Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- Buckshot: India's Space Agency to Launch 68 Satellites in One Mission Sputnik 31 Aug 2016 -- The satellites are mainly meant for conducting experiments, data generation, image-capturing and transmitting signals for communications, broadcasting, remote-sensing, earth observation and weather conditions.
- Remarks With Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker, Indian Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj, and Indian Minister of Commerce Nirmala Sitharaman at the Joint S&CD Opening Plenary Session US Dept. of State 30 Aug 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- India Lifts Curfew In Most Of Kashmir; Violence Continues RFE/RL 30 Aug 2016 -- Indian authorities lifted a 52-day-long curfew in Kashmir on August 29, but reimposed it hours later in most of Srinagar, the region's main city, after anti-India protests and clashes erupted in several neighborhoods.
- India and Russia to Jointly Set Up $300 Million Logistics Hub for Su30MKI Sputnik 30 Aug 2016 -- A formal agreement between India and Russia is likely to be signed by October this year.
- Carter Hosts Indian Counterpart, Praises Strong Bilateral Ties AFPS 29 Aug 2016 -- With strong cooperation in defense and technology and in peace and security, the U.S.-India relationship is "destined to be one of the defining partnerships of the 21st century," Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today.
- U.S.-India Joint Statement on the visit of Minister of Defence Manohar Parrikar to the United States DoD 29 Aug 2016 -- At the invitation of U.S. Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter, Minister of Defence of India Manohar Parrikar made his second official visit to the United States Aug. 29-31.
- India Plans to Acquire Predator Drones from the United States to Combat Terror Sputnik 29 Aug 2016 -- India's Defense Minister visits Washington on Monday and at the top of his wish list is to push the Obama administration to provide New Delhi with lethal drone technology – a request defense analysts believe will be granted.
- Indian Defense Minister Signs Major Logistics Agreement With Pentagon VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- The U.S. and India have signed a key logistics agreement that will enable U.S. and Indian forces to use each other's bases for repair and replenishment of supplies.
- Critical Data for Indian and Australian Submarines Compromised by Major Hack Sputnik 28 Aug 2016 -- French ship building company DCNS has lost some 20,000 pages regarding their Scorpene-class submarine, compromising contracts with India and Australia.
- Indian forces kill another protester in Kashmir Press TV 26 Aug 2016 -- Indian government forces have killed another protester in the town of Pulwama in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- Indian Defense Minister Tries to Allay Concerns Over Scorpene Sub Data Leak Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- The information leak involving documents about the construction of Scorpene-class submarines is unlikely to have grave consequences, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Friday.
- India Promises Substitute for Pellet Guns that Blinded Hundreds of Kashmiri Protestors VOA 25 Aug 2016 -- India's home minister on a visit to Kashmir said substitutes will soon be found for pellet guns that have blinded or caused severe eye injuries to hundreds of people during the worst protests to have wracked the Himalayan region in six years.
- India-US Howitzer Deal Likely to Be Delayed Once Again Sputnik 25 Aug 2016 -- India plans to deploy the M777A2 howitzers along the Indo-China border.
- India Downplays Data Leak on Scorpene Class Subs, Denying 'Security Compromise' Sputnik 25 Aug 2016 -- India has asked the French government to investigate the incident with urgency.
- Submarine Data Leak Could be Setback for Indian Navy VOA 25 Aug 2016 -- A massive leak of secret data relating to the combat capabilities of submarines being built for the Indian navy by a French shipbuilder could delay their induction as India investigates the huge security breach.
- China expresses concern about India missiles on border Press TV 25 Aug 2016 -- China has expressed concern about India's plans to put advanced missiles along the border between the two countries.
- India May Spend Over $220 Bln to Buy Weapons in Next Decade - Reports Sputnik 24 Aug 2016 -- The Indian government may spend $223 billion by 2027 to acquire new weapon systems in order to increase the military preparedness of the country's Armed Forces, according to the NDTV broadcaster.
- India Orders Detailed Inquiry Into Sensitive Data Leak of Scorpene Sub Plans Sputnik 24 Aug 2016 -- An initial assessment by the Indian Navy confirmed that the leak was very serious.
- Sharing Of Military Bases Between India and US to Soon Become Reality Sputnik 23 Aug 2016 -- As India is all set to conclude a security deal with the US, experts warn it could prove dangerous to the existing regional security alliance.
- India to Purchase 36 Dassault Rafale Stealth Fighter Jets from France Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- The fighter jet is considered by some analysts to be the most lethal warplane hovering the skies today due to its elite stealth capabilities making it comparable to a 5th generation combat aircraft.
