Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2015 - India Special Weapons News
- India Launches Agni-5 Nuclear ICBM in Successful Test Sputnik 31 Jan 2015 -- India successfully test-launched the nuclear-capable, 5,000 kilometer-range Agni-5 missile, according to Indian news channel NDTV.
- India Considering Adding Japanese Soryu-Class Submarines to its Fleet Sputnik 30 Jan 2015 -- New Delhi is considering a project to build six Japanese Soryu-class diesel-electric submarines in an Indian shipyard, according to Indian media resources.
- India to Test Nuclear-Capable Agni-5 Missile on January 31 Sputnik 29 Jan 2015 -- India will conduct the third test of the Agni-5, a ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, on January 31, a source at the institution responsible for the launch told Sputnik Thursday.
- Pakistan voices concern over US-India nuclear deal Iran Press TV 28 Jan 2015 -- The Pakistani government has expressed serious concern over a recent nuclear deal between the United States and India, saying it will be detrimental to stability of South Asia.
- Obama: America Can Be India's Best Partner VOA 27 Jan 2015 -- President Barack Obama said India and the United States are not just natural partners, but that America can be India's best partner.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel on New Defense Cooperation with India DoD 25 Jan 2015-- Today, on his historic visit to India, President Obama and Prime Minister Modi announced new, ground-breaking agreements on defense cooperation between India and the United States that promise to open a new chapter in our defense relationship and mark an important milestone in the U.S.-India strategic partnership.
- Obama claims to 'reach nuclear breakthrough' with India Iran Press TV 25 Jan 2015 -- US President Barack Obama says he and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi have reached a landmark agreement to unlock billions of dollars in nuclear trade and to deepen defense ties, as Obama begins a three-day visit to the Asian country.
- India, US Reach Breakthrough on Nuclear Deal Following Obama Visit Sputnik 25 Jan 2015 -- US President Barack Obama and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi have announced a breakthrough on a nuclear deal between the two countries following a meeting, Reuters reported.
- Obama, Modi Break Nuclear Deal Deadlock VOA 25 Jan 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi broke a deadlock on a long-stalled civilian nuclear pact Sunday, with both leaders noting their 'friendship' as the catalyst for closer diplomatic ties.
- Russia Proposes India to Increase Scale of Joint Military Drills Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- The scale and intensity of joint military drills with India should be increased, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said to his Indian counterpart Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday.
- Russia Ready to Supply India With Anaerobic Submarines Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- Russia could supply the Indian Navy with 'stealthy' submarines, equipped with air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems if India opens a tender for them, a senior official at Russia's Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
- Russian, Indian Defense Chiefs Agree to Speed Up Joint Military Projects Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- Russia and India have agreed to speed up work on the fifth-generation fighter jet they are developing together, among other joint projects tackled during a Wednesday meeting between the countries' defense ministers.
- India May Buy Su-30 if Rafale Deal Falls Through: Defense Ministry Source Sputnik 12 Jan 2015 -- India is yet to make a final decision on whether it will acquire French Rafale fighter aircraft and sees the Russian-designed SU-30 multirole fighter as an alternative if the deal with France's Dassault Aviation falls through, a source in the Indian Ministry of Defense told Sputnik on Monday.
- Scrapping Rafale Deal in Favor of Su-30MKI Optimal for India: Think Tank Sputnik 12 Jan 2015 -- Acquiring Russian-designed Sukhoi Su-30MKI instead of France's Rafale fighter aircraft would be the most beneficial option for India in terms of price and performance characteristics, a spokesman for the Center for Analysis of World Arms Trade (CAWAT) said Monday.
- Press Availability at Vibrant Gujarat US Dept. of State 11 Jan 2015
- Background Briefing in Ahmedabad, India US Dept. of State 11 Jan 2015
- Russia, India Complete Draft Project for Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft Sputnik 10 Jan 2015 -- Russia and India have completed the preliminary design for the Sukhoi/HAL Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA), the regional director of international cooperation at the united Russian-Indian aircraft manufacturing company said Saturday.
- Background Briefing Secretary Kerry's Trip to India and Pakistan US Dept. of State 09 Jan 2015
- India Says Pakistan Lacks 'Sustained Commitment' to Combat Terrorism Sputnik 05 Jan 2015 -- Despite a decision by the US government to send aid to Pakistan, India does not believe that Pakistan is doing enough to fight terrorist groups, Indian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said Monday.
- Indian Home Minister Calls on Pakistan to Stop Ceasefire Violations Sputnik 03 Jan 2015 -- Pakistan must put an end to ceasefire violations in the northern Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, India's Home Minister Rajnath Singh said Saturday.
- India, Pakistan exchange nuclear data Iran Press TV 01 Jan 2015 -- Senior Indian and Pakistani officials have exchanged lists of nuclear installations despite growing tension between the two nuclear-armed neighbors.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list