militant Attack in Indian Kashmir VOA 18 Sep 2016 -- Seventeen Indian soldiers have been killed and nearly 20 wounded in the deadliest attack mounted by militants in two decades on an Indian army base in Kashmir, close to the border with Pakistan.
- Indian minister says Pakistan 'terrorist state' Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh has called arch-rival Pakistan a "terrorist state" in the wake of an attack on an army base in Kashmir, where nearly 20 Indian soldiers were killed.
- India, Nepal Restore Friendlier Ties VOA 16 Sep 2016 -- India and Nepal have put diplomatic relations, that had frayed in the past year, back on track during a visit to New Delhi by Nepal's new prime minister, Pushpa Kamal Dahal, popularly known as Prachanda.
- Indian Delegation to Visit Russia for Leasing Yasen Class Submarine Sputnik 15 Sep 2016 -- India is interested in renting the multi-purpose Project 885 Yasen class submarine from Russia. This is being seen as a sign of another forthcoming India-Russia collaborative venture for the construction of six new SSN for Indian Navy.
- India's Most Advanced Destroyer to be Fitted With Barak 8 and BrahMos Missiles Sputnik 15 Sep 2016 -- INS Mormugao has 65 % local component and is touted as the most advanced guided missile destroyer to be built by the Indian Navy.
- India Coaxes France Into Selling its Air-to-Air Missile Equipped Rafale Sputnik 15 Sep 2016 -- Some procedural work could take little more time for signing of 36 Rafale deal between India and France
- Japan-India Nexus in South China Sea 'Disgraceful' Says China Sputnik 14 Sep 2016 -- Japan is interested in reviving an almost 'dead deal' regarding the sale of 12 amphibious aircraft to India to counter Chinese actions in the South China Sea.
- Indian forces kill two protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Two people have been killed in fresh clashes between Indian forces and pro-independence protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- India, China Hold Talks on Disarmament and Non-Proliferation Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- India and China held a fresh round of arms control consultations in New Delhi. The talks covered issues of mutual interest in the area of disarmament and non-proliferation.
- Pakistan Refuses Fresh Calls for Afghan Trade with India Through Land Routes VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- Pakistan has rejected fresh calls by Afghanistan to allow the conflict-ridden landlocked country to engage in direct trade with India through its land routes, citing existing official arrangements between Islamabad and Kabul.
- Japan Coast Guard Detects Four Chinese Ships Near E China Sea Disputed Islands Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- Four Chinese ships entered Japanese territorial waters on Sunday near the disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea, the Japan Coast Guard said.
- Chinese vessels sail near disputed islands in East China Sea: Japan Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Four Chinese ships have sailed near islands in the East China Sea that are administered by Japan but also claimed by Beijing, Tokyo says.
- Chinese Coastguard Vessels Patrol Waters Near Disputed Islands in East China Sea Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- Several Chinese coastguard vessels are patrolling the waters near a disputed group of islands in the East China Sea, a local broadcaster reported Sunday.
- 2 killed, 25 injured in fresh clashes in Indian Kashmir Press TV 10 Sep 2016 -- Renewed scuffles have broken out between government forces and pro-independence protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir, leaving two people dead and at least 25 others wounded.
- India-Russia to Step Up Talks on Co-Production of Kamov Helicopters Sputnik 09 Sep 2016 -- India and Russia will soon complete the final negotiation process for the co-production of Kamov choppers.
- India Seeks More Than $200 Billion to Expand Its Arsenal Sputnik 09 Sep 2016 -- For India to meet equipment and weapons requirements necessary to expand its military capabilities in the next eleven years the country will need about $233 billion. There is some doubt as to whether the funds can be raised in that time.
- India May Purchase Four Stealth Frigates From Russia Worth $4Bln Sputnik 08 Sep 2016 -- Russia and India are discussing the purchase of four stealth frigates for the Indian Navy.
- India Set to Bolster Its Defense Ties With Russia Sputnik 07 Sep 2016 -- India-Russia defense ties are set for boost as the Indian defense ministry is stepping up the negotiations for the impending India-Russia defense deals.
- ISRO to Use Indigenous Cryogenic Engine to Launch Advanced Weather Satellite Sputnik 07 Sep 2016 -- The advanced weather satellite will improve night imaging capabilities and will play an important role in searching for distressed naval vessels.
- Russia Supplied India With $65Bln Worth of Military Vehicles Since 1960 Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- Sergey Goreslavsky, the Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport's deputy director said that the India army is equipped with a large number of vehicles produced in Russia as well as domestically-manufactured vehicles, constructed using Russian technology.
- Ready for Takeoff: India's First Helicopter in Years Performs Test Flight Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- India urgently needs around 400 light utility helicopters for its armed forces. Russia and India have agreed to manufacture Kamov-226 LUHs in India and a detailed agreement likely to be signed very soon.
- Indian Armed Forces to Increase BrahMos Purchases in Coming Years Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles have no equivalent in the world today, according to a spokesman for the manufacturing firm BrahMos Aerospace Limited.
- India Arms Myanmar to Secure Northeastern Border Sputnik 06 Sep 2016 -- Forging ahead in its effort to quell an insurgency of more than five decades in the north eastern part of the country, the Indian Government has started supplying advanced weaponry and electronics to the Myanmar Army.
- Modi Pulls Hollande Aside at G-20 Meet and Quizzes Him on Scorpene Sub Data Leak Sputnik 05 Sep 2016 -- India had earlier chosen to downplay the issue by denying any possible compromise to national security due to the leak.
- Taliban Warns India Over Military Aid to Kabul VOA 04 Sep 2016 -- The Taliban is urging India to stop giving lethal military equipment to the Afghan government, condemning it as a "clear hostility" towards the war-torn nation.
- India's Deal for 36 Dassault Rafale Stealth Fighter Jets Reaches Final Phase Sputnik 03 Sep 2016 -- The Rafale fighter jet is believed to be the most dangerous warplane in the skies today combining semi-stealth capabilities with unparalleled thrust maneuvering providing air superiority.
- India Launches Domestic Design Bureau to Cut Imports of Arms and Ammo Sputnik 01 Sep 2016 -- India has taken a big leap forward toward reducing defense equipment imports, by launching its own design wing.
- India Rejects DCNS' Offer to Set Up Subsidiary With 100% Direct Investment Sputnik 01 Sep 2016 -- French ship-building Company DCNS has failed to impress Indian authorities with its proposal to set up a subsidiary in India under the 100% foreign direct investment option.
- India Wants to Buy Russian Kalibr Cruise Missiles Sputnik 01 Sep 2016 -- India plans to purchase the Kalibr cruise missiles from Russia, the Russian Izvestia newspaper reports.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list