Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2016 - India Special Weapons News
- India to Allocate $440Mln Annually for Nuclear Power Investments Sputnik 29 Feb 2016 -- India will increase its investment in nuclear power to up to 30 billion rupees (almost $440 million) per year, the country's finance minister, Arun Jaitley, said on Monday, unveiling a budget for the 2016-2017 fiscal year.
- Iran Navy plans to hold joint military drills with India Press TV 25 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Navy chief says the Islamic Republic plans to hold joint military drills with India.
- India, Russia Discuss New Contract for 48 Russian Mi-17V-5 Helicopters Sputnik 24 Feb 2016 -- India and Russia have begun negotiations on a contract to deliver 48 additional Mi-17V-5 helicopters, the Indian ambassador to Moscow, Pankaj Saran, said.
- Indian First Nuclear Submarine Arihant Successfully Passes Tests Sputnik 23 Feb 2016 -- Over the last six months, the Arihant nuclear submarine has passed all the tests, including deep sea dive and missile firing, according to a source.
- Indian forces end three-day gunbattle in disputed Kashmir Press TV 22 Feb 2016 -- Indian security forces have ended a three-day gunbattle, after killing all militants who stormed a government-run facility in the disputed Kashmir region.
- Pakistan Probes Attack on Indian Air Base VOA 19 Feb 2016 -- Pakistan has formally initiated a police investigation into a deadly militant assault last month on an Indian air base and will try to bring to justice the "alleged attackers and their alleged abettors belonging to a proscribed organization,' counterterrorism officials said Friday.
- India Tests Nuclear-Capable Missile, US Looks the Other Way Sputnik 18 Feb 2016 -- In a major sign of the country's growing military prowess, India has launched a surface-to-surface ballistic missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead. The test highlights Washington's hypocrisy when it comes to nuclear development.
- Russia Plans to Seal Deal on Mi-17V-5 Helicopters Delivery to India in 2016 Sputnik 16 Feb 2016 -- Russian Helicopters plans to sign a contract with India for the delivery of an additional batch of 48 Mi-17V-5 military transport helicopters in 2016, the company's deputy director general said Tuesday.
- India Considers US Lockheed Martin Offer to Manufacture F-16 Fighter Jets Sputnik 15 Feb 2016 -- India is considering an offer from the US defense corporation Lockheed Martin to organize manufacturing of F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft in the country, local media reported Monday, citing high-ranking sources.
- Islamabad Surprised With Indian Stance on US' Sale of F-16 to Pakistan Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- Islamabad is surprised and disappointed over Indian reaction to the US decision to sell F-16 fighter aircraft to Pakistan, the country's foreign ministry said in a statement Sunday.
- 4 fighters, 2 Indian soldiers killed in latest Kashmir clashes Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Indian army troops and police forces have killed four suspected pro-independence fighters, and suffered two fatalities themselves in the latest clashes between the two sides in the Indian-controlled portion of Kashmir.
- India, Israel Prepare $3-Billion Defense Deals Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- India is preparing to conclude a set of bilateral defense agreements with Israel, worth $3 billion, local media reported Tuesday.
- U.S. Witness Says He Worked With Pakistanis On Mumbai Attack RFE/RL 09 Feb 2016 -- An American convicted for his role in the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks that killed 166 people told an Indian court that he attended training camps run by alleged masterminds in Pakistan and communicated with intelligence officers in that country.
- Jailed American Testifies About Islamist Involvement in Mumbai Attacks VOA 08 Feb 2016 -- An American in a U.S. jail for his role in the 2008 terror attacks that killed 166 people in Mumbai, India, told an Indian court a Pakistan-based Islamic terror group made two failed attempts to mount terror strikes in the city in the months prior to the assault.
- India to receive sophisticated air-launched missile Press TV 05 Feb 2016 -- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has placed an order for the only developing supersonic air-launched cruise missile in the world to become the first military power to be equipped with the state-of-the-art weaponry, known as the war-winning missile.
- Pakistani Cleric Threatens More Attacks on India VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- A Pakistani Islamist leader accused of masterminding the 2008 Mumbai attacks that killed more than 160 people has threatened that India faces a wave of violence unless it stops "military oppression" of the people in the disputed Kashmir region.
- Russian-Indian Missile to BeTest Fired From Su-30MKI Jet Before End 2016 Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- A supersonic BrahMos cruise missile will be tested from a Su-30MKI fighter jet for the first time in the second half of 2016.
- Russian, German, Spanish Subs Compatible With BrahMos Missiles Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- The BrahMos cruise missiles, made jointly by India and Russia, are compatible with modern submarines produced in Russia, Germany, and Spain, CEO of BrahMos Aerospace Sudhir Kumar Mishra said Thursday.
- Indian Air Force to Spend Up to $22Mln on Security Across 54 Bases Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- The Indian Air Force will spend the equivalent of up to $22.1 million to ensure security at its bases after an attack on one near the Pakistani border, Indian media quoted a senior air force official involved in the process as saying Thursday.
- India Could Order Additional 48 Russian Helicopters in Near Future Sputnik 02 Feb 2016 -- Indian Air Force is planning to order an additional 48 Mi-17V-5 helicopters for flights in different conditions, according to the Russian state technology company Rostec.
- Russian Helicopters Company Completes Delivery Contract With India Sputnik 02 Feb 2016 -- Russian Helicopters has delivered the final batch of its latest military transport helicopters to India, the holding company's press service said Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list