- Turkey Asks India to Monitor Gulen Supporters Sputnik 19 Aug 2016 -- Turkish Foreign Minister has asked India to monitor US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen's supporters in India and shut down Gluen-linked organizations, sources in the Indian Ministry of External Affairs told Sputnik on Friday.
- Indian Air Force's Most Lethal Fighter Jet Lands Just 100 km From China Sputnik 19 Aug 2016 -- Pasighat Advanced Landing Ground is a strategic asset and will be one of the operating bases under the Eastern Air Command capable of operating all types of aircraft and helicopters.
- Gunmen attack Indian army convoy in Kashmir, kill 3 Press TV 17 Aug 2016 -- Unknown gunmen have killed two soldiers and a police officer in Indian-administered Kashmir amid heightened tensions in the disputed Himalayan region.
- UN rights chief appeals to India and Pakistan for 'full and unhindered' access to Kashmir UN News 17 Aug 2016 -- Expressing deep regret at the failure of Indian and Pakistani authorities to grant the United Nations Human Rights Office (OHCHR) access to Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir and Pakistan-administered Kashmir respectively, the UN rights chief today voiced concern about recent allegations of serious violations and reiterated a request for access to the region.
- India's 'Great Wall' Against China Along Border Region Sputnik 17 Aug 2016 -- India is slowly and steadily beefing up military capabilities along the Chinese border.
- Indian Government Holds High Level Security Meeting as Kashmir Tensions Grow Sputnik 17 Aug 2016 -- The death of a popular rebel leader six weeks ago has spurred Kashmiris to take to the streets in protest of the Indian ruling government.
- Indian forces clash with anti-India protesters in Kashmir, kill five Press TV 16 Aug 2016 -- Five people have been killed in clashes between Indian government forces and pro-independence protesters in the Indian-administered Kashmir.
- India to Upgrade Russian-Made Su-30 Fighter Jets Amid Delay in Rafale Deal Sputnik 16 Aug 2016 -- India has finalized a plan to modernize their fleet of Su-30 fighter aircrafts, as a deal with Rafale has yet to be signed and the Indian Air Force urgently needs a stealth aircraft.
- Indian police commander, seven fighters killed in Kashmir gun battles Press TV 15 Aug 2016 -- A paramilitary police commander and seven suspected pro-independence fighters have been killed in a series of gun battles across Indian-administered Kashmir.
- India Accuses Pakistan of Ceasefire Violations First Time in 4 Months Sputnik 14 Aug 2016 -- According to local media reports, India accused Pakistan of violating the ceasefire in Kashmir for the first time in four month.
- India Ready for Dialogue With Pakistan, Demands to Stop Supporting Terrorists Sputnik 14 Aug 2016 -- Ministry of External Affairs spokesman said that India welcomes dialogue with Pakistan but demands that Islamabad put an end to its support of terrorist organizations.
- Indian police expand curfew in Kashmir to block protest rally Press TV 12 Aug 2016 -- Indian authorities have expanded a curfew to areas across the disputed Kashmir region in an effort aimed at blocking a march by pro-independence activists.
- India blames Pakistan for rise of tension in Kashmir Press TV 12 Aug 2016 -- India blamed Pakistan Friday for the rise of tension in Indian-controlled Kashmir as pressure mounts on New Delhi to cool down the situation.
- Pakistan Ready to Work Out Bilateral Agreement on Nuclear Test Ban With India Sputnik 12 Aug 2016 -- Pakistani prime minister's Adviser on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz said that Pakistan is ready to consider the transformation of its unilateral moratorium into the bilateral agreement with India on banning nuclear testing.
- India Rejects SAAB's Offer to Develop Tejas MK1A Aircraft Sputnik 12 Aug 2016 -- Swedish defense firm SAAB had offered to set up a production unit in India to collaborate with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited for the co-development of the Tejas MK1A fighter aircraft
- French Firm DCNS Fails to Find Takers in India for Its AIPS Technology Sputnik 12 Aug 2016 -- Sources from India's Ministry of Defense say that the AIPS technology proposed by the DCNS is similar to what is being used in Scorpene class submarines.
- Pakistan-based Rebel Leader Warns India Over Kashmir Violence VOA 11 Aug 2016 -- The head of a Pakistan-based militant group fighting Indian rule in Kashmir has warned that his followers will storm the cease-fire line that divides the region unless New Delhi ends its current wave of violence against Kashmiris.
