Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2014 - India Special Weapons News
- India Clears Military Projects Worth $13 Bln to Boost Defense Preparedness RIA Novosti 25 Oct 2014 -- India cleared on Saturday a bulk of defense projects worth $13 billion in a bid to boost the country's national defense preparedness, the Indian Defense Acquisition Council (DAC) said.
- India, Pakistan forces trade fire in disputed Kashmir Iran Press TV 19 Oct 2014 -- Indian and Pakistani troops have exchanged fire along the de facto border in Kashmir during the latest flare-up of cross-border violence between the two sides.
- India test-fires domestic nuclear-capable cruise missile Iran Press TV 17 Oct 2014 -- India has successfully test-fired its first domestic nuclear-capable long-range cruise missile.
- India Conducts First Successful Test of Nuclear-Capable Cruise Missile: Reports RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2014 -- India has conducted its first successful test of the Nirbhay nuclear-capable cruise missile, developed by the country's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), NDTV said Friday.
- India Successfully Launches Third Navigation Satellite RIA Novosti 16 Oct 2014 -- India has launched its third navigation satellite, equipped with a Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C 26) carrying the IRNSS 1C satellite towards its geostationary orbit, NASA reported Thursday.
- UN Unable to Solve Problems at Indian-Pakistani Border, Dialogue Needed: Indian Official RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2014 -- Addressing the United Nations and asking the organization to help solve the conflict at the Indian-Pakistani border will not yield any results, Indian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said Tuesday during a press conference.
- Kendall Encouraged by U.S.-India Defense Trade Progress AFPS 10 Oct 2014 -- The Defense Department's undersecretary for acquisition, technology and logistics yesterday discussed the Defense Trade and Technology Initiative and how it relates to U.S.-India military-to-military relations.
- Pakistan's Malala, India's Satyarthi Share Nobel Peace Prize RFE/RL 10 Oct 2014 -- Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai has dedicated her prize to 'voiceless' children around the world and called on the prime ministers of rival neighbors India and Pakistan to attend the award ceremony in Oslo.
- Malala Yousafzai, Kailash Satyarthi Awarded Nobel VOA 10 Oct 2014 -- The Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded jointly to Pakistani education activist Malala Yousafzai and Indian children right's campaigner Kailash Satyarthi.
- Amid rising tensions between India and Pakistan, UN's Ban urges calm, dialogue UN News Centre 09 Oct 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern today about the escalation of violence along the border dividing India and Pakistan, which has seen both countries exchange gun and mortar fire in recent days.
- Kashmir Clashes Continue as India, Pakistan Trade Blame VOA 09 Oct 2014 -- Pakistan and India have continued to exchange heavy gun and mortar fire along their disputed Kashmir border, rendering almost non-existent a mutual cease-fire in the Himalayan region that has largely held since 2003. At least 24 civilians have died while thousands fled to safety on both sides since the violence broke out more than a week ago.
- Over 30,000 Residents in India Flee Homes Amid Fire Exchange at Pakistan Border: Reports RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2014 -- More than 30,000 residents have fled villages in the disputed Jammu and Kashmir state during an intense cross-border fire exchange between Indian and Pakistani troops, The Hindu newspaper reported Thursday.
- Adventurism in Kashmir could cost Pakistan dearly: India Iran Press TV 09 Oct 2014 -- India has warned that Pakistan will pay an "unaffordable" price if it continues shelling the Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- India Avoids Hitting Civilians in Retaliatory Attacks Against Pakistan: Border Official RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2014 -- India's retaliatory attacks against Pakistan in the disputed border regions of Jammu and Kashmir do not target civilians, Border Security Force Director, Gen. D. K. Pathak, told RIA Novost Wednesday.
- Villagers leave their homes amid violent clashes in Kashmir Iran Press TV 07 Oct 2014 -- Thousands of people have abandoned their homes in the disputed Kashmir region, following deadly cross-border clashes between Pakistan and India.
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's Meeting with Indian National Security Advisor Ajit Doval DoD 01 Oct 2014
- Hagel, India's Prime Minister Discuss Defense Issues AFPS 01 Oct 2014 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel met with India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Blair House yesterday to discuss a range of bilateral defense issues they face, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby told reporters.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list