Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- Indian MPs Warn Government to Take Chinese Military Incursion Seriously Sputnik 30 Jul 2016 -- While India's Defense Minister has described Chinese troops' latest intrusion into Uttarakhand as merely a "transgression", members of parliament have warned that the matter should not be taken lightly.
- India Upgrades Mirage 2000 Aircraft in Record Time Sputnik 29 Jul 2016 -- The new configuration covers the integration of specific Indian weapons, sensors and an electronic warfare system.
- Russia in Talks With India on Delivering 3 New Guided Missile Frigates Sputnik 29 Jul 2016 -- Russia and India are discussing a delivery of three new guided missile frigates for the Indian Navy, the deputy chief of the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) said Friday.
- Boeing Steers Clear of Compliance With $4.1 Bln Indian Air Force Deal Sputnik 28 Jul 2016 -- India alleges that Boeing has categorically failed to provide the training and infrastructural services that it had agreed to deliver as part of a deal for the purchase of ten C-17 heavy-lifting transport aircraft.
- Indian Defense Military Buyers to Go Back to Negotiating School Sputnik 28 Jul 2016 -- India finds itself in a tight spot as many agreements pertaining to defense procurement are yet to be translated into actual deals, resulting in negotiators losing their confidence.
- Army uses graphic drones in borders: commander IRNA 28 Jul 2016 -- Commander of Ground Force of the Iranian Army said the graphic drones and systems are being used in the country's borders, stressing that it has turned Iran's borders into one of the safest ones in the region.
- Chinese Incursion in Indian State of Uttarakhand Sputnik 27 Jul 2016 -- Chinese troops entered the state of Uttarakhand last week, the government confirmed on Wednesday.
- India, Russia Make Conscious Efforts to Increase Defense Ties Sputnik 27 Jul 2016 -- After several years of frozen relations, a coming thaw shows a veritable increase in Indian-Russian defense ties.
- India Orders Four More Maritime Spy Jets Sputnik 27 Jul 2016 -- On the first day of his India visit, U.S. Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition Frank Kendall signed a deal with India for delivery of four more Boeing P-81 long range maritime spy planes.
- India Not Even Discussing Joint Patrol in South China Sea With US Sputnik 26 Jul 2016 -- India has no plans to hold joint naval patrols with the United States in the disputed South China Sea and is committed to joining an international military effort only under the United Nations flag.
- India Hopes Nepal PM Resignation Will Pave Way for Warmer Ties VOA 25 Jul 2016 -- India hopes the resignation of Nepal's Prime Minister, K.P. Oli, will pave the way for a restoration of warm ties with New Delhi.
- Clashes in Kashmir Risk Taking India-Pakistan Back to Brink of Nuclear War Sputnik 24 Jul 2016 -- The long ignored suffering of the Kashmiri people carries with it the world's greatest risk of full-scale nuclear war between two long-standing adversaries.
- Search for missing India plane enters third day Press TV 24 Jul 2016 -- A search operation in the Bay of Bengal for an Indian military plane that went missing earlier on Friday has entered its third day.
- Search underway for missing Indian air force plane Press TV 23 Jul 2016 -- India is still searching for an air force transport aircraft that disappeared over the Bay of Bengal with 29 people on board, with no indication of what happened to the ill-fated plane or sign of wreckage.
- India air force plane goes missing with 29 on board Press TV 22 Jul 2016 -- The Indian military says an air force plane with 29 passengers on board has gone missing over the Bay of Bengal, prompting a search and rescue operation in the area.
- Massive Search Operation Launched for Missing Indian Air Force Jet Sputnik 22 Jul 2016 -- India has launched a massive search operation in the Bay of Bengal for a missing AN 32 Indian Air Force plane. A dozen ships have been launched to look for the aircraft.
- India Set to Test Domestically-Produced Scramjet Engine in Third Quarter Sputnik 22 Jul 2016 -- In a bid to position itself as a competitive provider of launch services, India has developed a new rocket capable of doing the job faster and at a lower cost.
- India Constructs Special Dock to Build High-Capacity Aircraft Carriers Sputnik 22 Jul 2016 -- The new dock will not only serve a military purpose, but will also play an important role in fulfilling India's energy requirements.
- India Nuclear Suppliers Group Membership Depends on Signing NPT Sputnik 22 Jul 2016 -- No country which is not a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) can become a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said Thursday.
- India Moves Nearly One Hundred Tanks, Troops to Chinese Border Sputnik 21 Jul 2016 -- With tensions rising between China and India, New Delhi has deployed nearly 100 tanks to its eastern border.
- India's Counterterrorism Agency Files Charges Against 16 Daesh Suspects Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- India's National Investigation Agency (NIA) has filed charges against 16 suspected Daesh operatives from across the country who have already been arrested; they have been accused of recruiting for the self-proclaimed Islamic State and financing their radicalization and training.
- India Continues to Push China to Support Its Nuclear Supply Group Bid Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- India will continue to engage China in order to obtain support for its inclusion in the Nuclear Suppliers Group, External Affairs of India, Sushma Swaraj said in the Parliament.
- India and US Agree to Enhance Cooperation at Sea Sputnik 20 Jul 2016 -- India and the US have agreed to strengthen their cooperation in the maritime sector during Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari's visit to the US.
