Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2015 - India Special Weapons News
- Indian Defense Minister Welcomes 20% Increase in 2015-2016 Defense Budget Sputnik 28 Feb 2015 -- Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar told Sputnik on Saturday he welcomed a 20-percent increase in defense spending in the country.
- BrahMos-M Weapons to Bolster India's Defense Capability Significantly Sputnik 27 Feb 2015 -- After Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) handed over the first BrahMos-A missile integrated Su-30MKI aircraft to the Indian Air Force, Indian and Russian designers concentrated on creating the supersonic mini-BrahMos (BrahMos-M) missiles, meant to boost the defense capability of India's Navy and Air Force.
- India-Pakistan: The new victims of an old border dispute IRIN 25 Feb 2015 -- India and Pakistan's decades-old territorial dispute is often portrayed as a dormant conflict, but for Zaigham Abbas it is anything but.
- India Considering Russian Shipyard for Construction of Advanced Warship Sputnik 25 Feb 2015 -- India is considering whether to place an order for four more warships with Russia's Yantar shipyard that has already built six frigates for the Indian Navy, the shipyard's acting chief executive told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
- China calls in Indian ambassador to voice unhappiness on Modi's visit to disputed territory People's Daily 22 Feb 2015 -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Liu Zhenmin on Saturday called in the Indian Ambassador to China to lodge stern representation on Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to a disputed border region.
- India's Rafale Dilemma: France Cannot Be Trusted After Mistral Faux Pas Sputnik 22 Feb 2015 -- France and India have been trying to ink the deal since 2012, with New Delhi becoming increasingly frustrated with its European partner. India wants Dassault Aviation to stick to the original terms of the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) contract. At the moment its cost has doubled.
- Last Chance: France to Attempt Negotiate Rafale Deal With India This Week Sputnik 22 Feb 2015 -- French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Drian will meet his Indian counterpart Manohar Parrikar in the week of February 23 looking to prevent the collapse of a deal to sell 126 Rafale fighter jets.
- India Aims to Boost Share in Global Arms Market VOA 20 Feb 2015 -- As it seeks to ramp up domestic defense production, India has called on global arms makers eyeing the country's large arms market to share technology with Indian companies. But New Delhi faces many challenges in its efforts to build a credible defense industry.
- Russia Ready to Expand Deliveries of Carrier-Based MiG Jets to India Sputnik 19 Feb 2015 -- Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG is ready to expand the supply of the carrier-based fighter aircraft Mikoyan MiG-29K/KUB (Fulcrum-D) to India, if New Delhi files a commercial offer, MIG CEO Sergei Korotkov told RIA Novosti Thursday.
- India Test-Fires Nuclear-Capable Missile Sputnik 19 Feb 2015 -- India has successfully test-flown a nuclear-capable, surface-to-surface missile from a test range in the eastern state of Odisha.
- Russia Ready to Send More MiG-29K Fighters to India Sputnik 19 Feb 2015 -- Russia is ready to send additional Mikoyan MiG-29K/KUB aircraft to India if New Dehli decides to increase its MiG-29K/KUB fleet.
- India to sign major weapons deal with Israel Iran Press TV 18 Feb 2015 -- India reportedly plans to finalize a major arms deal with the Israeli regime worth nearly USD1.5 billion that includes Phalcon AWACS (airborne warning and control systems) and four aerostat radars.
- Russia, India Consider Joint Production of Ka-226T Helicopters Sputnik 18 Feb 2015 -- Moscow and New Delhi are currently discussing the possibility of creating a joint venture to manufacture the Ka-226T light multirole helicopter in India, Russian Helicopters CEO Alexander Mikheev told RIA Novosti.
- New Delhi Gets Full Access to Russian New Fighter Jet Technology Sputnik 18 Feb 2015 -- Indian defense companies involved in a joint project with Russia to build a Fifth-Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) are satisfied with their access to Russian technologies, the Indian ambassador in Moscow said, denying media reports that Moscow withheld information from New Delhi.
- Russia's 2014 Arms, Military Equipment Supplies to India Amount to $4.7 Bn Sputnik 18 Feb 2015 -- Russia fulfilled $4.7 billion-worth of contract obligations on the supply of arms and military equipment to India in 2014, deputy director of Russia's Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Anatoly Punchuk has told RIA Novosti.
- Russian Arms Exporter Finalizing Delivery of 71 Mi-17 Helicopters to India Sputnik 17 Feb 2015 -- Russia and India will finalize the delivery of 71 Mi-17V-5 (Hip) transport helicopters by the end of 2015 and are currently discussing further deliveries, the deputy head of Russian arms exporter Rosoboronexport said Tuesday.
- Russia Ready to Supply Su-30 Fighters to India if French Rafales Deal Folds Sputnik 17 Feb 2015 -- Russia is ready to supply India with an additional delivery of Su-30MKI (Flanker-H) long-range fighter jets to replace the French Rafales that New Delhi has rejected because of their price tag, the deputy head of Russian arms exporter Rosoboronexport said Tuesday.
- Russia, India to Start Manufacture of First Test Models of T-50 Fighter Jet Sputnik 17 Feb 2015 -- Russia and India are moving into the phase of constructing the first test models of the Russian-Indian fifth-generation T-50 fighter jet with stealth capabilities, the deputy head of Russian arms exporter Rosoboronexport said Tuesday.
- 'Effectively dead': Media speculate on India's purchase of $20bn French Rafale jets RT 16 Feb 2015 -- Three years of negotiations between France's Dassault and the contract negotiation committee of the India's Defense Ministry on the purchase of 126 Rafale fighter jets may be about to collapse. Sources mostly blame the exorbitant price.
- Russia, India to Discuss Su-30MKI Fighter Modernization Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- Russia and India will discuss the modernization of Russian-designed Sukhoi Su-30MKI (Flanker-H) fighters, including equipping them with BrahMos cruise missiles, Russian aircraft corporation Irkut said on Monday.
- India Scraps Rafale Fighter Deal With France, Eyes Russian Alternative Sputnik 16 Feb 2015 -- India has announced that a deal to buy 126 Rafale medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) from French manufacturer Dassault Aviation is "effectively dead".
- India's swine flu death toll rises to 485 Iran Press TV 16 Feb 2015 -- Swine flu (H1N1) has claimed 12 more lives in India's Gujarat, raising the death toll in the country to 485 since the beginning of this year.
- India's Hypersonic Cruise Missile Passes Muster Sputnik 14 Feb 2015 -- India has successfully test-fired a hypersonic cruise missile, developed with Russian help.
- India’s Hypersonic Cruise Missile Passes Muster Sputnik 14 Feb 2015 -- India has successfully test-fired a hypersonic cruise missile, developed with Russian help.
- India Eyes Cheaper, Reliable Russian Su-30 Jets as Rafale Deal Stalls Sputnik 12 Feb 2015 -- India still has not decided if it will purchase Su-30MKI multirole fighters over France's Rafale fighters, but the Russian jets are reliable and cheaper, Indian Minister for External Affairs in the North Eastern Region Vijay Kumar Singh told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Pakistan's Sharif Accuses India of Kashmir Violations VOA 05 Feb 2015 -- Pakistan's prime minister has harshly criticized rival India for using "delaying tactics" to resolve the long-running territorial dispute over Kashmir. Relations between the two nuclear-armed neighbors have plunged to new lows in recent months and their armies have regularly traded cross-border fire in the disputed region.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list