Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2015 - India Special Weapons News
- India test-fires Barak-8 long range missile Press TV 30 Dec 2015 -- India has successfully test-fired a new long-range surface-to-air missile (LR SAM), which New Delhi says, is capable of countering aerial threats at extended ranges.
- India Test-Fires Long-Range Missile System Developed With Israel Sputnik 30 Dec 2015 -- The long range surface-to-air missile destroyed aerial targets at extended ranges, making a 'quantum jump in air defense capability' of the joint Indian-Israeli effort, the Indian Defense Ministry said.
- India detains ex-army officer for passing secrets to Pakistan Press TV 29 Dec 2015 -- Indian police have detained a former Indian Air Force officer on charges of passing secrets to Pakistan's premier spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
- Third of Ka-226T Helicopters in India-Russia Deal to Be Assembled in Russia Sputnik 29 Dec 2015 -- Sixty of the 200 Ka-226T helicopters being purchased by New Delhi from Moscow as part of a new deal will be assembled in Russia, with the rest of the helicopters due to be assembled in India, the holding company Russian Helicopters said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Russia, India Sign Deal to Assemble at Least 200 Ka-226Т Helicopters Sputnik 28 Dec 2015 -- Russia and India signed an agreement to assemble no less than 200 Ka-226T helicopters in India, state technologies corporation Rostec said Monday.
- India, France May Sign Deal on 36 French Rafale Fighters Sale in January Sputnik 27 Dec 2015 -- India and France are likely to sign a deal for the sale of 36 Rafale fighter aircraft to New Delhi on January 25 during French President Francois Hollande's visit to India, media reported.
- Modi's Trip Seen as Another Step in Cultivating South Asian Ties VOA 26 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Afghanistan and Pakistan this week is a new step in the three countries' effort to find a more normal pattern of existing alongside each other, regional analysts say.
- India to Help Afghanistan in Rebuilding Statehood Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that a strong Afghanistan was necessary for peace and stability in the region and called for all Afghanistan's neighbors, including Pakistan and Iran, to unite and cooperate in a joint effort to help Afghanistan.
- Modi Makes Surprise Visit To Pakistan RFE/RL 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has made a surprise trip to Pakistan, his first visit to India's longtime regional rival since being elected last year.
- Indian Leader Makes Surprise Visit to Pakistan - New Delhi Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met up withPakistan's Prime Minister Mohammad Nawaz Sharif during his surpise visit to Pakistan.
- In Impromptu Trip, Indian's Modi Visits Home of Pakistan's Sharif VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Pakistan Friday -- the first visit by an Indian leader in 12 years -- included a stop at Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's home.
- Russia, India Agree to Boost Cooperation in Space Exploration Sputnik 24 Dec 2015 -- Russia and India have affirmed common dedication to further collaborate in developing space exploration, rocket manufacture and engine manufacture, according to a joint statement published Thursday following talks between the two countries' leaders.
- Eye on Chinese Military Power, India Seeks 100 Armed Drones from U.S. People's Daily 24 Dec 2015 -- Eying the development of Chinese troops, India has requested from the United States 100 latest unmanned aerial vehicles, both armed and surveillance versions, The Indian Express reported.
- India Says Farewell to First Godavari-Class Frigate Sputnik 24 Dec 2015 -- The Indian Navy has decommissioned the country's first indigenously designed and built Godavari-class frigate, thirty-two-years its induction.
- India's Modi In Moscow To Promote Defense, Energy Ties RFE/RL 23 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is heading to Moscow for an annual bilateral summit expected to focus on defense and energy cooperation.
- India to Deliver 4 Russia-Built Helicopters to Afghanistan Within Days Sputnik 22 Dec 2015 -- Afghanistan expects to upgrade its military with at least four Russia-made choppers.
- India May Buy Over $7Bln's Worth of Arms From Russia During Modi's Visit Sputnik 21 Dec 2015 -- India could purchase more than $7 billion's worth of weapons from Russia, local media reported Monday.
- France Agrees to Reinvest 50% Worth of Rafale Contract in Indian Economy Sputnik 18 Dec 2015 -- The French side agreed to reinvest in the Indian economy 50 percent worth of the contract on the delivery of French-built Rafale fighters for Indian Air Force, the Indian Ministry of Defense said Friday.
- Indian Authorities to Approve Purchase of 5 Russian S-400 Systems Sputnik 17 Dec 2015 -- The Indian Defense Acquisition Council (DAC) is set to approve on Thursday procurement of five Russian S-400 air defense systems during a meeting under the chairmanship of Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar, the Indian media reported.
- Russia May Equip Indian Aircraft Carrier With Air Defense Systems Sputnik 16 Dec 2015 -- Nevskoye Planning and Design Bureau General Director Sergei Vlasov said that he Indians refused to install Russian air defense systems on the Vikramaditya, but there is reserved space for Russian air defense systems.
- India to Raise Kashmir Dispute in Talks With Pakistan VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- A senior Indian diplomat says the Pakistan-ruled portion of the divided Kashmir region has been under "illegal occupation" of the neighboring country's army, and New Delhi will raise the issue, as it has always done, when bilateral peace talks are resu
- Japanese Prime Minister Leaves India with Key Agreements VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Sunday ended his three-day visit to India where he signed a number of agreements in key areas.
- India to Purchase Spare Parts for Su-30 Fleet From Russia Sputnik 13 Dec 2015 -- India intends to sign an agreement with Russia for the purchase of spare parts for Su-30MKI fighter jets for the next five years.
- Japan, India Strengthen Ties With Series of Deals VOA 12 Dec 2015 -- Japan and India on Saturday sealed their warming ties with a deal for Tokyo to build India's first high-speed train, defense pacts that will clear the way for Japan to sell weapons to India, and progress on a civil nuclear agreement.
- US-India Joint Statement on the visit of Minister of Defence Manohar Parrikar to the United States DoD 10 Dec 2015 -- Minister of Defence of India Manohar Parrikar made an official visit to the United States at the invitation of U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter from Dec. 7-10 that included visits to multiple U.S. facilities including U.S. Pacific Command (PACOM), the Pentagon, and a visit with Secretary Carter to observe flight operations aboard the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69).
- Joint Press Briefing by Secretary Carter and Minister Parrikar in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 10 Dec 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, Indian Minister of Defence Manohar Parrikar
- New Delhi to Construct Six Fast Breeder Reactors Over 15 Years Sputnik 02 Dec 2015 -- Perumal Chellapandi, the chairman and managing director of an Indian company said that the first prototype fast breeder reactor (FBR), with a capacity of some 500MW, was expected to start operations in Kalpakkam next year.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list