- Peace, unity in Kashmir everyone's priority, Modi says Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reacted to the recent violence in Indian-controlled Kashmir, saying the volatile Himalayan region deserves more government attention.
- Over 1,000 protesters arrested in Indian-administered Kashmir Press TV 08 Aug 2016 -- Indian police have arrested more than 10,000 protesters in the Indian-administered Kashmir as the government continues its crackdown to stem violent protests in the Himalayan region.
- Two Indian border guards, one fighter killed in Kashmir Press TV 08 Aug 2016 -- Clashes have broken out between Indian troops and militants in Kashmir, leaving two border guards and a fighter dead.
- Turkey Urges India to Shut Down Gulen-Connected Institutions Sputnik 08 Aug 2016 -- Ankara urged Delhi to shut down institutions connected with Fethullah Gulen following a thwarted coup.
- India to Provide Cost Incentives to Use Homemade Version of GPS Sputnik 08 Aug 2016 -- According to official sources, India's government is exploring several options, including reduced charges for air navigation services.
- Su-30MKI With BrahMos Missiles May Join Ranks of Indian Army in Early 2017 Sputnik 08 Aug 2016 -- Russian-designed Sukhoi Su-30MKI (Flanker-H) multirole fighters integrated with Russian-Indian BrahMos cruise missiles are expected to go into service of the Indian Air Force in the first four months of 2017, local media reported Monday.
- India to Buy Three Admiral Grigorovich Guided Missile Battleships from Russia Sputnik 07 Aug 2016 -- Speculation persists that the deal resulted from the export ban imposed in the wake of the Ukrainian conflict that left Russia to find a replacement turbine engine for the battle frigate.
- India to Test BrahMos Supersonic Nuclear-Capable Cruise Missiles from Su-30s Sputnik 07 Aug 2016 -- The joint Indo-Russian program will provide New Delhi with a high-flying nuclear deterrent ensuring the continued safety and security of the Indian people despite increased regional tension.
- Kashmir curfew extended to prevent anti-India rallies Press TV 05 Aug 2016 -- New Delhi has extended curfew in several parts of Indian-controlled Kashmir for a 28th day in an attempt to prevent more pro-independence protests across the disputed Himalayan region.
- India, Russia Sign $300Mln Deal on Upgrade of 10 Ka-28 Helicopters - Indian Navy Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- According to navy spokesman, Indian Navy and Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport signed a deal worth nearly $300 million to modernize 10 Russia-produced Ka-28 anti-submarine helicopters.
- India Eyeing Deal With Russia to Buy Project 21300C Rescue Ship Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- India is considering buying Russian ships and submarines, a source close to the Indian Defense Ministry told RIA Novosti on Thursday.
- Hindu Groups Oppose Entry of Islamic Finance in India VOA 04 Aug 2016 -- A Sharia-compliant international bank's plan to launch its business in India is facing opposition from Hindu groups that say an Islamic bank should not be allowed to operate in a secular country.
- Russia to sell refueling planes to India Press TV 04 Aug 2016 -- Russian media say the country is in talks with India over selling six Ilyushin transport aircraft to the country.
- Indian Government Approves Sending BrahMos Cruise Missiles to Chinese Border Sputnik 03 Aug 2016 -- The Indian government has approved placing of BrahMos missiles at the northeastern border with China, local media reported Wednesday.
- Charity Linked to Terrorism Tries Aid Delivery to Indian Kashmir VOA 03 Aug 2016 -- Hundreds of activists, blocked while trying to deliver an Islamist charitable organization's relief supplies and ambulances from Pakistan to India in the disputed Kashmir region, staged a sit-in Wednesday in protest.
- France, India Move in on Deal for Dozens of Rafale Fighter Jets Sputnik 03 Aug 2016 -- India and France are now one step closer to making a deal on the procurement of 36 Rafale jet fighters, according to Indian Minister of Defense Manohar Parrikar.
- India Considers Buying Russian Il-78 MRTT After Ending Six Year Old Airbus Deal Sputnik 01 Aug 2016 -- High costs and pending inquiries against Airbus has forced India to abort a 2 billion dollar deal with Airbus. Sources say a contract for Russian Ilyusin-78 (IL-78) aircraft is likely to be signed by October of this year.
- India-France Rafale Jets Deal Needs Cabinet's Security Committee Approval Sputnik 01 Aug 2016 -- Long-awaited deal on Rafale fighter jets between Paris and New Delhi is waiting for the clearance by the India's Cabinet Committee on Security Affairs, a source in the Indian Defense Ministry told Sputnik on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list