Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- Going Sky-High: India Successfully Deploys Very Own GPS-Like System Sputnik 28 Apr 2016 -- India has successfully launched and put into orbit its seventh and final navigation satellite of the regional navigation system - IRNSS-1G.
- Russia, India Sign Agreement on S-400 Defense Systems Deliveries - Official Sputnik 27 Apr 2016 -- New Delhi and Moscow have signed an agreement on the deliveries of S-400 air defense systems, Indian Minister of State Rao Inderjit Singh said Wednesday.
- India Urges Pakistan To Quickly Prosecute Militants For Air Base Attack RFE/RL 27 Apr 2016 -- India has urged Pakistan to make "early and visible" progress in prosecuting militants responsible for an attack on an Indian air base as the two sides resumed talks on April 26.
- Hanging in the Balance: India-France Talks on Rafale 'Still Underway' Sputnik 26 Apr 2016 -- The Indian defense minister clarifies that negotiations on the purchase of the French combat aircraft Rafale are still ongoing.
- India Pushes Pakistan to Clamp Down on Terrorism VOA 26 Apr 2016 -- India's top diplomat pressed his Pakistani counterpart on Tuesday to acknowledge and combat terrorism aimed at the Indian state, and to make "visible progress" on investigating violence.
- Chinese premier underlines peaceful settlement of boundary issues with India People's Daily 21 Apr 2016 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang(R) meets with India's National Security Adviser Ajit Doval in Beijing, who attended the 19th round of talks between Chinese and Indian special representatives on boundary issues, April 21, 2016.
- Spare No Expense: Indian Navy Set to Boost Maritime Preparedness Sputnik 21 Apr 2016 -- Raising serious concern over India's current state of maritime preparedness, the Indian Navy has nudged the Government to increase expenditure on strengthening its fleet of ships submarines and aircraft. This opens immense opportunities for foreign defense firms to collaborate with Indian manufacturers in equipping the Indian Navy.
- India Pushes For Faster Border Rapprochement with China Sputnik 21 Apr 2016 -- India is aggressively pursuing a resolution of the border conflict with China. In fact, in a strategic shift India conveyed to China recently that solving the border problem is a priority to maintain cordial and smooth relations between the two countries.
- India to Induct 4th Regiment of BrahMos Cruise Missiles in 2 Weeks Sputnik 21 Apr 2016 -- India will induct the fourth regiment of the BrahMos cruise missiles in two weeks.
- India-France Deal on Rafale Jets on Final Lap – Defense Minister Sputnik 21 Apr 2016 -- India and France still need to iron out some differences before they sign a long-awaited deal on Rafale fighter jets, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said Thursday.
- First Export Contract for BrahMos Cruise Missiles to Be Signed in 2016 Sputnik 20 Apr 2016 -- An Asian-Pacific country will sign a contract on the delivery of Russian-Indian BrahMos cruise missiles by the end of 2016.
- Indian Navy Goes Nuclear: Country's First Nuke Sub Undergoing Sea Tests Sputnik 18 Apr 2016 -- Arihant, India's first armed nuclear submarine is currently undergoing sea trials, according to a top naval official.
- Ocean Economy: India Flexing Muscles in Indian Ocean and Beyond Sputnik 15 Apr 2016 -- India is increasing its sphere of influence in the Indian Ocean and beyond for geo-strategic and commercial interests. In fact, India is allying with the US, Japan, Australia and other countries to achieve its objective of naval supremacy.
- Carter: U.S.-India Relationship Will Define 21st Century AFPS 13 Apr 2016 -- The American-Indian relationship is one that will define the 21st century, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said yesterday in New Delhi.
- Joint Press Conference with Secretary Carter and Minister Parrikar in New Delhi, India DoD 13 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- India, U.S. to sign pact for access to each other's military bases People's Daily 12 Apr 2016 -- India Tuesday said that it will soon sign a logistics supply pact with the United States, putting to rest all the speculation over the much-awaited agreement.
- Pakistan Accuses India of Plotting Against Deal With China VOA 12 Apr 2016 -- Pakistan's military chief on Tuesday accused India's intelligence agency of planning subversive activities against his country's recently launched multi-billion-dollar economic cooperation agreement with China.
- Carter Visit Underscores 'Robust and Deepening' U.S.-India Defense Relationship AFPS 12 Apr 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter's visit to India this week -- his fourth meeting with Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar within a year -- demonstrates the regular ministerial-level oversight of the robust and deepening bilateral defense relationship between the two nations, DoD officials said in a joint U.S.-Indian statement released today.
- India-United States Joint Statement on the visit of Secretary of Defense Carter to India April 10-13, 2016 DoD 12 Apr 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Dr. Ashton Carter is on an official visit to India at the invitation of Raksha Mantri Shri Manohar Parrikar from April 10-13. Raksha Mantri hosted Secretary Carter in Goa.
- US-India Military Logistics Agreement Still Not Finalized VOA 12 Apr 2016 -- The U.S. and India have agreed "in principle" to share military logistics, but a formal agreement will not be finalized for "the next few weeks," Secretary of Defense Ash Carter said Tuesday.
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter in Goa, India DoD 11 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at a Troop Event in Goa, India DoD 11 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Carter: U.S., India Destined to Be Strategic Partners AFPS 11 Apr 2016 -- Because of their strong ties and many commonalities between their interests and their people, the United States and India are "destined to be strategic partners in this century," Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in Goa, India, yesterday.
- India Mends Ties With Maldives VOA 11 Apr 2016 -- In a signal of a revival in ties between India and the Maldives, the president of the Indian Ocean island country committed to what he called an "India-first" policy on a two-day visit to New Delhi.
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter in Goa, India, Part 1 DoD 10 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter Holds a Media Availability In India, Part 2 DoD 10 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Carter arrives in India to advance defense ties Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- US Defense Secretary Ash Carter has begun a three-day visit to India to strengthen a relatively new defense relationship with the country.
- US Defense Chief Visits India Amid New High in Bilateral Relations VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter is in India during a wave of increased cooperation with India's military.
- Sub-Continental Divide: India-Pakistan Relations Return to Square One Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- India – Pakistan relations are on a topsy-turvy path again: despite Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's diplomatic efforts to mend ties, things are not going in the right direction.
- India Regional Polls to Test Ruling BJP's Popularity VOA 04 Apr 2016 -- In India, millions of voters are headed to the polls in the states of Assam and West Bengal to choose new governments – the first in a series of regional elections to be held over the next six weeks. The elections will test the popularity of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which suffered humiliating electoral losses last year.
- Taliban sold Indian spy to Pakistani intelligence: Senior German diplomat Press TV 03 Apr 2016 -- The Taliban sold an Indian spy to Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), says a high-ranking German diplomat.
- Pakistan Asks Tehran for Details About Alleged Indian Spy VOA 01 Apr 2016 -- Pakistani authorities asked Iran to investigate a suspected Indian spy arrested last month in Baluchistan.
- India, Pakistan Make Progress on Pathankot Terror Attack Probe Sputnik 01 Apr 2016 -- Agreements have been reached on an investigation into the Pathankot airbase attack between Indian and Pakistani investigators, top sources said after Thursday's meeting in New Delhi.
- More BrahMos to Come: India Gets Two New Supersonic Cruise Missiles Sputnik 01 Apr 2016 -- Two more regiments of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile jointly developed by Russia and India will be inducted into the Indian Army within approximately two weeks, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list