- Indian forces open fire on Kashmiri protesters, kill 3 Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- At least three people have been killed as Indian forces opened fire on the protesters who were out on the streets in defiance of a curfew in the Indian-controlled Kashmir region.
- Maoist rebels kill 10 Indian paramilitary soldiers in ambush Press TV 19 Jul 2016 -- Maoist rebels have killed at least 10 paramilitary soldiers in an ambush in eastern India, police sources say.
- India to Build Nearly 40 Strategic Roads Along Chinese Border by 2020 Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- India seems to be in no mood to lag behind China in the development of roads along the countries' mutual border.
- India Set to Miss Another Promise Over Rafale Fighter Jet Deal Sputnik 19 Jul 2016 -- India's deal with France to purchase Rafale fighter planes is taking more time than expected as the two sides have yet to reconcile their differences over a number of issues related to the deal.
- India to Build Airfield in Parma Valley Sputnik 18 Jul 2016 -- India is poised to set up yet another Advanced Landing Ground in Ladakh with the aim of blocking reinforcements to enemy troops through the Western Highway in a war scenario.
- India closes Kashmir newspapers amid unrest Press TV 17 Jul 2016 -- Authorities in Indian-administered Kashmir have shut down newspaper offices and printing presses as part of an information blackout following a week of unrest in the disputed region.
- India's Deal with Japan on US-2 Amphibious Aircraft is Almost 'Dead' Sputnik 15 Jul 2016 -- India and Japan have failed to iron out their differences on the ShinMaywa US-2 amphibious aircraft deal but both sides are refraining from unilaterally calling it off.
- Kashmir remains under curfew amid tensions Press TV 15 Jul 2016 -- Most parts of the Indian-administered Kashmir remain under curfew a week after the killing of a popular militant leader in the disputed Himalayan region.
- South China Sea Deployment: India Sends Three Naval Ships to Malaysia Sputnik 15 Jul 2016 -- The Indian Naval Ships Sahyadri, Shakti and Kirch have arrived at the port of Kelang in Malaysia. The naval Ships likely to conduct exercises with the Royal Malaysian Navy.
- India Achieves Major Breakthrough in Artillery Gun Systems Sputnik 15 Jul 2016 -- India's fully domestically produced integrated gun system is being seen as a major shot in the arm for Indian artillery, which has not had any modernization since Bofors gun was acquired in 1987.
- India Assisting Philippines in Getting Warship to Patrol South China Sea Sputnik 14 Jul 2016 -- India has dedicated itself to meeting the Philippines' request to provide it with a warship so that it may patrol the South China Sea.
- Pakistani Intelligence Honey-Trapped Indian Air Force Official Sputnik 13 Jul 2016 -- Pakistani intelligence agency ISI and terror outfit JuD used a fake Facebook profile to honey trap an Indian Air Force official, coaxing him to reveal secrets.
- Death Toll Rises To 32 In Worst Kashmir Violence Since 2010 RFE/RL 13 Jul 2016 -- India and Pakistan traded charges and the United Nations called for restraint on July 12 as the death toll from clashes between protesters and police in the disputed Kashmir region rose to at least 32.
- Indian PM Appeals for Peace in Kashmir VOA 12 Jul 2016 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has appealed for calm in Indian Kashmir, which has been wracked with three days of violent protests.
- India Treads Lightly Following UN Rejection of Chinese Claims Sputnik 12 Jul 2016 -- The Indian response to an international court decision regarding the South China Sea has been cautious. India's government has responded by saying that they are studying it carefully.
- Valley of Guns: India's New Government Sweating its Kashmir Conundrum Sputnik 12 Jul 2016 -- The Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir has reached a boiling point; more than two dozen have died and around 1,300 have been injured in clashes between hostile teens and security forces.
- France Puts Off India by Proposing New Conditions for Rafale Deal Sputnik 12 Jul 2016 -- Inter-government talks between India and France on the purchase of Rafale fighter planes have hit another major roadblock as France has reportedly proposed an arrangement that India is most likely to reject outright.
- India May Build Up Its Military Power With Russia's Shtorm Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 12 Jul 2016 -- Russia has offered its latest aircraft carrier design, Project 23000E Shtorm to the Indians. That's according to a senior Indian Navy official speaking to Defense News.
- India to Lease One More Akula-Class Nuclear Sub From Russian Navy Sputnik 12 Jul 2016 -- India agreed to lease the second Akula-class submarine from the Russian Navy, local media reported Tuesday citing a source in the military.
- Indian Gov't to Create All-Female Battalion Sputnik 05 Jul 2016 -- India's Defense Minister offered to strengthen the involvement of women in the army, creating a possibility for them to enter the country's main military institutions and serve onboard warships.
- 'The Best Aircraft I've Flown': India's Pilots Cheer 1370mph Tejas Fighter Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- The indigenous jet comes in at about one-tenth of the unit cost of an American made fighter jet with combat specifics that wowed the India's most venerable fighter pilots.
- China Sea Dispute Drives Interest in India's Anti-ship Missile VOA 01 Jul 2016 -- India's plans to sell advanced missile systems to countries like Vietnam got a boost this week after New Delhi joined an exclusive global club of countries controlling the export of missile technology.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list